Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie after some advice  (Read 2396 times)

AndieM

Newbie after some advice
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Hello all,

I'm 46 and for the last 3 months I've been having terrible pms, (anxiety, tearfulness, think the world is ending, very angry,  brain fog and giddiness) this disappears once my period starts.

Still having regular periods although my cycle has gone from 30+ days to 21-26 days the last few years.
I have a 4 day period which are painful for the first couple of days and are very heavy.

I popped into the health food shop and they recommended Agnus castus which I've been taking for the last week.

I also saw the doctor for advice and asked if I could have a test to see if I was perimenapausal and she said they diagnose on symptoms.
Anyway she offered my AD's for my anxiety or cerazette mini pill.
I didn't want to take the AD as I was concerned about some of the side affects.
I have a prescription for the mini pill but they are sitting in my medicine cupboard!
Not sure if I should try the Agnus castus for a few months or the mini pill or just soldier for now?

Sorry for the long ramble! Any thoughts would be appreciated  :)

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Newbie after some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »

You are peri menopausal and you should not be offered anti depressants as a first line of defence. I despair of some GPs I really do. If you want to try HRT, go back and ask for it after looking at the preparations on this site and also printing out the NICE guidelines for your out of date doctor. Or try and different GP in the practice. You should not be denied this medication. Word of warning though- it isn't always the answer, it can take a while to hit on the right combo for you and you need to give it at least 3 months to work.
You should also give the herbal supplements the same time to work. Again, there are alternative threads on here.

And lastly, welcome AndieM - keep in touch. We are all here to offer support x :welcomemm: :foryou:

AndieM

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:42 PM »

Thanks Michelemabelle

It's such a mind field, not sure where to turn, I can cope with most the symptoms it's the pms which I'm finding really hard, would HRT help with that? I don't get any hot flushes, just an occasional night sweat during my period.
I'm wondering if anyone else is taking cerazette for PMS, I don't need it as a contraception as husband has had the snip.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »

Can't comment on the cerazette but hopefully others can. Oestrogen be hugely beneficial for wellbeing and mood but it can get cancelled out by the progesterone part of the therapy, depending how you get on with it as it can sometimes amplify PMS type symptoms. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »

Eating regularly can ease PMT symptoms.  Have a look at the NAPS web-site, they advised me to eat every 3 hours 24/7 when I had bad PMT in the 1990s.  Gentle exercise can help too.

Your GP is outdated but was probably prescribing according to what you presented with.  Do read up here.  Make notes.  Decide which symptom/s you want to relieve.  Blood tests are reliably un-reliable.  My Gynae goes on symptoms.  Maybe keeping a mood/food/symptom diary will help to be clearer when you go to see either your Practice Nurse or GP.  Have a look-see on the Surgery web-site to see if there is a GP interested in womens' health.

:welcomemm:

AndieM

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »

I have a fairly good diet and try and eat regularly until the PMS comes and then it goes to pot!
I go to the gym, do spin classes and walk the dogs everyday and that definitely helps.
I'm going to try a mood/food/symptom diary, that sounds like a really good idea, thank you  :)

Freckles

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »

Hi AndieM
If you are peri-menopausal then sometimes your hormones will fluctuate, so periods and symptoms of PMS will therefore vary.
Sometimes herbal remedies, like Agnus Castus are considered effective when  you are peri menopausal but that most likely is due to the hormones behaving themselves on a "good" cycle. It's  a different situation when you hit the menopause proper. 
I do realise some women really advocate herbal remedies, so it's just my opinion.
Obviously eating well and exercise is always a good idea
Being offered AD's is appalling! I had suggestion that from my (admittedly often cited) 12 year patronising GP.
As to a "diagnosis based on symptoms"  that's rubbish.  It's a simple blood test to assess hormonal.
Plus peri-menopausal "symptoms" aren't  just physical but can also cause psychological problems- anxiety, low mood, lack of motivation, etc.
When I was peri- menopausal I had no physical symptoms at all  but plenty of psychological ones (which I'd never had before)
I had to argue with my then GP for blood tests and then getting  HRT, as apparently feeling you are going mad, being unable to function properly, etc is "normal" for being peri-menopausal and the that menopause should be put up with about five years as it's "natural".
Of course it is, but  anxiety and depression isn't. Neither is having a C-section when giving birth to an overweight or distressed baby.
Sorry, rant mode there!
Obvious thing to say, but if your symptoms are due to a hormonal imbalance, then you most likely need HRT, not AD's or the mini pill as they won't address  peri menopausal or indeed menopausal  hormonal imbalances
Contraceptive doses of hormones are not the same!
I'd read around on previous threads on MM to get plenty of information.
Generally trans-dermal (i.e. gel or patch forms of oestrogen) are considered safer and more effective than the tablet version.
Once you have read around on here then consider your options.
Personally I'd ask for your hormone levels to be checked by your GP and to read up on the NICE guidelines on HRT before you see him/her. Quite often GP don't know about these and just prescribe AD's as they are cheaper and easier  to offer.
Whatever you decide to so, good luck!
Freckles x

AndieM

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 05:22:40 AM »

Thanks Freckles
I'm so glad I've found this forum :)
Things just didn't seem right when I saw the Doctor, I felt she was fobbing me off with the medication.
I'm going to have a good look around this site and hopefully get a better understanding of my options xx

Daisycat

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »

Hi Andie

I joined yesterday too :)

Great forum and great members I have to agree.  Gosh I feel better already!!!

xx

AndieM

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 06:43:07 AM »

Hi Daisycat
Yes it's a relief to know I'm  not going mad!!!
So much information to absorb, so glad we have these ladies to guide us through :)xx