Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Am new to Menopause matters, and well...menopause itself!  (Read 1636 times)

Hollyhock

• First Flush
  • "Good things are to come."
Am new to Menopause matters, and well...menopause itself!
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »

Hello All,
I was wandering around the garden this aft, looking madly for my sunglasses.  Gosh if I didn't look everywhere, and then I asked my husband if he'd seen them.  He looked at me oddly and said "they're on your face, silly".  We laughed, but for me, I felt this familiar sense of "what the hell has happened to my brain"?  Familiar, in terms of the last 3 months.  Other symptoms include aches and pains in my joints, insomnia, restless legs, headaches, increased appetite, weight gain, bad skin, and big time fatigue...ugh!  All very standard I suppose, but a little distressing none the less.

I'm off to the Doc's on Monday morning to talk about HRT.  If anyone has any hints or thoughts about how best to approach this with one's GP, then please send your thoughts this way.  I'm aiming for natural HRT, thanks to much that I've read on this website.  Thanks so much for all the great info, by the way.  It's a big subject and it's so wonderful to have some insight, thoughts and sage advice from some pretty wise women.

Next phase of life...Here we go!
Hollyhock  :o

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Am new to Menopause matters, and well...menopause itself!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »

Hi Hollyhock- all sounds pretty normal.
A lot of the oestrogen preps are bio identical but only 1 progesterone and that is Utrogestan. It can be used in conjunction with oestrogen preparations but a lot of consultants prefer to use it with oestrogel which can be tweaked according to symptoms.
Vaginal use of utrogestan can help bypass some of the symptoms associated with progesterone use but the starting point for most GPs is a tablet preparation- most of these contain synthetic progesterone and these can cause issues for some women although many get on with them. The next option is usually a transdermal patch so the gel and micronised progesterone isn't normally offered straight off.

There is no magic solution I'm afraid- it'll be trial and error for you until you get something that suits and you need to give it time.

Sometimes testesterone is also needed but you'd probably need to have a really understanding GP or consultant to prescribe this. Have a good old browse round the site regarding HRT preps and do not be fobbed off with ADs if this is the route your GP tries to push you down.

Good luck- let us know how you get on x

Hurdity

Re: Am new to Menopause matters, and well...menopause itself!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »

Hi Hollyhock

:welcomemm:

Good luck with the doctor - Michelemabelle has given you good advice

All the different HRT types are listed under the Treatment tabs above (HRT preparations).

Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x