Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: recycling  (Read 10408 times)

Firewalker50

Re: recycling
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »

We have
Black bin - general waste.
Blue bin - plastics, cans, paper cardboard and other recyclables.
Brown bin - garden waste and food waste - emptied in summer.
Small brown bin with biodegradable bags in the house for food waste - emptied into slightly larger brown bin outside for food waste - emptied weekly when summer brown bin not being emptied.
Green bin - bottles and glass of a certain type.

I don't want to have an armoury of bins sitting in my kitchen - and don't really have the space, so I tend to have a couple of bags in the utility room - general and recycling which I empty into the larger bins daily.  The small brown food waste is inside, and I nip outside to put glass in the brown one.

I agree with the principle but is it practical to have so many bins.  Some houses hav eto have them outside the front because they may be terraced and no access to the back.  It is unsightly.   
I happen to have what was a dead space just at the side of the house and so I had it framed and decked and I keep the bins there.  they look neat.  otherwise, it would irritate me having so many.

CLKD.  I had a friend who operated a wormery out the back and created his own 'baby bio' type garden food.  perhaps you could have a look at something like that and see if that would suit?   I did not grasp it at the time but it made perfect sense and it really did recycle all the garden and food waste into something he could use for his (beautiful and lush) garden.

Fx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »

We have a wormery, it's known as a compost  ;) ......... we don't use the liquid in the same way as it seeps into the ground.  It will be the best soil for miles around when we move the compost onto the garden  8)

Our family have composted for over 100 years (so far)

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:10:17 AM »

Sorry CLKD but that sounds as if your family are being composted.

;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »

Yep ........... sort of  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

But not in your back garden I hope.

;D

Honeyb
X

lily

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »

How impractical that we all have different coloured bins for things, why not the same everywhere?  We have:

Grey bin for unrecycables and food waste - emptied fortnightly
Brown bin for garden waste -emptied fortnightly except winter
Blue bin for plastics, cans etc - emptied fortnightly
Small red box for glass -emptied fortnightly with blue bin and these are alternate weeks from grey/brown bins

We keep the 3 large bins out back and the small red box in the garage, hate when it's windy and the red box gets blown away then have to hunt it down!

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »

I get really confused....what and when.

My mum had a pull out permit.....easy....should be but she insists that her back gate is locked so I have to take the bin out the day before but because she has the permit and lives alone the bins only go out once a fortnight. I get so mixed up.

It's all so difficult.

Honeyb
X

Firewalker50

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »

Hi Honeybun.

I know what you mean about frequencies of different bins and different days.
I don't know about your council but our has the facility online y
To print month at a glance diary with pictures of the bins on the relevant days. Prior to finding that I used a kitchen diary and added it in for the year. I also put it into my phone diary with a reminder set when I needed to put them out.  Not being a Smartypants. Just wondered if something like that would help?

Fx

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »

It's the pull out permit thingy that confuses things because it does not apply to every uplift.

If we could just let them come in the garden and get the bin then that would solve the problems.

I have it written on her calendar but I have got it wrong more than once  ::)

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »

Ours are emptied every other week - I have to carry the card with the dates on to the bins otherwise I forget  >:( .......... apparently our men are only working a 4 day week now  ............

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:57 PM »

I put this into the search 'up there' and it didn't show up and a lot of my 'unread posts' don't show either  >:(

I digress: did anyone read the article in the Sat. Telegraph, Joanna Lumley went to Africa to follow where our recycled clothes from M&S/Oxfam finish up?  Really, really interesting - I read it at 12.30 this morning waiting for the neurofen to kick in  :D

Firewalker50

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »

No - I did not read it CLKD.  But I have located it and will read it tomorrow.
Thanks.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »

I didn't read the article re Joanna Lumley very closely after all that  ::) - skimmed through the 1 in the Guardian at the weekend and wondering how we can become 'less' plastic?

I try to carry either 'bags for Life' to the shops or hessian bags ........

Meat comes on a black tray covered in a plastic type film - some can be recycled, others not
Some of the weekend papers/magazines are plastic wrapped - it seems to vary as to where the papers are printed
Bags in the supermarkets have one paper side the other plastic for bread  :-\ - I tend to separate when putting into the bins
Soaps - all wrapped in plastic although apparently Lush have plastic-free toiletries and ScoopAway (Bristol) and Better Food Company sell toilet rolls not wrapped in plastic
Tea bags apparently contain a small amount of plastic so will try to buy loose leafs in future

Seeing the photos of Hamilton Island recently where most of the World's discharged plastics land up has re-alerted me: Must Try Harder  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »

Where to store them though  ;D - we have 2 vehicles; a cupboard under the sink another under the stairs, all possibilities to forget to take them along, plus two Onyas  ::)

cubagirl

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »

We just got new bins for recycling cans, bottles. However plastics are more difficult. Some can & some can't. Arghhhhhh
Pages: 1 [2]