Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Frequent urination  (Read 19180 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Frequent urination
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »

Take Nurofen?  It stops the feeling of the need to pee by relaxing muscles.  It works for me!  There isn't much point in a GP giving a repeat prescription for a medication until it's proven to work .........

Ljp

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 09:47:44 PM »

Jemp, are you watching what you are drinking? Coffee is a massive problem for me.
Also distraction can help…when my anxiety was at its worst, so was my frequency, it was a visious cycle, the more I thought about it, the more I had to pee, the more I had to pee, the more I thought about it.
Kalms tablets used to help a bit, especially for relaxing me at night.

I definitely am so much better now I'm on HRT and estring, and vesicare

Don't suffer it, get to your GP as soon as you can and discuss what's happening xx  :bighug: :bighug:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:38:13 PM by Ljp »

TinaOptimist

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »

I agree with Ljp. Avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, tomatoes even. Look up bladder friendly diet if pos. hope you get the better of it. My doc wanted to prescribe Vesicare but I am managing fine re my bladder on HRT and Ovestin smeared near my urethra. Hope you find the right thing for you.

Taz2

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 10:38:53 PM »

I have to have full HRT plus vagifem to keep mine at bay. I started off with a continuous low dose antibiotic to stop the frequent infections which weren't actually infections at all but just microscopic blood in the urine etc. and I had to educate my doctor about topical oestrogen (vagifem or ovestin). She then prescribed Vagifem and this worked for a while but then only full HRT made me feel more comfortable.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Taz x

Jemp

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »

Thank you all so much. :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Mbrown001

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »

Buscopan which is mostly for IBS can be used to help with a painful bladder.
If you have a Google then you can read about it.

Just thought it might help meantime.

Mrs Brown

Eviepf

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »

I was just going to suggest buscopan and see that Mrs Brown has beaten me to it! It's definitely worth a try when symptoms are bad - I keep it in my 'armoury'of things to try when in need. My GP suggested I try it and it can definitely help, as a short term measure.

Jemp - are you experiencing all the symptoms of what feels like a UTI, or is it 'just' the frequency? Either way, maybe you could try AZO? It turns your wee bright orange, as it's actually a dye, pyridium, which numbs the bladder. It's very much a temporary solution - can't be used long term at all - but I've resorted to it occasionally when things have got really bad. It's available over the counter in the US, but only online in the UK, I think. You can get it via Amazon.

I really sympathise and hope you get things sorted out soon. I'm currently hoping that systemic HRT plus Vagifem will help me deal with this horrible thing......

Jemp

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »

I think I have some Buscopan somewhere- I also suffer from IBS- so will try it. I now have a prescription for more Vagifem so hopefully things will improve. Frequency and urgency are really the main problem although I do feel sore today. I do wonder whether all this was set off/ made worse by a smear test and/ or cycling too much?

Eviepf

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »

Definitely try the Buscopan and there is also the old standby of sodium bicarb (small teaspoonful in a large glass of water morning and evening) although this is not a good idea if you have problems with high blood pressure.

Good that you now have a prescription for more Vagifem. Did the GP suggest that you do the two week loading dose again (one pessary every night)?  I hope this will sort things out for you soon.

You could keep AZO in mind though, as a last resort if ever needed. It does sound rather extreme, I know, and I had some in the cupboard for months before I dared to try it. It's meant to be a short term measure for UTI, until you can get to the dr for antibiotics (hollow laugh.....). Hopefully all will be sorted by then so you won't even need to consider it!

Eviepf

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »

Also meant to say that the smear test and cycling could probably have made things worse....

jessieblue

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »

I have suffered with this exact same symptom too!!  I have been told its very common in meno and is an effect of depleting oestrogen.  I couldnt get on with the ovestin cream tho as it gave me terrible thrush but I find YES vaginal moisturiser very helpful and I am much more comfortable most of the time.  I think I am in need of some systemic oestrogen too.  I hope you get some relief from HRT for this horrid symptom.  You are def not alone here.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 10:17:22 PM »

Diet has never affected my bladder or VA. 

Jemp

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:27 PM »

5 days in to the daily Vagifem and things don't seem to be improving this time. Still got a constant urge to pee. Trying to avoid getting panicky but convincing myself this is something more serious such as Bladder cancer. Daughter's wedding in two weeks and I don't know how I am going to cope.

nicolcarrie70

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »

What is your current HRT regime?  What have you taken over the last few days?

Eviepf

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 09:33:46 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that things haven't improved yet, but it's probably still early days. Hopefully, things will soon start to get better.

As others have said, some people do seem to need both topical AND systemic HRT to overcome VA issues (this is what I'm hoping will help me) but I get the impression this is a minority - for most women, the localised estrogen seems to do the trick, although I know even for them it can take a while.

I know all this isn't much comfort to you at the moment, when you're feeling so dreadful. It is truly horrible and I know that your daughter's wedding being so soon must be causing massive stress (which in turn just makes the symptoms worse).

I know I keep banging on about AZO (I don't have shares in the company, honestly!) but would it be worth a try, just as a very temporary, one-off measure? I'm just thinking that, if you tried it in advance of the wedding and knew that it would help you get through the day, it might help you to worry less about it. I'm always very reluctant to try new drugs or remedies, so I took a tiny amount to start with as an experiment then built up to the recommended dose once I knew that I'd had no adverse effects. I'm due to go to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in July (much anticipated, but nowhere near as important as a wedding!) and knowing I can use AZO if I need to is very reassuring.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6