Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Measuring Hormone Levels on the NHS  (Read 2403 times)

FoggyMoggy

Measuring Hormone Levels on the NHS
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »

This may seem a bit obvious but why don't we get our hormone levels routinely checked on the NHS to see what might need a boost? I guess it'll all be down to cost

Tempest

Re: Measuring Hormone Levels on the NHS
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »

That, and because they change on a daily basis if you're in perimenopause. If post meno or post surgical meno., then testing is more likely to be used on an occasional basis to monitor if HRT is being absorbed correctly if an adequate dosage of HRT is failing to control symptoms. Hope this helps! xxxxx
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:04:23 PM by Tempest »

linfit

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »

That, and because they change on a daily basis if you're in perimenopause. If post meno or post surgical meno., then testing is more likely to be used on an occasional basis to monitor if HRT is being absorbed correctly if an adequate dosage of HRT is failing to control symptoms. Hope this helps! xxxxx

Hi
I am now post menopause and several years ago I went to my GP about swets etc, to ask if I had a Thyroid problem. She said she would test for that and sent me away with leaflets about menopause and said the tests for meno. were expensive. Anyway, I went away and several years later presented with UTI symptoms to be told I had VA. The GP has recently said there is no point in testing for hormone levels as they change so much!?....was I fobbed off, do GPs know or care. It's a mine field.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »

Having had a hysterectomy years ago I relied on hormone levels to indicate where I was because I had so many symptoms apart from hot flushes

FoggyMoggy

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »

Thanks for all your replies. I guess I will wait until my hormones settle down a bit then.