Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Peri symptoms but normal FSH levels?  (Read 6906 times)

miffy

Peri symptoms but normal FSH levels?
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »

Hello all I'm new to the forum, although I've lurked for a few weeks. :)

I'm 47 and been having night sweats for a few years and more recently this has been joined by very tender breasts (like early pregnancy - but my husband has had the snip!), far worse PMT which starts much earlier now and includes severe irritability. I'm also having trouble sleeping. No experience of hot flushes though.

I have been on antidepressants for years and have been stable in that regard for a long time.

I saw the GP who thought these symptoms were peri menopausal, and sent me for an FSH and thyroid tests. Apparently both came back normal.
Am I not perimenopausal then?
Thanks!

Dennylou48

Re: Peri symptoms but normal FSH levels?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »

Hi miffy the blood tests are not very reliable as it depends where you are into your cycle, it's sounds like it, that's how I started off 4 years ago but was and still is in the peri menopause, it can be a long journey for some like myself but I will persevere with it all and just keep telling myself eventually it will all level out. Xx

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »

Hi miffy, welcome to the forum. What are your periods doing? Normally perimenopause is diagnosed when periods become irregular. Normally they get closer together and then become unpredictable.  Some women have heavier periods, others lighter.

Might be that you're in what is called late reproductive stage at the moment. You could start taking notes of symptoms and your cycle, might help make sense of it all

miffy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I should have said that my periods have been all over the place - 25 to 38 days- lately plus some light mid cycle bleeding which I've never had before.
Interesting that those tests aren't reliant. I guess I want to know when it's time for hrt. I've done my research and keen to try it . But doctor thinks I'm not a candidate now.

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:15:30 PM »

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23

You could have a look here maybe

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »

I believe that FSH starts rising when egg numbers are extremely low to try to stimulate them, so it's when you're very close to menopause, the more clinical and measurable perimenopause / premenopause.

Prior to that, for around 10 years, progesterone starts falling and oestrogen may surge and this all causes hormonal imbalance but it's not decipherable from a blood test. This is why the docs should go more by symptoms than bloods as NICE recommends.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »

Hi miffy

:welcomemm:

What ADs are you taking? Some of these are actually prescribed for hot flushes so it could well be that the reason you are not having these is because the ADs are suppressing them. Unfortunately in your case the doc may well be using this (lack of flushes and sweats) as a reason not to suggest HRT. As nearly50 and dangermouse say the NICE Guidelines recommend docs should diagnose menopause by age, cycle and symptoms, over the age of 45.

Also - as the others have said - blood tests are unreliable. When were your bloods taken (in your cycle) and what was the actual reading? You can ask for this (or look them up online if you have access).

If your cycle consistently varies by more than 7 days and you are experiencing adverse symptoms then you are likely to be in early peri-menopause at your age. If you are hoping to try HRT then do your homework and go back to your doc and perhaps ask for a low dose preparation eg Femoston 1/10 which is well tolerated by many women. Later you might need a higher dose.

Hurdity x

miffy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »

H Hurdity
thanks for your reply.

I take duloxetine (cymbalta) 60mg daily plus a very low dose of amitriptyline (20mg). The latter is for long term bladder pain.

I get night sweats but not hot flushes.

The FSH test was done on day 12 of my cycle.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »

I wonder what your readings actually were ( of FSH and oestrogen)? If blood tests are to be used in order to test for peri-menopause anyway it is recommended that blood is taken on days 3-5 of the cycle so the doc should not discount your results in light of your age, the meds you are taking, your cycle and your symptoms!

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

If you want to try it - then yes why not ask for Femoston 1/10 as a low dose tablet HRT? You can always stop it if it doesn't work for you and wait until nearer to menopause. Try to find a doctor in the practice who understands menopause and is sympathetic towards women taking HRT. Do your homework, write some notes or print off anything you need - and then go back armed with your knowledge and determination!

Good luck!

Hurdity x