Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: IBS and Immodium use  (Read 3490 times)

Mbrown001

IBS and Immodium use
« on: May 25, 2017, 03:24:50 PM »

Has anyone had any guidance from a GP over the use of Immodium for IBS ( D )

Some days needs must if I want to get out of the house but I'm wondering if it's actually such a good idea. I know when you have a bug then you are better to let things run but with IBS there is no bug.

They cause a bit of cramping for me and a bit of a hollow tummy feeling.
I was prescribed these by my GP years ago but I can't remember what was said as to how and when and how often.

So any advice would be appreciated.

Mrs Brown

coldethyl

Re: IBS and Immodium use
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »

I don't have IBS, but Loperamide ( brand name Imodium) is routinely prescribed for people with ileostomies to thicken output- I was told by my stoma nurse that up to 12 a day was fine so I'd think the occasional use for IBS D would be fine- if they give you cramping, then a Buscopan might help- I had to take the two in combo for several weeks post bowel surgery and no one seemed to think it was a problem. Why not pop to have a chat with a in house pharmacist as they are best placed to make suggestions and aware of contraindications.

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »

For a while a few years back I was taking almost on a daily basis. I wasn't very knowledgeable on the variations of dairy content, plus many items didn't declare it back then.  I was told it wasn't a good idea to use too often as I may cause the opposite. Thankfully I've seldom been constipated.

I still have in my bag, kitchen cupboard & bathroom unit.  I think GPs feel it's best to avoid the cause, like dairy or whatever, though as I know myself that's not always possible.

Many pharmacists tend to refer to your GP, as changes in bowel habit could be something else.

My DIL took a whole pack once, pack of 6, on holiday. Couldn't go again for about 2 weeks. That caused it's own problems, so needed Senna.

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »

Your hubby reminded me of our trip to Egypt- obviously everyone on cruise got the jippy belly so were eating Imodium like sweets but only I'd also packed a packet of Senna- I was everyone's new best friend!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »

I find Pepto Bismol good for controlling the runs. It doesn't cause constipation and I find it calms things down generally.
Also, have you tried a low fibre diet? White bread, potatoes and rice, chicken and fish etc. When I was recovering from a colonoscopy a few weeks ago I did this very bland diet and it really worked  - Ive gradually added in fruit and veg and things are much better now.
DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:58:26 AM »

A few years ago, I suffered from food poisoning. It necessitated a doctors visit after a few days of spent in the bathroom and little sleep. He advised me to take Imodium at this stage, as the gut was irritated and everything harmful had been got rid of already. It did calm things down. I have used Imodium with caution since and rarely more than one dose at a time, as it can calm down a gut that has got into a pattern of behaving. I only use it at the beginning of a diarrhoea attack if I have to go out in an emergency. I do have IBS with a tendency to constipation that can swing the other way, but have found Imodium used cautiously hasn't resulted in constipation.

breeze

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »

I can't take it.  Like many meds it really makes me feel rough. Dry mouth, heady and sick.

Rather have the runs :scottie:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »

If one requires Immodium for security reasons then go with the flow ;-).  i.e. if 1 has to be somewhere by a certain time and knows that the bowel may well play up ....... but do try it prior to the event in case there is an adverse reaction and to see how long it takes B4 it works.  It shouldn't be used daily as it can bung up the system ;-).