Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anti Depressants  (Read 2687 times)

Chris2107

Anti Depressants
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »

I have been on ADs for 9 months for a host of historical reasons. The ADs and some talking therapy has helped deal with them. My counsellor has said it is quite usual to combine both approaches to deal with depression.

What the ADs have given me is space to stand back and be calm and the talking therapy has allowed me to explore and resolve things that have hurt me since childhood. As a result I have changed my approach to difficult situations and am a much more chilled rational person. In time I will come off them. But I will not rush it.

I used to think ADs were the devil's own thing and there was a stigma attached to taking them. There should not be. In addition ADs can help with hot flushes too and are part of the recommended things to try for HRT.

So I would encourage our community not to be down on ADs - its not a sign of strength not to be taking them and its not a stigma to be taking them. For some of us this time of life is when things can catch up with you emotionally, at a point where you feel vulnerable. So we should welcome all the help that is available and not categorise it as "good" or "bad". This is not meant to be a get at anyone - we are starting to move well in mental health awareness and I think we need to be open to the different things that can help us as we transition through the menopause.
On a lighter note - the ADs do suppress my sex drive so thank goodness for the HRT ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anti Depressants
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »

:thankyou: and  :welcomemm:

I have a long spell about my depression on here somewhere - without ADs, BBs and an emergency drug to combat anxiety I wouldn't be here!

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »

thank you from me too Chris as I have been down the same road with long buried trauma leading to a breakdown leading to ADs and therapy for 12 months.  I agree with the points you have raised and have been through a struggle with acceptance of using ADs.  Now I am happy to share my life with them because they are friendly little things really and do a lot to help me  :)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »

If you have a headache do you not take pain relief?  If you are hungry, do you not eat ..........  ::)

samweller161

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »

Great post Chris

I have mentioned before about the stigma attached - but I read recently that it will affect 1 in 3 people during their lifetime and thats a few million of the population (or even a few billion).  When I look around the office, I guess there must be several other folk taking them (I take Ecitalapram) but it's never something anybody talks about.  Like CKLD, I have been on them for several years now with peaks and troughs.  My daughter in law is currently campaigning for more mental health awareness and it does seem that finally people are taking notice of its importance.  Am very glad they worked for you anyway and the CBT (I didn't find this overly helpful actually but appreciate lots of folk do)

Keep up the good work!

SP x

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »

Escitalopram (Cipralex) here too SP, 16 months now, low dose @ 5mg  :)

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »

I've been on them for seventeen years, I did change about a year ago but they really help me xx

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »

Me too Lil.  It took a while to accept I need them but I am ok with them now thanks to support from another member of this forum  :)

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »

Ah that's good babyjane, I just look at it as long term, I was on citalapram 30mg for 15 years although did get down to 20 the last couple  of years but felt very low so tried a few others, I'm on venlafaxine now and find them great for me. Xxxx
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:55:44 PM by Lil22 »

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »

The thing about anti-depressants and the main opposition to them you might encounter (on this forum) is when they are prescribed instead of HRT for menopausal symptoms - not prescribing ADs per se - for the reason they were intended! It is that there are still docs who are out of date and reach for the ADs - dishing them out like sweeties to allcomers of a certain age complaining of a myriad of (menopausal) symptoms - as the easy option (for the docs that is!). The NICE Guidelines of Nov 2015 said they should not be prescribed for menopause, but that HRT is the preferred option - unless of course a woman has sound medical reasons why this ( HRT) should not be prescribed. Even if there are residual menopausal symptoms (like anxiety) - it seems to be the norm from what I've read for women to be offered these as well as HRT - when perhaps behavioural/mental strategies and coping mechanisms might be preferable long term. If the symptoms are due to other long-term issues and nothing to do with menopause then fair enough, although wouldn't it be good if docs would first offer talking/thinking therpaies before drug treatment?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »

As we don't know what the lady presents with in Surgery, the GP probably prescribes what is known to work the quickest! regardless of menopause symptoms.  For me my mental health is paramount - NO CBT, relaxation therapy helped my anxiety, I am not a suitable candidate for hypnotherapy so medication is the way forwards. 

Both depression and anxiety can be killers.