Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and Flying  (Read 7903 times)

Cobra49

HRT and Flying
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »

Hi all
I am a new member, wanted to ask if some of you are only on oestrogen HRT and was told by my doctor, that when you fly you should get up and walk around, due to chance of clotting..
There is nothing in my family of clotting, or heart disease plus I am very active and do strength training and cardio 6 days a week, it's just worried me slightly...
I mean how many thousands of woman fly that are on HRT, it's ridiculous just wish they hadn't said anything, am not a keen flyer anyway..
Can you all let me know if you are on HRT and fly and have been fine, and it's only a 4hr flight.. Thank you

cubagirl

Re: HRT and Flying
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:24 AM »

I'm on HRT & have done 9 hour flights. Think everyone is recommended to move about on flights if possible. I can't sit still for long on a flight. Always take aspirin prior to a flight, helps to stop possible clotting. Personally I would take precautions on any flight 4 hours or more.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:51 AM »

IVe been on oestrogen for years and flown, admittedly only max @5 hrs but honestly I've never had a problem.  You could wear those stockings and have a pee break half way through the flight.  X

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »

I have done 10 and 12 hour flights.  It is unbelievably boring, especially if you are following the night round the earth over the arctic circle so there is nothing to see.  You can get up and walk around, go to the loo several times.  Often, they put left over snacks, juice and water out for people who are not sleeping (they put the lights down so you can pretend it is night, even though it is the middle of the afternoon in the time zone you set off).  In the very big plane I went on, you can take a turn round the deck, but not up and down the stairs.  On the smaller one, they put the stuff at the back so you could go to the loo, have a drink, and look out of the window.

I expect the shorter flights are worse, because you think it is not worth getting up and try and hang on to use facilities at the airports, so don't move around much.

NB - my biggest problem - do I put the vagifem in the hand luggage?

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »

Yes, the best advice is to move around when you can and do the leg exercises as recommended. DVTs could be a complication for some women who take HRT, just as it is if you are confined to bed when ill or sit in one position for hours. And keep hydrated on the flight. I always buy a large bottle of water once I get through security particularly as I don't drink tea or coffee. I fly to the USA at least once a year and have not had a problem. I do put on some special socks, though I think the jury is out as to whether they make any difference. I do have a male friend who had a DVT following a long haul flight. And he wasn't on HRT! Usually there are other factors involved, like a family history. Just be sensible during the flight and seek medical help if your leg becomes painful, red and swollen.

Salad

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:06:04 PM »

Always sensible to keep your legs moving  :)

Mind you whenever I fly I find the seats so uncomfortable that I can't really sit still  ;D

Enjoy your trip.

Cobra49

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »

Thank you for getting back to me, has put my mind at ease.. No family history and it's only 4hr flight, feel better now I have read comments.. Thanks

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »

Done at least 12 flights since being on hrt. Varying from 2 to 12 hours. No problems.