Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kidney stones  (Read 6387 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Kidney stones
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »

Some people just get them.  I know someone who gets them regularly every 2/3 years, and her father did before her.  My uncle gets them every 5 or so years.  There was a paper in the European journal of urology that was looking into causes, but I was none the wiser after reading it  :D

Drinking plenty of water so that your urine is straw coloured is the only real proven way of reducing the risk by any substantial amount.

I used to get lots of night sweats - I used to keep a glass of water by the bed to drink in the night - it helped cool me.  I still do, but I sleep better now, so sometimes it is still there in the morning  :)  so I drink it in the summer.

margaret

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »

I think it's about 2 litres a day

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »

Asparagus can cause them apparently  ::)

katsclaws

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »

Thank you for starting this thread Margaret. I have been reading about high oxylate foods which may contribute to kidney stones as my diet consists of high oxylate foods (lots of rhubarb and spinach from our garden and beetroot.) I do drink lots of water though.

dahliagirl

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 10:03:55 AM »

There are some sorts of kidney stones that are caused by repeated UT infection (struvite)

margaret

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »

When I went to see the doctor yesterday he said it's usually around this time of year people get them, probably the start of the nicer weather

dahliagirl

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »

Yes mine was May too. The weather changes and you just get that little bit thirsty, not having got used to it and do not realise how much.
It is the same when you go to hot countries,and when travelling and avoiding using toilets.
I find that I do not get tired in heat if I keep my water with me. 8)

Still, it is worth avoiding the spinach and rhubarb (and grapefruit) if inclined to stones along with antacids and make sure you have th proper amount of calcium in your diet (not supplements).

Keep drinking    :D

Annie0710

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

My tiny one was August
Pages: 1 [2]