Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Still trying to determine what my body is doing  (Read 1583 times)

Lizab

Still trying to determine what my body is doing
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »

The last few days I have had night sweats and daytime heat and headaches so frequently that I've considered putting on a patch again. And Sunday I was emotional crying over anything. These are the signs of low estrogen, right?  But here is my confusion, at the same time I had clear stretchy discharge, not so much as ovulation used to make, but significantly more than the desert that I have lately. So that would be a spike in estrogen, yes? All right, then fluctuations rather than excess or deficiency must be my problem.

I wonder what gentle approach I could use for smoothing these fluctuations. My diet is excellent by American standards, still some room for improvement. I am exercising, getting fresh air and sun. The biggest help for me has been working on sleep habits, trying to go to bed two hours earlier than I normally would, whether or not I want to. All in all I don't feel terrible now but it sure is hot in here. My husband says one could hang meat in our house but I am a sweaty mess.

I am not keen on trying supplements and obscure herbal remedies as I don't want to upset my thyroid, but I am open to "normal" herbal teas or adding foods to my diet. Wouldn't it be great if a daily cup of chamomile is the miracle cure for me?

Elizabethrose

Re: Still trying to determine what my body is doing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »

I wish I could offer a solution Lizab, this was what my peri was like for years. It's like one giant hormonal roller coaster ride.

You're right that the flushes are usually a sign that the oestrogen has dropped BUT in my experience it could just be a fall from a great height to a still high position that triggers the flushes. The stretchy egg white type mucus is certainly a sign of high oestrogen and that would stay with me continuously for months sometimes, riding right through anovulatory bleeds.

I really don't know that anything exists that will calm this if you are sensitive to hormone change. Certainly HRT just exacerbated the problem for me because it never suppressed my own cycle so I had double whammy high levels of oestrogen.

Just do what you're doing, eat well, try and get some sort of exercise and maybe try some relaxation exercises, none of that's going to do you any harm. But really, I think it's a case of just trying to ride the storm. Pain in the butt!

Sorry I couldn't offer a miracle solution x

br350

Re: Still trying to determine what my body is doing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »

I agree with elizabethrose. I had this many times in early peri - extended bouts of feeling like I was going to ovulate, the stretchy mucus, emotional, very ready, etc.  I think these are hormonal swings. At the time, I tried HRT and it only made it much worse.  I wish there was something more helpful I could say. You're not alone!