Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy and Colpotrophine/Promestriene?  (Read 4282 times)

Kkay

Vaginal atrophy and Colpotrophine/Promestriene?
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »

Hello everyone,

Here I am back again with my VA questions.

I've been taking Vagifem every single night since February. I got better verrrrrrrrry slowly and actually had a few weeks in April where all the symptoms were GONE. Then BAM ! Its all back; bladder irritation, painful peeing, burning outside and in, the works. I've had endless urinary tests, there's no infection, nor is there thrush or BV or anything else. Just VA.

Here's my question: Ovestin (Estriol) isn't available where I live, but apparently Colpotrophine (which is made of Promestriene according to the net) is sold here. I've read it's used in France for VA.

Does anyone here use this? Or know anything about it?

- Miserable in VA hell. 

Hurdity

Re: Vaginal atrophy and Colpotrophine/Promestriene?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »

Hi Kkay

Sorry to hear you are still suffering and also that your post got missed - probably you will assume from the lack of response that no-one has any experience of it. I hadn't heard of it until I saw your post but had a quick look, and seems like it has been around for 40 years but outside the UK - now anyway. Promestriene is a synthetic oestrogen and works on the vaginal tissues in the same way as estradiol and estriol - and according to what I read (I only had a quick glance) does not cause systemic absorption - well presumably this is minimal.

If you can't get Vagifem then why not give it a try - what is the dosing interval and is there a similar "loading" period followed by a maintenance dose, which can be varied depending on symptoms?

I hope you manage to get on with it and we would all be interested to hear about whether it works or not. I wonder why it isn't available in UK - or maybe it was once but then the bioidentical oestrogens were chosen in preference?

Hurdity x