Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 3543 times)

Cobra49

Fitness
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »

Hi everyone..
I am 49 and started peri menopause I think that's what it's called, I have the coil fitted so am only taking oestrogen it's called Ellestre solo 1mg...
Anyway I have been going to the gym for 10wks now, 6 days a week mainly doing weights, I am not really seeing any results feel stronger but the weight is not coming off, what is happening where am I going wrong can anyone help me.. Maybe I need to do more cardio or could it be I am over doing it???

peri

Re: Fitness
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »

Hi Cobra

How long have you had your coil?  I'm presuming it's the mirena?  I have one too and I've found I can't shift an ounce since I had it fitted in January.  This despite exercising regularly and eating sensibly (no puddings, limited bread, very little alcohol).  Other symptoms I had initially have settled but I seem stuck with the bloating, it would be perfect if it wasn't for that. It's a downside of having constant progesterone I believe.

Also, yes doing weights can add muscle which weighs more than fat.  Hope this helps x
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:49:24 PM by peri »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:33:31 PM »

:welcomemm:

do you have a personal trainer?  Weights will add muscle = maintains weight  ::)

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »

Be careful you don't over do the weights , no of too many ladies who have got prolapses from staring this sort of regime at our ages, very hard on the pelvic floor and not in a good way.

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »

Maybe good to look at body fat % rather than weight. If you feel stronger then that's good, but think 6 days a week is maybe a bit much. Could do some swimming or walking instead some days?

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »

Hiya, I just posted this in another thread today.  :)

can I say this - don't over exercise  :gym:.

If you have been used to exercising all your life then there is no reason to stop  :spin:.  However if mild or moderate exercise has been normal for you then please resist the scaremongering media/press who would have us all over-exercising in a bid to ward off old age  :hapij:.  I did this and caused myself physical harm so now I exercise at a level that is right for me, and that is not the same every day either  :bunny:

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »

Swimming is my exercise of choice nowadays. Too much walking & my knees / hips hurt. Didn't swim today, so went for walk. Hurpled all the way back. Heck I'm only 60.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »

Hurpled?  ???

cubagirl

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »

Sorry Scottish term for limping. I do forget myself sometimes.  ;D

Jimsmrs

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »

Hi Cobra 49

I have just returned to a fitness class twice a week at my local gym, more to help with depression than weight loss.., but I did go from a top heavy 34Gcup to a 32G and no muffin top over my jeans.
It's dance moves, not as fast as Zumba, but fast enough!!!!😳..a few ladies there go for to lose weight and because I'd had a break from going for about 11 weeks I could see the difference in them, one lady had lost a stone while I was away, her goal is to lose another 3 stone.
She uses weights to tone up especially on her arms and tummy

Have a look at the centre you go to to see what dance classes are available

Hope this helps

Jimsmrs

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »

Sorry Scottish term for limping. I do forget myself sometimes.  ;D
:thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »

Love it - hurpled  :-\

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »

Hi Cobra

As CLKD says adding muscle won't make you necessarily lose weight.  You need to do some sort of aerobic/cardiac exercise as well if weight loss is your goal.  It can be anything from a dance class, Zumba, swimming, cycling, jogging.  I also exercise several times a week but like to keep things varied so mix things up a little.  Your gym probably also offers exercise classes - have a look and see what they do.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »

Tnk Greyhoundgal - I borrowed a puppy several years ago when I wanted to stabilise my weight, it took 14 months of daily walking for miles B4 I got to feeling less lumpy  ;D.  Remember that housework and gardening, walking to/from the shops, skipping, cycling, brisk walking as well as enjoying the scenery with a flask helps to stabilise weight  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:27:31 PM »

Yes I agree as already said - it isn't just about body weight - it's about fat vs muscle. You will put on weight if you increase muscle but eventually you will lose. This is because muscle increases your basal (resting) metabolic weight meaning it is possible sometimes to eat more not gain weight (provided you eat sensibly and cut the sugar and carbs and limit the fat). Muscle requires more calories than fat cells weight for weight.  Eat plenty of low fat protein, with lots of fruit and veg ( and dairy but not cheese!). I always take my measurements as well as weight myself. if you do this you might notice your shape changing as your fat burns and muscle develops - even if your weight remains the same or only decreases gradually. Can't comment about the Mirena although I always seem to expand a little when on the prog phase of my cycle and can't imagine what would happen if I took it all the time.

Hurdity x