Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spaced out feeling  (Read 7986 times)

jorainbow

Spaced out feeling
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »

Dear all. Is this a peri symptom? I ask because I recently tried EMDR and the therapist tried to say it was dissasociation due to a past trauma usually childhood. Other than a bit of the usual kids being mean I didn't suffer any trauma. Nearly convinced me I was losing it (which is easy given my anxiety) The feeling comes and goes with no pattern with an excellent example of today. Walking around town started feeling anxious then spaced out feeling got worse then I just wanted to burst into tears. Got home had a cry and now feel fine. I'm at ovulation (given a normal cycle). Just curious.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spaced out feeling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »

What is EMDR?

I feel woozy nearly all the while due to the medication I take without which I wouldn't get out of bed  ::)

How is your diet over-all?  If the body/brain get hungry = woozy feelings  ::)

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

It's supposed to help with anxiety - a bit like tapping but using eye movement. Suggested by a friend but I didn't like it one iota! Appetite not brill CKLD not sure if it's down to anxiety/mood but when anxious I can't eat. I'm eating a fruit veg vit d smoothie a day plus iron supp and metatone to top up if needed. Sleeping better though!!!

edelweiss

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »

Yes it is a peri symptom Jo. I'd say you need estrogen and I know you have a px now, but hopefully all will resolve when you start taking it xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »

I can never eat when anxious, hence the emergency tablet which knocks me out to allow my body/gut to relax.

That doesn't sound enough from where I'm sitting!  Tapping nor other ideas helped me not one jot!

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »

Yes!!!! Jo, I'm on no HRT at present and have no ovaries, and I get this most strongly. It's the symptom I hate the most! :'(

It's not disassociation - I got hit with this at one time during my previous dealings with mental health services. If you read Lizab's posts, you'll see that she describes this too. I get mine for approximately 90 minutes, twice a day at the same time no matter what I'm doing or have eaten, stress levels etc. It floors you so I completely relate!

Sending you biggest hugs! xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »

At what time of day Tempest?

Tempest

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »

I get one at 11am ish and another at 5.00 pm ish, even if i've eaten and they last about 90 minutes, CLKD. I've measured blood sugars (have a monitor) and BP (yet another monitor - Hubby's) and the only thing that shows up untoward is an increased pulse and raised dist. BP (bottom number), but still within normal range. My BP is always on the low side of normal. xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 03:31:26 PM »

How long after you've eaten ......... or is it after exercise or taking medication or  :neutral:

Lizab

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

Definitely a symptom! Thank heavens it seems to be getting better for me, along with I'm trying to learn to cope with it. The spaced out feeling is awful. I can feel it coming on but can't snap out of it. It's a real struggle to carry on with whatever I'm doing. I've asked my husband if he can see when this is happening to me. Do I do anything differently? He says no, only that my nervous habit of playing with my earrings starts up. However, my friend in the same stages of peri as me gets the same thing and I can see it in her. Her face gets a very determined looked and she keeps her eyes straight on whatever she's tending to at the moment. I can tell she's really struggling to stay focused and carry through when it happens.

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

Its one of the magical (I jest) mysteries of meno., CLKD! I wish it would just b###er off!  >:( xxxxx

jorainbow

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »

Thank you all! Tempest - magical is one word for it!!! And yes  i wish it would do the same. On a bad day it can last hours - usually to late afternoon. Its awful and though i do ignore it when you feel like youre talking out of the back of your head its difficult to keep a conversation going!!! Thanks for the hug 💜
Edelweiss the letter arrived yesterday so I'll be banging on the gp door on Monday!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:18 PM »

Heavens jorainbow - I'd ditch the therapist although you must have gone to him/her for a reason. Fancy telling you that this is due to trauma. Blimey! Everything put down to childhood experiences? What rot!! - all therapists should understand women's hormonal issues and menopause as well as physiological issues which could cause this - blood sugar has been mentioned. Hormones are another. Balance issues are another. I also get spaced out feelings - I'm on full HRT and bloods are always normal. Who knows what causes them but sometimes I have to hold onto things. I mostly completely ignore it because I can function and it is intermittent. Maybe a balance thing in my case as I often have the sensation that things are moving when they are not, and if I've been in a boat - get these sensations a long time afterwards - ie several hours!

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is interfering with how you function day to day.

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »

Yes I'd agree with all, a peri symptom. I get this worse at ovulation too.

I practice EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing) but it's to treat post-traumatic stress disorder, phobias (as the mildest condition) and other trauma. It's not actually like the tapping (although most people make that assumption understandably) as it's actually replicating rapid eye movement to reprocess painful memories. It's a great therapy but not if you don't have any trauma to deal with!

edelweiss

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »

Yay Jo!!! Was the letter hand delivered... by a tortoise?! Never known a mail so snail.

Anyway, at least you have it now and you can get on the good stuff next week. Brilliant and hope it works its magic for you very soon. xxx
Pages: [1] 2