Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wanting to change hrt - any advice  (Read 2619 times)

Emiflo

Wanting to change hrt - any advice
« on: May 18, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »

Hi  :) I posted in new members but rambled slightly and wasn't very concise (forum first timer) so please bear with me.  I am 49 pm for 2 years and have been on premique low dose for 9months - recently insomnia has come back and some joint pain, otherwise symptoms better although I have zero libido and was hoping hrt would help.  Saw gp today as needing new prescription and mentioned that I wanted to change as felt uncomfortable using conjugated oestrogen and it can be hard to get hold of - she went through bnf and said there wasn't an alternative similar to my dose - I was in and out in 5 min and felt really despondent.

So I have found this lovely forum and have searched the menu and posts but am feeling rather lost, I don't want to use conjugated oestrogen but I don't know what alternative to ask for  - can anyone offer any advice as an alternative to the premique ld - majority of my other symptoms have been better on it apart from libido.  Thank you x

cubagirl

Re: Wanting to change hrt - any advice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »

Hi there, I'm not sure about such things. I used to be on Premarin, but wasn't happy about being on it & my GP changed me to oestrogel, two pumps per day. Now on patches. I'm sure there must be an alternative for you too.

Mbrown001

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »

There really are quite a few to choose from.
If you click on Treatments at the top of the page then a list will come up for peri menopausal, post menopausal, and women who have had a hysterectomy.
I'm not sure about the strength of the HRT that you are taking but the Treatments list will tell you and then you can figure out what alternative HRT would be best for you.

Lots of GPs are sadly lacking in knowledge. It then comes down to us to do the research and then print it off and go back to the GP fully prepared to ask for what we want.

Mrs Brown

Emiflo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »

Thank you  - I had looked at list of low dose treatments but just wasn't sure which would be best when switching from a conjugated oestrogen to estradol also what the different progesterones mean.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »

Hi Emiflo

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your inadequate consultation. Yes it is tricky to know which to change to because the equine oestrogens do work a bit differently as they contain a mix of oestrogens. However as this is low dose then the safest thing to do is to choose something from the list of low dose preparations - if you want to continue with tablet HRT. I think tablet HRT may not be the best for libido and ditto taking progestogens continuously as progesterone dampens libido - but the only alternative to this is going back to cyclical HRT and having a withdrawal bleed.

If you wanted to just change one thing at a time - then Indivina would be your best option as this contains the same progestogen - so your body would just need to adjust to the different type of oestrogen - ie estradiol (which is bio-identical to the one in our body).

If you wanted to choose a combi patch - they just come in one dose - which is medium and standard for post-meno women. The 50 mcg dose is licensed for prevention of osteoporosis.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Emiflo

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »

Thank you Hurdity  - yes that does help I did speak with the gp yesterday and she has prescribed me Everol Conti patches which I am picking up today.  Having found this great site and read up more I think I would rather use a patch and I am a shift worker so a bit hit and miss with my tablets.  I was going to try 1/2 patch but having read your advice to my other post I will go with the full one

Have a good weekend x
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:00:06 PM by Emiflo »

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »

Good luck and keep us posted - hope it does the trick :)

Hurdity x