Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: post meno bleed and investigations  (Read 2793 times)

shirley moore

post meno bleed and investigations
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »

Hi just looking for some advice.  Back story: early 70's so menopause ages ago.  No problems, but just recently had a bleed which was pretty scary.  It stopped after a couple of hours.  I saw a gynae who did an internal exam and biopsy.  After that I had a transvaginal scan.  Anyone else had these investigations and it turned out to be OK.  I'm so worried it could be the big "C".

Hurdity

Re: post meno bleed and investigations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »

Hi shirley moore

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your bleed but of course it is the right thing to have this investigated. Did the sonographer or gynae tell you the thickness of your womb lining or whether they could see any irregularities - when I've had similar they usually tell me on the spot what they can see, even though the scans are sent to the GP.  Depending on the outcome of the preliminary investigations you may be sent for a hysterosocopy (camera examination of womb lining and biopsy (to check the cells if the lining is thicker than normal).

Sometimes bleeding can be from the cervix or even the vagina if tissues have thinned.

I had some slight bleeding over 60 (at the wrong time) - but I'm on HRT. I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy following the transvaginal scan - and nothing was found to be wrong except for a thickened lining and also a cervical ectropion. The fact that they did a biopsy I did find slightly alarming as an irregularity was found. This turned out to be a small fibroid. I didn't get a satisfactory explanation for the bleeding so I just accepted this - slightly different situation though.

I can't offer you reassurance as no-one can say what the cause of the bleeding might be until after the results of your investigations, except to say please try not to worry too much (difficult to do I know) - you are in good hands and hopefully the outcome will be that all is well.

Hurdity x

:bighug:

Bananarama

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »

Hi Hurdity, think I may know you in another "life"!Yes, the gynae was present when the radiologist did the transvag.  I have a copy letter today which says in the report: "endometrium approx 12 mm including fluid (soon after pipelle.")   I had the pipelle biopsy about 20 mins before the scan.  When I went back to the gynae office after the scan the consultant said there was nothing "overt".  Its hell cos I have to wait about two weeks for the results of the biopsy and I must stop googling! He's given my options depending on the biopsy.  So hope it will turn out to be a polyp or the second option was simple/complex hyperplasia for which I would need hysteroscopy and Mirena coil.  The third option I'm trying very hard not to think about.

Woodlands

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »

Hi there.
I had all of these tests just last Friday and a CA125 blood test for ovarian cancer markers......thankfully no sign of ovarian cancer in bloods..but I too wait for biopsy results.....I park the worry until I find out whats happening .
Go steady.
Woodlands xx

Bananarama

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

Hi Woodlands,
Think we should hold hands together with everything crossed for good results!

Lynanne

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »

Yes me too appointment on Tuesday for hysteroscopy I know I have a polyp and atrophy.
Nurse seemed to think this was the cause but caution is being used.
Not too worried but of course there is a niggle.

Bananarama

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »

Good luck Lynanne.  Please let us know how you get on.  I find it very hard to "park" the waiting and worry when I need to.   I'm definitely a glass half empty girl but hearing other people also going through the same thing really helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »

Hi Hurdity, think I may know you in another "life"!Yes, the gynae was present when the radiologist did the transvag.  I have a copy letter today which says in the report: "endometrium approx 12 mm including fluid (soon after pipelle.")   I had the pipelle biopsy about 20 mins before the scan.  When I went back to the gynae office after the scan the consultant said there was nothing "overt".  Its hell cos I have to wait about two weeks for the results of the biopsy and I must stop googling! He's given my options depending on the biopsy.  So hope it will turn out to be a polyp or the second option was simple/complex hyperplasia for which I would need hysteroscopy and Mirena coil.  The third option I'm trying very hard not to think about.

Ooer - hopefully not in real life! Like most of us, I try to make sure I remain incognito by not giving away many personal details!! Do pm me when you have enough posts (10) as I would rather know if you have and do know me!!!!

Were you the original poster - I'm a bit confused as I think I addressed my post to someone else ???

Anyway - yes the thickened lining could be the reason for the bleed so I can imagine why you are  concerned - but try to hang in there while waiting and do something to take your mind off it if you can. There are several stages between thickened lining and the big C which you can look up - endometrial hyperlasia is a consequence of thickened lining and depending as you say, whether simple or complex and whether the cells have "atypia" (dividing oddly I think) - this could lead to cancer - but the proportion of women who do eventually have cancerous cells compared to thickened lining I think is very low ( sorry don't have the stats) and even then there are several stages and usually complete recovery if caught early. I hope that might have reassured you a little rather than alarmed you.

Take care :)

Hurdity x

Lynanne

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »

Went to PMB clinic this morning huge sigh of relief.
Ultrasound showed slight thickening but 99% sure i just had a hormonal blip and a slight period ( especially as I started getting flushes etc again). As for my polyp tried to remove it but couldnt think it is coming through from my uterus so will schedule a hysterscopy to remove it. 

Bananarama

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

Glad you have got it sorted.  I'm still waiting!  There is a delay in the lab re the biopsy result.  High anxiety levels here.  I'm well post menopausal and was really scared by the bleed.  It lasted a few hours.  So hope I get some news soon.

Lynanne

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »

Hi I really wouldnt worry I had a lovely nurse and gynae sonographer who talk me through the scan said i had a very slight thickening and fluid however she was not at all concerned and did a biopsy just to be sure and a biopsy of the small bit of the polyp as it was stubborn only 5-10 days wait. But she seemed positive that it was just my hormones still playing havoc. I had not had a period for almost 2years so was surprised but it also explained the flushes and period type pains. Apparently this is quite common. Sure yours will be something silly too.

Bananarama

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »

Glad you have a result.  The fear is always the worse part.  Always feel better when there is a plan.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

Glad there doesn't seem to be anything untoward Lynanne and hope you hear soon Bananarama :)

Hurdity x