Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Changing HRT  (Read 1425 times)

Daisie Phillips

Changing HRT
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »

I am 53 and started taking HRT just before I was 50 due to difficult symptoms.
I have been taking Indivina 1mg/2.5mg for about two years and it has suited me well. I am currently living abroad and this HRT is not available where I live. I have been relying on going home and getting my usual prescription however I did have to take an alternative type of HRT that is available which is Femoston 1/10mg for a couple of months. (It is difficult generally to get hold of HRT in the UAE where I am now living).

I was hoping to have enough Indivina to last me until I visited the UK but do have a shortfall of tablets so will need to take Femoston again for perhaps a couple of months.

My question is is it unwise to sometimes alter the prescription?
I am now thinking I need to consider letting my UK GP know that I will be abroad for an indefinite time (will probably have to come off their register) and opt to take Femoston 1/1mg permanently, I'm just a bit reluctant to do this because I think the Indivina suited me well but thinking its not ideal to keep swapping the prescription. With thanks Daisie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Changing HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »

:welcomemm:

It really can be Trial and Error!  I would send an e-mail to my GP for advice.  It may be possible for you to have more if it's possible to get it through Customs into UAE.  Is there not an ex-pat community with a European GP, Hospital or a Company Medical Dept. if you are working there?

How much difference is there in controlling symptoms between the 2 products?

How's the weather ;-). ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »

Oh ! and what is the time difference, it's 11.45 a.m. here  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »

Hi Daisie Phillips

:welcomemm:

If a preparation is suiting you then yes it can be unwise to keep changing especially if they contain different hormone formulations which these two products do. One contains estradiol valerate and the other pure estradiol. The progestogens are different too. However if you didn't have any side effects from temporarily changing to Femoston in your case then it's fine to do so - it can't do any actual harm - just could be irritating if your body reacts to the change.

Hurdity x

Daisie Phillips

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:17:32 PM »

Hi, thanks so much for the replies. I think my fear was that it could be doing some kind of harm in swapping from one to another. I think i will have a proper chat with my UK GP in July about the differences and then go back to the doctor I visited in the UAE who was helpful but wanted to immediately refer me for more invasive treatment which they tend to do out here because its all based on insurance claims. I do want to explore coming off HRT anyway and this could be the time to seriously consider it.

To answer your questions its three hours ahead here and very sunny and always hot!!

Thanks once again for your replies, much appreciated Daisie