Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Femoston conti question  (Read 3335 times)

Clara4825

Femoston conti question
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »

Hello, it is so great to be able to read others' experiences, and to know that I am not going mad.
My story is I'm 54 and been struggling with night sweats and insomnia for about 3 / 4 years. I've been reluctant to go on HRT due to the cancer scares. I thought each ear that it would go away but it hasn't. Last year I was at the end of my tether. No sleep, dowsing myself in cold water  2 or 3 times a night or standing outside my back door!. Returning to bed my sheets feel like they'd been run over with a hot iron! A feeling of unbearable heat all over. This will be familiar to all…
Finally I decided to accept the risks of HRT and went to my GP who agreed was a good idea. This all had to wait however, as I was then diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  Whilst I was undergoing surgery x 2 and treatment my symptoms completely disappeared. I wonder why that was?  (I'm grateful for small mercies). However, symptoms have come back now, including dry skin, forgetfulness and the last straw was at work this week when I struggled to do tasks that I wouldn't normally have a problem with, burst into tears and could not stop crying.  I am a mess. (It's very difficult to cope with the menopause when you work full time).
Last night it was my usual terrible night time routine - 4 hours sleep, 11pm to 3am, going to the toilet a few times, then giving up on sleep and watching TV for an hour. Attempted sleep again but only got about half hour 6 - 6.30am! Insomnia and overheating, what a combination.
So 2 weeks ago I started taking Femoston Conti. I am nervous about it, who wouldn't be after reading all the possible side effects inside the packet. I am SO looking forward to sleeping soundly again.
My question is when do the tablets start to work?!

Greyhoundgal

Re: Femoston conti question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »

Hi Clara

Your story could be one of ours, so familiar.  I've recently returned to taking HRT having decided to give myself a break from it.   The first couple of months off were fine but my symptoms soon started to return with a vengeance.  I had all that you have written, not sleeping, tearfulness, stupidity at work (and home),  hot flushes, the works.  My lovely HRT nurse took one look at the list I had written her (forgetfulness was another symptom ;)) and suggested that it was hormonal and to start back on the HRT.  I had already been on Femoston Conti with no problems so she put me back on it - I have to admit I felt better almost as soon as I came out of the surgery just to have someone sympathise with me and confirm my thoughts but I think it took around 3-4 weeks before it really kicked in.  Femoston is one of the kinder HRT preparations out there so if you can hang on you should start to see some changes pretty soon I imagine. They usually recommend giving it 3 months anyway before thinking about changing but by then you may be settled on it and decide to stay on it.
Good luck (and stop reading the side effects ;))

Clara4825

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »

Thank you for the reply Greyhoundgal. Only a couple more weeks to go then :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

Hi Clara4825

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer and hope you make a full recovery soon. Do you have to have any additional treatment eg chemo or radiotherapy or was it fortunately (if you can ever say that about cancer) localised to the thyroid?

re the HRT: you are making the right decision. Unless you are medically contra-indicated and are otherwise healthy (cancer aside) then this is the best treatment for your debilitating symptoms. Women can live 30 or more years post-menopause and you do not know how long your symptoms will last. Therefore your quality of life now while you are still young, is important so that you can function. Lack of sleep is impossible to live with long term. I started HRT at around the same age as you and I am still taking it in my mid 60's. I have enjoyed life to the full since then and do not feel there is nothing I can do. I have now retired so that makes things easier - even so I have plenty of energy and a good night's sleep.

Yes I agree that you need to give it time - usually oestrogen should begin to take effect within days although tablet HRT sometimes takes a little longer, and yes do take it for the full 3 months so that your body can adjust. How long is it since you last had a natural period?

I presume you are taking thyroid medication? There can be some interaction with tablet oestrogen especially so if you are also settling into the correct dose here - you may have a few ups and downs before things calm and you feel the benefits. You will need to be able to identify the cause of your symptoms - ie if your thyroid levels are askew or if your oestrogen levels are still not high enough.

Also I expect you are making sure you are modifying other lifestyle factors if necessary to minimise health risks and put your body in the best possible shape for the years ahead.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Clara4825

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »

Thanks for the reply Hurdity and I'm sorry for the late reply.
I am sleeping much better now. I still have the odd hot night but nowhere near what it was. So these tabs definately work. I've had a bleed every couple of weeks for 4 days which is annoying. I've read that this should stop after 6 months. I now realise that I have not slept properly for years and how much it was affecting my life, one just gets used to it, we put up with it.

Re my cancer yes I had radio iodine therapy. I have my 6 month check next week. I've been on the same thyroid medication since the op in December and I feel fine in that respect.

All I need now is to fix my low sex drive them I'll be all sorted!

Ladies beware of dismissive male GPs about HRT. I made the mistake of not going to my usual (female) Dr and saw a man for my first repeat prescription. His words were to the affect  'what do you need to be on HRT for, just for night sweats?, beater blockers can help that, are you aware of the risks etc." I said I had discussed all risks with my Dr.  He seemed reluctant give me the prescription. He also said my thyroid levels were wrong I was on too high a dose.  I left feeling very cross and a bit weepy.  A week later I had my thyroid blood test and my current prescription was fine, no changes needed.
 I was given beta blockers initially but they were awful. Had no affect but to send me to sleep at my desk in the afternoon!

Captain

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »

Hi Clara4825
I was prescribed femoston conti for a range of menopause symptoms, the most challenging being hair loss. I was told to give it 3 months, but one month in I'm feeling a bit better all round. I also had a vit d deficiency, so maybe it's the supplements that are providing the boost in energy and clearer thinking. Alas still balding at a ferocious rate. Glad to hear bleeds stop after 6 months. It was a bit of a shock to me after 18 months to have to search in the back of the cupboard for pads again  :(

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »

Thanks for the update Clara4825 and glad you are feeling better generally. That's appalling about your male GP - although sadly the dismissive attitude is not confined to males! Fancy wanting to give you beta-blockers for hot flushes instead of HRT - totally against current guidelines! There is too much of this sort of thing going on but hopefully it will gradually improve as awareness increases and with the help of those gynaes and docs out there who are doing all they can to publicise the symptoms of menopause and the benefits of HRT where possible. :)

You do get used to bleeds again Captain - don't faint but I (along with some others) have chosen to have them even in my 60's - due to not wanting to be on continuous progesterone but wanting to remain on HRT!

Hurdity x