Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Terrible feeling of soreness despite use of topical HRT  (Read 2671 times)

sjb0610

Terrible feeling of soreness despite use of topical HRT
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »

I am experiencing a horrible constant feeling of vaginal soreness that is there all day and night despite using topical HRT which I thought would help that.  When I get swabbed by gp or gynae they always seem to find something - anaerobic bacteria and most recently group strep b.  I thought topical HRT was meant to stop this happening encouraging the right environment for the useful bacteria (lactobacillus) to grow which dominated before the menopause.  Something must not be right if the bad bacteria continues to dominate.

Last night I used a boric acid pessary prescribed by consultant for possible yeast.  Had a very wakeful night with an even worse burning (acidic) feeling down below.  Have 5 more to use for the next few nights...... Will it get better? 

Has anyone had this using topical HRT and managed to overcome the soreness and growth of bad bacteria?  If so let me know what I can do....  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:04:10 PM by sandyjack »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Terrible feeling of soreness despite use of topical HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »

Yep.  What have you been prescribed?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »

Try using Multi Gyn Actigel - it's brilliant at restoring the flora balance, it will treat BV and Thrush and will reduce soreness. Once things have settled use SYLK vaginal moisturiser daily to maintain things. Keep using the Vagifem alongside all this. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »

:thankyou:  DG

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »

Hi sandyjack - are you still using estrogel (noted from previous posts) and if not, how long did you take this for? Sometimes systemic HRT is needed along with local oestrogen but you would need to take it for some time to reap the benefits as it doesn't work as quickly as local oestrogen.

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »

Hi sandyjack - I sorted my thrush-like problems (redness and swelling with a bit of grot) with canesten tablets and the Multi-gyn flora plus (which is the same as Dancing Girl's Actigel, only more liquid with a daily applicator) before using her method of a little of the actigel swished round daily (also cheaper  8) )  It does sting the sore bits when you put it on, but it goes better.

I once had a bad case of real thrush, back in the day when you had to go to the doctor (not good experience  :-[ ), and I  was given pessaries to take over several days.  I remember being really sore with them, and the horrible things crumbled into a gritty, sticky mess  :(  Then I had to have the diflucan tablet anyway.  Boric acid sounds  :o :o :o :o :o

:tulips2:

Eviepf

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »

Re boric acid pessaries - not from personal experience, but from what I've read elsewhere I believe that boric acid is now thought to be a good 'non-drug' treatment for thrush although I agree it does sound very alarming. 

I'm quite impressed that the consultant prescribed it, however, this isn't much help to the patient if it makes matters worse during treatment! I guess this is quite likely to happen as the area is so sore anyway, so I don't know what the answer is.

Sandyjack -sorry you're having such a hard time at the moment and hope you can find something to help. As others have suggested, Multigyn is definitely good to try.