Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie, wondering what's happening to me!  (Read 2566 times)

Woo50

Newbie, wondering what's happening to me!
« on: May 15, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »

Hi, I'm Woo, I'm 50 years old and I believe I may have found my rightful place in the world here!

OK so a little about me. I take Cerazette (mini pill) as contraception, which stopped my periods several years ago now, definitely a bonus. But at my age now, I wonder whether it's time for a pill break to see where I am. I suspect quite strongly that I may have reached menopause. I suffer with anxiety anyway, always have done, but I have noticed lately I am more irritable with it, and less patient in general. This in spite of my usual anti-anxiety meds. I appear to be gaining weight at a quite scary rate, I leave pools of sweat in the bed at night (I'm quite a catch!) and bruises and broken crockery are testimony to my utter clumsiness. But the main reason I have landed here is that I went to see my GP this morning because I am finding sex painful...I described it to her as feeling the like I did after giving birth when I had some small tears, very stinging and also at times itchy. (I thought I was getting thrush and applied cannisten, nearly shot through the roof!!)

I was quite upset after seeing the GP, she asked to examine me, didn't draw a curtain round the bed, just watched while I undressed. She did a quick examination, took a swab, told me I am drier than I should be so buy some KY Jelly, and dismissed me before I had my knickers back on. I know it's probably nothing to her, but I think I would have come away much happier with maybe 60 extra seconds of her time while she let me dress properly and reassured me that it's normal or something!

Anyway. Advice? Sympathy? Just general camaraderie so I don't feel like a total time waster?

babyjane

Re: Newbie, wondering what's happening to me!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »

Hiya, glad you landed here, good to meet you.  :welcomemm:

Um, 50 years old, vaginal soreness and dryness and 'go and buy some KY', is that it?! Blimey her bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired.  Yes it is normal, for this time of life and is down to hormones, that said there is plently that can be done if she had given you that extra 60 seconds to listen.  Is there a less rushed GP at your practice you could go to for another opinion. A lot of us use vaginal oestrogen in the form of pessaries, cream or a ring that can be inserted and it is readily available.

Hang in there, other ladies will be along soon to welcome you and share their stories and advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »

LOTS of sympathy on here, which eventually that GP may well need.  :kick: I would have a word with the Practice Manager about the lack of privacy.  In a multi-cultural country ladies need to feel protected and although GPs have really 'seen it all B4' each patient should be treated with dignity!

OK - have a browse round, make notes,  :welcomemm:, nowt is taboo and you will see that we all drop things, have 'silly' moments, suffer with vaginal atrophy [My Bladder etc. is 1 thread].  There are 2 prescribed medications which your GP could have offered you, Ovestin1mg and Vagifem - if U use the search button for these you will see the threads pop up!  Treatment is essential and easy enough to use.  For me it was like razor blades up there  :o  >:(

We use KY Jelly for sex as well as the outer lips to keep mine soft.  Or I put a dab of Savlon on the outer lips but himself tells me to be careful not to cover anywhere else as it's known as a healing cream ;-). 

Is there a Practice Nurse you could chat with or a GP dedicated to ladies issues, they will have specific letters after their name.

Woo50

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »

Thank you! I am just looking at the GP website now and a couple of GPs list Women's Health as their special interest..It's not clear from the letters after their names who is most qualified though! Just my luck to see someone who doesn't mention that...I was just relieved to see a female doc, how wrong was I!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

;)  Her Time Will Come ..........  :-X

Oh, we have a 'funny' room too ........

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »

Hi Woo50

:welcomemm:

What an appalling consultation!

Yes it might be an idea to stop the pill at this point and see where you are in menopause and whether your periods return. However if you've started getting night sweats and the dreaded VA then it sounds like you are at least peri-menopausal and your oestrogen levels have probably fallen.

There are several articles on vaginal problem on this site:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php and others on the top left tab: menopause/vaginal problems. Also treatments here that the girls have already mentioned:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Magazine articles here:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/article-gsm-issue44.pdf
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Blogs:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/blogpost-lube-or-hormones.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/blogpost-vaginal-dryness.php

Some of these say the same thing but there they are anyway.

Do go to a different GP having done your research and get started on some local oestrogen forthwith :)

Good luck

Hurdity x

Woo50

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »

Thank you! I popped into Boots today and bought some "feminine" wash to try to reduce the irritation...I'm sure using my usual soap wasn't helping. I also grabbed some lube for sexy fun times, and amused myself greatly checking out which flavour to buy (I avoided "Tingle"  :o.) I have also sent for a free sample of "Sylk" and now I'm going to read all of those links  8)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »

'tingle' went into the bin  :D ..........

Let us know how you get on!

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »

soaps and shower gels can irritate our delicate bits a lot.  Even so called 'washes can have stuff in.  If all else fails Woo50 plain warm water really is all you need 'down there', it's all mine ever gets and I don't smell and feel clean  :)