Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 25 mg Vagifem discontinued  (Read 4461 times)

Starproms

25 mg Vagifem discontinued
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »

I went to the doctor today to order some more Vagifem. I asked if he could up the dose because although the Vagifem helps, I still feel dry. He told me the higher dose is no longer available. I have been on 10 mgs. for a short while. We discussed the matter and I asked if I could try the Vagifem for three times a week instead of twice and he agreed I could try that for six months.

What are your experiences? Which frequency works best for you?Can you recommend something I can buy from the chemist for lubrication of the outer areas?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 25 mg Vagifem discontinued
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »

It's been discontinued for a long while.  Do have a read of the various threads on vaginal atrophy on here - [My Bladder etc. .....] and a more recent thread which of course, meno-brain can't remember!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

Lots of doctors let patients use 5x10 a week as that is equal to the old dose.
I use it every day..can't manage otherwise  :(

ancient runner

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:46:18 PM »

An alternative is the Estring which is a silicone ring which sits in your vagina for 3 months at a time releasing 50mcg of oestrogen a week. It suits some of us very well.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »

I use it every other day with estriol cream for the outer area.  The combination of the 2 works well for me  :)

Starproms

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »

Thank you people. Can I get the cream you mention BabyJane, from the chemist or is it prescription only?  ???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »

Maybe give your local Pharmacy a ring?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »

Yes estriol cream needs to be prescribed as well (not from chemist) - many of us use both - Vagifem and estriol. For rubbing onto outer areas, then the generic estriol is better (0.01%) as it can be used more liberally than Ovestin which is 10 x more concentrated at 0.1%.

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »

Thank you Hurdity, yes, ask for the 0.01% estriol (used to be gynest).  It is kinder and lasts longer than the 0.1% Ovestin which is the stronger estradiol  :)

Jenna

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »

Thank you Hurdity, yes, ask for the 0.01% estriol (used to be gynest).  It is kinder and lasts longer than the 0.1% Ovestin which is the stronger estradiol  :)

Just to clarify - Ovestin also contains estriol (not estradiol), the same as Estriol Cream. Estriol Cream is weaker and more suitable for outer areas, as Hurdity explained.

Ovestin PIL:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/28891

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »

I stand corrected, but the 0.01% is still a lot milder than the Ovestin at 0.1%

Also the Ovestin contains chlorhexidine which is a disinfectant and I think that could account for the stinging and discomfort on already sore vulval skin.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:24:42 AM by babyjane »

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »

Yes the two preparations have different ingredients as well as the active estriol - from what I recall the list is longer for Ovestin - I did look it up and post them a while back - but you just have to google the name of the product and SPC and the product info comes up on the EMC website.

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »

just be aware that the milder estriol cream does contain peanut oil so if you have an allergy to peanuts do not use this product.

Binbon2

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

I have been using the 0.01% Estriol cream. When it ran out I was given the 0.1% Ovestin cream. I didn't not get on with this at all. Each time I used it I woke up in the early hours with a headache and stomach cramps. Have got a replacement prescription for the 0.01% estriol cream, so hopefully things will go back to normal!