Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Quick hello  (Read 2449 times)

maggiemayp

Quick hello
« on: June 05, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »

Hi there, I'm 49 and have recently ( well past 6 months or so) started with symptoms I think are menopausal.
I have hot flushes and night sweats but am finding it very hard to distinguish between what could be menopause and my Bipolar diagnosis.
I was diagnosed Bipolar 3 years ago after over 15 years treated for various depressive illnesses and have felt for the past year that I'm stable on my meds, have also had a lot of psych support, so much so I've been discharged from CMHT.
I got referred back to CMHT last month due to massive anxiety, something I've not experienced before but the menopause wasn't mentioned to me. I'm now reading that anxiety is common during menopause so maybe nothing to do with my Biplolar. Obviously my moods during the day and from day to day can be very different and I've learnt as best as I can to manage my Bipolar in my daily life.
I've noticed my sleep is interrupted, but not like when its interrupted due to either manic or depressive episodes. I can no longer tolerate noise or be in crowds, this could be Bipolar but I'm reading many posts from ladies during menopause who experience these symptoms. My memory is awful, but again the meds I'm on don't help with my short term memory and long term memory isn't great due to some of the past meds I've been on.
I can find hardly any info about Bipolar and menopause so at the moment I'm a little lost!!
I'm back at the docs on Friday to try to get some direction. Would really appreciate any info/ advice from anyone who has a mood disorder and has experience of the menopause. Apologies for such a long first post.

Freckles

Re: Quick hello
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »

Hi there

Mental health problems especially affective (emotional/mood) disorders are often related to hormonal problems, including PMS, Post Natal Depression and peri- menopausal  and menopausal symptoms.  They (hormonal imbalances) can be a direct cause and/or indirect exacerbation of such problems.
However they are often overlooked when being assessed by professionals.
I have a crap GP and had to pay to see Professor John Studd for appropriate HRT.
I mention him only because he advocates that hormonal imbalances often contribute to problems like bi-polar and other diagnoses and are ignored by psychiatrists.
Check out his web site as he's written a really helpful paper (designed for lay readers) on this subject.
I'd also suggest getting your hormone levels checks via blood tests when you see your GP.
It's a no brainer that when your hormones are imbalanced, it affects mood, motivation, memory, can causes anxiety, low mood, feeling unreal, etc., as well as the usual physical symptoms.
I'd read the paper first, get your hormone levels checked, and if they are out of balance, do so more reading as to the best options for HRT.
If you can't find the paper, do PM me and I'll happily send it on, but it
 should be available online.
Good luck- getting accurate information is the first part of the journey to feeling better!
Freckles xx

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 06:59:53 AM »

Hi Maggiemayp. Welcome from me too.

It  must be very difficult trying to work out which is menopause and which is Bi Polar but all of the symptoms you mention are typical of peri menopause/menopause especially (in my case) noisy places and anxiety also loss of confidence, memory problems and the dreaded insomnia!

Have you read this article? http://www.bphope.com/girl-talk-bipolar-menopause/

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Daisycat

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »

Hello Maggiemayp from me too :)

Another newbie myself, but finding this forum so very helpful.  I am sure you will just as much.

xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »

Hi maggiemayp

:welcomemm: from me too.

Please don't apologise for your post - it helps to have plenty of background!

It would be helpful to know where you are in menopause re cycle length and whether this is variable, whether you have skipped periods etc, to see if your symptoms are due to peri-menopause - although given your age and the fact that you are suffering flushes and sweats this is likely. If you have a Mirena or are on the mini pill then you won't know this so will need to go by symptoms alone.

In the late reproductive stage - the time before cycles begin to become erratic - many women do suffer increased pms and new onset or increased anxiety (rather than depression) as hormonal fluctuations begin to become more extreme especially just before the period when oestrogen plummets and progesterone withdrawal symptoms may become more apparent.

Do start to keep a diary of your symptoms and moods to see if there is a cyclical pattern to them - and as Freckles says some women suffer from hormonal issues throughout their reproductive life which impact on their mental health. I hope you do read the papers on this subject written by Studd and which can be found here:
http://www.studd.co.uk/depression.php  There are also related papers in the tabs on the right hand side.

Let us know how you get on at your appointment on Friday.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »

:welcomemm:

Has being given a diagnosis helped over-all?

Keep us up to date?

maggiemayp

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »

Thanks for replies all.

Will definitely check out the Studd link as I've not heard of him before. I've had Mirena in for past 12 years so difficult to go by my cycles.
I'm glad to hear that noisy places and anxiety are problems others have with menopause ( obvs not for thos experiencing them) as didn't want CMHT to mess with meds to try to combat those, they will leave meds alone if its menopausal rather than Bipolar related.
I have read the article in BP Hope but will re read as memory is horrendous!!!
The Bipolar diagnosis helped me loads, made sense of my whole adult life which considering I was finally diagnosed in my mid 40's ( won't go into the times they missed the symptoms over past 20 years + in particular) helps my life move forward much more positively.
Husband coming to docs with me as he always comes to mental health appts and I will definitely ask for hormone levels to be checked.
Feel I have tangible info to go into appt and talk to GP about ongoing symptoms.  :)

Freckles

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »

Good luck!
Do some reading before seeing your doctor (pre-armed with information is always helpful!) and Studd's articles on women's hormonal imbalances, pre and post menopause, affecting psychological health are well worth a read.
Everyone's history is  unique- on a spectrum, varying from psychiatric misdiagnosis for having psychological/MH problems due to hormone imbalances, to having hormones imbalances making existing psychological vulnerabilities even worse.
So sounds like distinguishing what symptoms are due to possible hormone imbalances as opposed to bi-polar symptoms is essential. All too easy sometimes to attribute *all* psychological problems to a pre-existing diagnosis, and overlooking over possible factors
Think asking for hormone levels to be checked (make sure you get a print out of the results!) is a good first step as is a bit of reading around to get your head around it all. 
I struggled at first to make sense of the diverse and sometimes contradictory opinions, whether from medical/health professionals or more informal sources. Got there in the end!
Good luck and let us know how you get on?
Freckles x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »

Ah - as you have a Mirena coil and your cycles are not obvious due to cessation of periods, then docs can use blood tests (Follicle Stimulating Hormone = FSH) to help determine if you are peri-menopausal although this seems likely from your flushes and sweats and given your age, and in the absence of any other cause. Unless you are post-menopausal your oestrogen level at a single blood test probably won't help much as this varies enormously throughout the normal menstrual cycle, and the Mirena does not necessarily suppress ovulation so oestrogen levels may still fluctuate.

As I suggested before do keep a diary of your symptoms (re anxiety, mood swings etc) in case they have a cyclical nature - but it does sound like you might well benefit from adding oestrogen as HRT to eliminate your flushes and sweats as well as lift your mood where this is due to low oestrogen.

Hurdity x