Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Citalopram reduction anyone?  (Read 5105 times)

Spangles

Re: Citalopram reduction anyone?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »

Hi ladies,
Just a quick update.
Still taking 30mg, it's been a month now.
My anxiety is higher and my mood is a bit lower, anxiety being the worse part.
Had an anxiety attack the other night, I thought it was due to a trigger from my past but also coincided with my period starting???
My PMT has been really bad tha past 3 months, e.g heightened anxiety, nausea, headaches etc.
I've also been getting cold flushes at this time too, could that be a drop in oestrogen? Would it still drop though as I'm using HRT?
I'm still plodding along and very reluctant to increase dose again.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx
P.S. Out of interest does anyone take a high dose of Citalopram?

Dee46

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »

Hi Shellb
I have been on citalopram for 16 months & it did nothing for the anxiety, I got up to 30mg & reduced to 20mg then to 10mg, I stayed on that for 6 weeks & kept crying so upped to 20mg again, did nothing really as still felt awful, last week I was put on mirtazapin & have slept really well but also had this week off work to rest, I have just seen a different GP who said to start tapering off the citalopram doing 20/10/20/10 for a week then to 10mg for a week & then 10 every other day for a week then 10 every 2 days etc..I cannot stress how ill I have felt on ssri's, I wish I didn't go back up to 20mg as it feels like I will have to start all over again, I am also on hrt & anxiety is still bad, I often think I am in some sort of Gaga land  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »

So ask for a dedicated anti-anxiety medication, i.e. a beta-blocka or an as-necessary tablet?  Also eating correctly can ease anxiety surges and I found Rescue Remedy useful at times.  Breathing properly can control anxiety too.

Spangles

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »

CLKD
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
Since I've been reducing from40 to 30, I have gradually felt like the anxiety and depressing feelings and thoughts have been coming back.
 I have heard that withdrawals can feel like symptoms returning? Although would I get withdrawals with reducing? Also I am on my period this week and it's this week I have felt worse, I'm also stressing as I'm having works done at home.
I would just like things to settle so that I can have a clearer head!
So sorry for moaning.
Underneath it all although I am suffering I do feel proud of myself for getting down to 30 from 40 but I didn't anticipate feeling like this as I had no idea or expectations. I really hope it passes as I don't want to up my dose again.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 09:08:23 AM »

It's all a bit silly.  Sometimes I don't know which way is up!  I am on the lowest dose tablet and I shave a slice off to make a dose of three quarters of a tablet and I tick along nicely on that.  However on the odd occasion I get curious as to whether I could manage with less, and I take half a tablet I feel less well within a day or two.  You wouldn't think a quarter of a tablet would make a difference but, in my case, it does so don't be surprised if you feel a difference on 10mg less than you are used to.  Unfortunately I don't have the patience for feeling iffy so I stay on three quarters of a tablet (most of the time  ::)).  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »

Shellb - it's known as 'bounce back anxiety' - the what-if syndrome, the physical symptoms ask 'what if I can't reduce any more', 'what if I have to go back up a dose' ......... think carefully, do you feel any worse each day, has the bounce back become stable?  One can't be addicted to modern ADs, but bounce back and the fear of not being able to stop the medication can get the brain whizzing!  >:(. It took me 9 weeks, still here >wave<
Pages: 1 [2]