Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NHS in crisis as computers targeted!  (Read 4032 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
NHS in crisis as computers targeted!
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »

Back to paper and pen then and keeping records in folders where they can be accessed!!!!  Not on computers which with one pull of a plug can disappear into the ether! 

greenECLECtus28

Re: NHS in crisis as computers targeted!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »

I know just shows you how vulnerable these systems can be I guess nowadays  the volume of patients would potentially make that difficult don't know if it's true but there was a recent report suggesting that some of the hospitals hadn't been updating their software if that's the case then that needs to be looked into as that is potentially very serious.

Mbrown001

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »

My son worked for a company that had quite a lot to do with the NHS networks. I remember him telling us that the systems were so antiquated that they were so hard to maintain. Like everything else improvements have to take place at some point.
It's obviously come back to bite them on the bum.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »

It's now World wide apparently.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »

Daughters boyfriend went for his asthma check tonight and the nurse had to write everything down as computers had been cyber attacked.

wombat62

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:58 AM »

It's just been reported on the news in Oz.

They said they were shutting A&E departments in the UK, really? Surely they should have some sort of back up system i.e. paper, pen and a form?

Apparently someone clicked on a bad link on an email....and kaboom...

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »

70 countries affected worldwide.  Old operating systems being used, despite being advised otherwise. £22,000 per trust on security doesn't seem much in the grand scheme of things.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »

This article has an explanation as to what Ransomeware is http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/nhs-hit-major-cyber-attack-hackers-demanding-ransom/

Very worrying how we can all be held to ransom and just goes to show that we should never click on unknown links but it's easy to forget that if people are under pressure and working on outdated systems I would think.

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »

Why on earth is the NHS still using Windows XP which Microsoft withdrew support for a few years ago!  :o

I used to be on XP and kept getting malware so I changed to windows 10.  I suppose it is all down to cost again  :(

cubagirl

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »

Hubby & I both commented on the lack of patients turning up at A&E departments since this happened. Makes you wonder.  (I feel a cyber onslaught here 😉)

Feel sorry for those who are caught up in all this though. Discharges can't be made,  vital operations are being cancelled, medications can't be processed etc. Wonder how long it will take to sort.

nearly50

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »

Why on earth is the NHS still using Windows XP which Microsoft withdrew support for a few years ago!  :o

I used to be on XP and kept getting malware so I changed to windows 10.  I suppose it is all down to cost again  :(

Exactly. Why on earth were these systems not updated? Read somewhere today that the systems controlling Trident still use Windows XP, but I'm hoping that's not true!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »

In My Day  >:( - everything was taken down on paper with copies kept.  Filed in folders.  Easy to find (usually).  Shorthand transcribed in patient notes using type-writers .......... then someone suggested electric type-writers  :o  ;D ......... unless computer date is backed-up and copies kept elsewhere, there are likely to be day-by-day problems; now that someone has pulled the plug ........ I have said for years if ISIS gets hold of the wire and cuts it with a knife  >:( we will all be up s/creek without a paddle.

Then a friend who is in IT said 'but we don't use wires any longer' -  :bang: :bang: :bang: bugga off was my reply.  Whatever, it should be a wake-up call to Banks, Building Societies, Hotels, Vet. Surgeries  :(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »

Nissan factory now hit.

bramble

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »

With the NHS strapped so much for cash and creaking under the strain of so many new and longterm patients, think of the outcry that would be if we were told that they were going to spend many thousands of millions of pounds on a new IT system. With all the resultant chaos and upheaval lasting years until it was bedded in. Sometimes it is easier to stay with an old but working system.

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

but it's not working now  :(
Pages: [1] 2