Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: The Road Less Travelled  (Read 78938 times)

dazned

Re: The Road Less Travelled
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2017, 08:16:44 PM »

Yes Lizab we don't give ourselves credit for that domestic fairy that magically does all the cleaning,laundry,shopping,bed making,bath cleaning.......... do we ! ::)

Glad you are starting to see a path for you .

Tempest

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »

Oh bless you, Dazned! Thank you - your encouragement and wise words help so much! xxxxx

Edelweiss, I understand COMPLETELY why you expressed yourself that way though. I remember in 2012 there was I, happily popping this medication and that to help control excruciating pain after I had unsuccessful spinal surgery (it left me with nerve damage). Then one day.... bam! I had an almost fatal allergic reaction to a medication and my immune system went crazy, I had to stop EVERYTHING. The things that worked for me, couldn't and wouldn't work any more.

I was bereft, demented - it was like someone had pulled the plug and I was in an alien, pain wracked body that I couldn't medicate better. I am absolutely certain that on MANY occasions, I said 'shoot me now'. And I wonder if this is why now my body cannot even accept HRT.

When something happens so suddenly as it has with you and HRT  stopping working like that, it's an ENORMOUS shock. You are entitled to feel all of the feelings - grief, anger, disbelief. But I guess it's whether we let these feelings consume us and destroy us, or whether we find the strength and courage to carry on.

So let's walk together, forward - and be inspired by the lovely ladies here who are helping show us that we can do this. Because you're much stronger and more remarkable than you can ever realise right now. xxxxx

And can I say THANK YOU, Alberte - for your kindness earlier and now. It really is so very much appreciated. xxxxx

Tempest

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Lizab! As you know, I've read back through your old posts as we share so many similar symptoms.

You have really inspired me by sharing your experience of acceptance, and how you are improving. It's quite something to have insight and to say that even though you are still not 100% the person you want to be right now, that you have made great steps forward from where you were a year ago and to be so positive that things can continue to get better.

Much love. xxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »

I guess I found acceptance and new tasks I do leave me europhic.  Sad but true.  Other half is my saviour, he always checks on his way home from anywhere if we need any essentials and always ask if I'm up to braving a supermarket (I get so embarrassed admitting that, I used to be the one texting him on my way home from work what I should pick up from the supermarket)

ill always miss who I was, I don't dislike the new me, but I did feel sorry for old new me if that makes sense. 

I spent so much valuable energy searching for what could be wrong with me as many things didn't add up to menopause but then I decided if there is something else it'll present itself and I feel I'm getting closer so just will wait that one out

I'm probably not even making sense lol

Oh and Tempest, I'll always be here for you xxxx

Tempest

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:38 PM »

You're making PERFECT sense, Annie! In the last year you've done so many things that you hadn't done for a long time. I remember your wonderful success at attending the work conference - I was over the moon for you that you braved it so brilliantly!

Thank you so much for being a brilliant friend too - I'm always here for you too (apart from when the boy's steal my I pad, and then I can't message. I wish they'd stop doing that)!!!! xxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »

Lol no worries - we always catch up on the main board 😘 Xxx

Lizab

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2017, 01:49:05 AM »

Makes perfect sense to me too, Annie!

Tempest

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »

Hello, dear ones. :)

How are you all today? xxxxx

ALESIA

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »

Ah lovely Tempest I was just thinking about you and your knowledge about immunology!

I've just had my referral through for an immunology appointment and wondered if you would be kind enough to help with what sort of questions I should be asking them and what tests I might expect to be done?

Love & hugs Alesia xxx

babyjane

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »

I don't believe acceptance means giving up or giving in.  For me it meant finding a way (with help) through the situation to a place where I could live with it and learn from it instead of fighting it.  The more you can do this the easier it is to like who you are regardless of circumstances  :)

Tempest

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »

Hello, Alesia! :)

Most certainly! What issues have you been referred for, if you don't mind my asking? Is it generally everything regarding your symptoms, or something specific? xxxxx

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words, Babyjane. This means a lot as you have 'walked the path' - any advice and insight to help us get through is so gratefully received.  :) :thankyou: xxxxx

ALESIA

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »

Morning everyone :)

After a lovely conversation with Edelweiss last night I just wanted to let you all know that although my Kinesiologist herself took 6 years to get well she has seen these problems so many times in women during the menopause, she said she has literally had women crawling through the door and that they have all recovered eventually, some only took a few sessions, others under a year and others 18 months.

So there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel :)

Love & hugs to you all xxx

ALESIA

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »

Aww thank you Tempest so much you are very kind :)

Yes just generally the symptoms but mostly I think the weight loss and intolerance to just about every medication known to man!

I know nothing at all about immunology but my Gastro says some of it could be auto immune related which is why he has referred me.

Love  xxx

babyjane

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »

As every woman's experience is different and individual to them all I will say is that there is no stigma attached to not using HRT if you find it difficult or choose not to use it.  I tried it on a couple of occasions about 14 years ago and again about 4 years ago and both times were not a success even at low doses.  My lovely lady GP felt that I was either intolerant to synthetic oestrogen or hypersensitive to it (as I am to most other medications including my thyroxine which has to be always prescribed at the same brand as even a change of brand can upset my levels).

I will never know if my experience of menopause might have been different had I succeeded with the HRT, it is not relevant to me now. I did have an iffy 10 years or so and had to give up a job I loved but I have survived intact with the help of some CBT, therapy, my family and this forum.   I lurked and browsed, then joined and left, regretted it and rejoined and am glad to be here for the cyber friendship, support, sharing, offloading and advice (well most of it anyway)

I am not hung up on the osteoporosis question.  My mother had a hysterectomy at 38, no HRT and lived to 82 with no osteoporosis.  It doesn't follow that we who don't use HRT will all get osteoporosis.  I get a DEXA scan every 3 years due to my longterm use of thyroid meds so I am sure any changes will show up there.

I think the mantra needs to be 'be confident to do what is right for you'

Tempest

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

Hear, hear Babyjane! We are INDIVIDUALS and no one path is right for everyone.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow - I'm so glad I have this lovely man taking care of my care as the one I saw previously was purely a pill pusher. I can really speak to him, and he listens and gives good advice.

I've driven myself truly mad over the last year trying to get HRT to fit me - any whiff of estrogen and my body and mind goes berserk! It's not a case of 'riding out initial side effects' for me, the same thing happens every time and gets worse the longer that I'm on it. I don't know why. I WANTED it to work so badly. I think Lizab has had virtually the same experience as me.

As regards to osteoporosis - I've had a recall for my scan and right now I don't know why, but I am going again on Tuesday. I'm hoping it's all ok, which is what I was told last time (so I'm really confused about all this, but we'll see).

Did your Mum have a total hysterectomy Babyjane, with ovaries removed? I know we have a couple of lovely ladies here who aren't using HRT and are doing fine apart from their other health struggles (recovering from cancer and multiple bowels surgeries). xxxxx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24