Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can you replace HRT with the pill (peri-meno)?  (Read 5583 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Can you replace HRT with the pill (peri-meno)?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 10:45:12 AM »

I had to stop the Femodene because they had changed the guidelines and women who had ever had migraine with aura were no longer to use combined oral contraceptives because it doubles the risk of stroke according to a paper that was released quite a while ago.  There is a lot of sensitivity about the risk of stroke on the pill and young women - the risk of the pill is very small, but for young women it is the only risk.  This applies only to combined oral contraceptives, and not hrt or progestogen only contraceptives.  Sometimes it gets conflated.

I was offered the mirena at the review where my coc were taken away.  I really did not want it as I had had a little brother who was conceived with an iud, then stillborn so did not think it effective contraceptive.  Also, a fellow mother of twins had one which went straight through the uterus and it took 4 months of messing about to get to the op to remove it.  I did not want something I had no control over.  I took pop to tide me over, thought about it, had unexpected problems with the progestogens (never had problems before, except spots with levenorgestrel).  The next doctor I saw thought it was a bit extreme for my time of life and pointed out that many women have bleeding problems for about six months before it settles.  (Knowing my luck, I would be one who bled all the time - I have had that with coc before!)

Now, I sort of wish I had given it a go - it is not perfect but is a lower dose than hrt normally is.

Katia

Re: Can you replace HRT with the pill (peri-meno)?
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:08 PM »

I'm so sorry about your little brother.  The consultant seemed to push it to me too, even after I had said that levenorgestral didn't agree with me.  I personally wouldn't want it, although some people seem to like it.  I'm a bit reactive to things and like that I can stop them immediately.  I'm having bad fluid retention and bloating on the gel and utro.  I had no symptoms or side effects with Femodene and I believe there is a lower one Femodette.  I'm 50, so should really stop it, but my two weeks on HRT haven't been smooth.  I've no risk factors so the consultant has left the choice up to me.  I chose the HRT as I thought it superior and I do want to give it a bit longer, but swollen middle, legs and ankles and no jawline as my neck is  swollen and bags under my eyes from fluid are making it hard   :o
Pages: 1 [2]