Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena v utrogestan  (Read 4710 times)

Noheroicsplease

Mirena v utrogestan
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »

I'm interested to know people's different experiences with both of these...I'm using the mirena but for various reasons, might stop it. And emotionally, i wouldn't say it's exactly buoyed me up. I had hoped to feel better.

But I've read how sedating utrogestan is. And I don't want to risk taking out the mirena to find a worse progesterone.

I also want to take testosterone, doctor will prescribe it, and some advice on here was to possibly switch to a bio-identical progesterone in order to do that.

Thanks.

sweetie222

Re: Mirena v utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »

Hi, I had mirena for nearly a year. Since Jan was suffering with insomnia and other mood problems and decided to remove the mirena (3 weeks ago) and see if things improved. I was put onto Utrogestan immediately, was already using Oestrogel (I am 48 and still have a fairly regular cycle). The first few days on 100mg of Utrogestan made me feel tired in the morning but my sleep improved immediately and after a few weeks I now find it no longer affects me in a negative way and without it I don't sleep very well. Need to speak to consultant again as period arrived after 2 weeks and not sure how to manage the progesterone now. She suggested 100mg continuously with a few days break as some women don't tolerate coming off it for a few weeks of the month. I feel like my body recognizes and is using this form of progesterone and so far am happy with my decision.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »

That's so interesting. Almost like where I'm at with the mirena. Do you feel in a better mood/spirits with utrogestan? And has your normal sleep pattern returned? I get up really early - around 5.30-6 - so a bit worried about the sedation element.

sweetie222

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »

Hi, the utrogestan seems to relax me and keep me calm, whereas the synthetic progesterone did not (first 6 mths also felt better). The oestrogel with Mirena seemed too strong (wired and hot etc) but with Utrogestan so far I feel better. It is early days though. I figure I can always get Mirena put back in if this does not wk! Let me know what you decide? You should use it mid-evening if worried about getting up feeling tired and this does pass after some days.

Waterdaggers

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »

I think you've seen my post on switching to Mirena from Utro but I would say its worth a try. I have found that yes it does make you feel very woolly the next day but it doesn't effect your mood in the way synthetic progestorone does. The other thing I have found with it, is that it does give you very vivid dreams/nightmares. The way I get past this is to take it around 9pm and lie in bed awake for at least an hour and then the dreams don't seem to be quite so bad as when I've taken it right before I sleep. Got to lie in bed as I take it vaginally... which is supposed to be the best route to take it to minimise side effects.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »

Thanks Waterdaggers. Does it still make you feel woolly the next day? That doesn't go?

Waterdaggers

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »

No it doesn't go for me... I feel like a zombie for the entire time I'm on it. But lots seem to be fine with it so I'd try it for sure if Mirena is giving you problems. I think its a case of which side effects you prefer... I would rather be a zombie than have something effect my mood and make me depressed.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »

I'm interested to know people's different experiences with both of these...I'm using the mirena but for various reasons, might stop it. And emotionally, i wouldn't say it's exactly buoyed me up. I had hoped to feel better.

But I've read how sedating utrogestan is. And I don't want to risk taking out the mirena to find a worse progesterone.

I also want to take testosterone, doctor will prescribe it, and some advice on here was to possibly switch to a bio-identical progesterone in order to do that.

Thanks.

It might be worth a paid question for Dr Currie about taking Testosterone when you have a Mirena and the potential effects? This would only be theoretical of course as to my knowledge there haven't been trials - but I haven't scoured the literature.

Hurdity x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »

Hurdity - how funny you should suggest that - I got online to do exactly that!