Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and bleeding  (Read 4032 times)

Cassie

Utrogestan and bleeding
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »

Does anyone else find that if they go longer than 4 weeks without taking the Utrogestan one gets a bleed, 2nd time its happened to me, the minute I push for 5 or 6 week cycle, bang, I start to bleed...am only using 1 pump of oestrogel but clearly my body is not going to let me long cycle.... :( I think there was another lady on here who seemed to experience the same thing, when the subject was discussed before?

Dancinggirl

Re: Utrogestan and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »

I had break through bleeding with a long cycle when using Utrogestan. I don't think it ever cleared my womb lining properly.
Maybe stick with 3-4 weeks of oestrogen only. DG x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »

Yes sadly am going to have to behave, and stop pushing the boundaries, 4 weeks no further....envy the ladies who make 7or longer week cycles.... :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »

This has never happened to me. Are you post-menopausal and have you ever had your lining scanned? If so do you know what thickness it normally reaches after 4 weeks? I haven't gone longer than 2 months cycle (so that is max 6.5 weeks between stopping Utro and starting the next round but I don't usually even bleed until after withdrawal from the Utro. Don't want to speak to soon though - have just started my utro this cycle (7.5 weeks this time)!

When you say 4 weeks without taking utro - if you then take it for 10 days then your cycle is about 5.5 weeks which isn't too bad! The cycle length is measured from eg the first day you take utro until the first day you take it again having gone though taking it, bleeding and being on oestrogen only - just like the menstrual cycle (Day 1 is start of bleed).

Have you tried a higher dose? From what I remember you only take 100 mg so maybe your lining is on the thick side? I always do 200 mg x 12 days vag (the first and last day I now spread over 2 days x 100 mg to ease in and out of it gently).

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »

Cassie, that is exactly what happens to me!  I've tried to go for a long cycle several times but just over 5 weeks is my absolute limit.  I am using two pumps of gel everyday which is quite a high dose and that is probably why.  My advice is to start the Utrogestan tonight for the normal length of time.  I find that it temporarily stops the flow and then it starts again a few days after I stop the Utrogestan.

I am severely intolerant to progesterone and now under strict supervision with the gynaecologist and it would appear that I shed unprovoked at nearly 7mm and then go back to 2mm immediately post bleed - I usually have quite a heavy period.  So now I don't bother trying for the long cycle and make sure I take the Utrogestan every 5 weeks. 

I hope that reassures you!

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:13:12 PM »

Yes I have annual scans, usually around 4mm, at one stage was 7mm when I was only on 100mg x 7 days so have upped it to 10 days now.  I think my body is super sensitive to any changes, I get breakthrough bleeds, if I adjust my oestrogel dosage too much as well sigh....I am due another scan soon, so will be interesting to see, but last one I had was doing well on the 100mg x 10 days with a 4mm lining, but as I say, the moment I push past 4 weeks, I breakthrough and it could be that by then my lining is thicker and it sheds by itself as in Mary G's case... My last Utrogestan was started on 2nd April and today I have a bleed sigh...will start them immediately, thankyou Mary G for your reassurance it is much appreciated, we certainly do sound similiar in that respect. x
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:14:48 PM by Cassie »

Liz

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:28:50 PM »

I  haven't had a bleed yet this month and stopped my 12 days Utro almost 2 weeks ago!

Night_Owl

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »

We must all be so different as to how our bodies utilise the Utro.

To those who experience breakthrough bleeding, are you taking Vagifem too?

In some cases Vagifem can create build up (although it's not supposed to) and bleeding - in addition to systemic HRT.

Just a thought.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »

We must all be so different as to how our bodies utilise the Utro.

To those who experience breakthrough bleeding, are you taking Vagifem too?

In some cases Vagifem can create build up (although it's not supposed to) and bleeding - in addition to systemic HRT.

Just a thought.

I use oodles of Vagifem (daily) in the build up to starting each utrogestan cycle and much more frequently during the course of it - to try to plump up tissues as much as possible. As I would expect it doesn't have the slightest effect on me as it is negligible compared to the oestrogen dose I am taking! I don't think it would have any effect on early bleeding on Utrogestan  :-\. Yes I do agree we vary - although the underlying principle of how it works is the same for all of us thank goodness!!

Hurdity x