Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is sandrena gel synthetic???  (Read 6475 times)

DaisyB

Is sandrena gel synthetic???
« on: May 09, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »

hi ladies - i need your help please.   Mirena coil inserted 4 weeks ago. Started using estraderm patches as stop gap until gynae appt. they ran out today - private gp happy to provide top up until I see gynae- asked her for estrogel on advice from this forum. Wanted bio identical to minimise risk as I have never taken anything hormonal before. GP checked with pharmacist and told us only sandrena available in NI. As I was picking up prescription pharmacist told me it's synthetic- too frightened to use it now - please help if you can!!!!! :( :-\

Thank you

DaisyB xx

Emma

• Administrator
Re: Is sandrena gel synthetic???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »

Pharmacotherapeutic group: Natural and semisynthetic oestrogens.
The active ingredient in Sandrena, synthetic 17β-estradiol, is chemically and biologically identical to endogenous human estradiol.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1392#PHARMACODYNAMIC_PROPS

DaisyB

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »

Thank you Emma and TheLong... so happy to hear that !!!! :D

DaisyB x
rushing to pharmacy now👍

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »

....... did you tell him/her?  They should of course have looked it up  ::)

Tnx  :thankyou: Emma

Welcome - Long and Winding (Now I've got an ear worm  :D)

DaisyB

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »

Hi CLKD
I went in armed with info from forum - but as it's all new to me I was stumped when she googled estrogel and said she was happy to prescribe in interim - until she rang pharmacist who politely told us not available in NI and that sandrena was equivalent - all changed when I went to pick it up though. I was told it wasn't bio identical and asked was I sure I wanted to start on it? They were helpful in that they suggested researching and getting back to me. Later today they rang and apologised but said def synthetic! I could have cried :(

DaisyB x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »

Aaaarrgghhh! What are they thinking of?! Do not cry!

Look - Emma has just given you the info - Sandrena is the same as estrogel in effect - just a bit more concentrated.

It is important to be absolutely clear about the terms we are using - re natural synthetic bio-identical etc.

Every single product we use whether alternative or NHS approved, compounded etc is synthetic ( with the exception of actual dried herbs!) - in the sense that it has been synthesised in a lab from raw materials.

Generally we use the term in HRT to distinguish between products that are bio-identical or  body-identical - which means exactly as Emma wrote below!

Compounded bio-identical hormone therapy is a different issue altogether - and uses the same products as the products on NHS - in fact the raw materials (pure estradiol and progesterone) may well have been manufactured (synthesised) in the same place (haven't been able to find info on this).

Natural means extracted from natural sources usually - I presume that no other chemical steps have been taken to arrive at the finished product (maybe - usually? added excipients - ie what the active ingredient is mixed with when given as a drug or medicinal product).

So Premarin is natural = contains a mix of oestrogens extracted and purified from pregnant mare's urine (not sure of the process exactly) - but is not bio-identical. Only one of the oestrogens is estradiol and I think there are many natural constituents.

Sandrena and Estrogel  are formulations of estradiol - which is bio/body identical, but are synthetic in the sense that they have been made in a lab. There are no formulations of "natural" estradiol (ie extracted from original source, rather than manufactured) that I know of.

OK?! Hope that's clear?

If you want to use gel - then either will do. Get back to them - with your prescription and get going!

Good luck :)

Hurdity x

DaisyB

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »

Hurdity thank you - I feel like I have been dropped in Russia and can't speak the language!!! Infer the gist of this and will be picking up this evening!! Was demented this afternoon - I have emailed this lady Diane I've seen some girls chat about. A good chat to help me navigate this minefield is what I need right now  :o
Thank you for your patience

DaisyB x

Tempest

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:01:21 PM »

So glad you've reached out to Diane too, Daisy! She really is a treasure. If you speak to her, you'll love her! xxxxx

DaisyB

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »

Thank you Tempest - and I hope you weren't too disappointed today xx keeping fingers and toes crossed for you  :bighug:
DaisyB x