Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cystitis  (Read 9119 times)

Pennyfarthing

Cystitis
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »

I seem to have cystitis ... just self diagnosed!  Every time I wee today it absolutely burns and stings. Googled it and it says that plus weeing  more frequently. I'm not weeing more frequently though. In fact, less than normal I'd say.

I had a pint of water with bicarb of soda in about an hour ago and no sign of a wee yet. I normally go about three times after a cup of coffee!

Apart from bicarb of soda I have nothing in the house for cystitis so will go to pharmacy tomorrow.

Mbrown001

Re: Cystitis
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »

Keep drinking as much as you can for now. As they say up here , drink until your back teeth are floating.
If you can, get a sample in the morning to put into your surgery.

Lots of supermarkets sell Cymalon which might help until tomorrow. Paracetamol every four hours is not a bad idea either.

Hopefully drinking loads will help.

Mrs Brown.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »

That was my first VA symptom. Is the urine cloudy or smelly Penny?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »

VA?  Get a wee sample sent to a lab and in the meantime, ask your GP/Practice Nurse for vaginal atrophy treatment.  If the sample grows bugs they may require a course of ABs.  Bicarb of soda can ease symptoms as can Barley Water for some reason  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »

YEs, nurse  says it is a urine infection. Got antibiotics and painkillers. Drink plenty. If not better in 3 days to go back.

Didn't ask about VA but looked it up thanks to you lot.  She did say wee looked cloudy.

I got handbag to leave at 1.30 and found some car keys in my bag that aren't mine! 😱 I mentally retraced my steps and rang Care home where I'd been to see Mum earlier. I had picked up owners  keys which look identical to mine even down to the Morrisons tag.  Couldn't take them straight away due to nurse appt but she needed to leave and had turned everywhere upside down looking for them. So I go a 10 mile round trip to nurse and then another 10 mile trip in other direction.  Thankfully she was OK about it but as I said to her, if i hadn't had nurse appt I wouldn't have looked in bag til Thursday morning at earliest as I'm not going out tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »

Crikey!  However, the keys should not have been left, surely Staff have a locker or safe for such things?  In case  :-\

The sample needs to be sent to a Lab PF! a dip stick even if urine is cloudy isn't reliable enough.  Nurses seem to dish out ABs without consideration that we are building up resistance!  My samples were cloudy and showed protein but the reason was VA not an infection - it was my GP that kicked up that the Nurses weren't following protocol and sending samples to a Lab.  ::).

Are you dashing to wee often, I had to sit on the loo with a cuppa and let the whole lower bladder area relax and dribble until the ABs and/or Nurofen eased symptoms  :-\ ......... however, I was never able to finish the course of ABs as they made me feel so sick  :'( crikey, I'm full of encouragement aren't I .......  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »

Mine smells of sulphur sometimes, usually mid-morning  ::).  VA mimics 'infection'-type symptoms. But all samples should be sent to a Lab. for the correct AB should it be necessary ........

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »

How R U this evening PF?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:21 AM »

Crikey!  However, the keys should not have been left, surely Staff have a locker or safe for such things?  In case  :-\

The sample needs to be sent to a Lab PF! a dip stick even if urine is cloudy isn't reliable enough.  Nurses seem to dish out ABs without consideration that we are building up resistance!  My samples were cloudy and showed protein but the reason was VA not an infection - it was my GP that kicked up that the Nurses weren't following protocol and sending samples to a Lab.  ::).

Are you dashing to wee often, I had to sit on the loo with a cuppa and let the whole lower bladder area relax and dribble until the ABs and/or Nurofen eased symptoms  :-\ ......... however, I was never able to finish the course of ABs as they made me feel so sick  :'( crikey, I'm full of encouragement aren't I .......  :-X

I went into her office and she didn't have correct change for me so got her handbag out and was looking for change in there. She must have put her car keys down on the desk and I picked them up as they're almost identical to mine. Entirely my fault!

Evelyn63

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »

PF if you google D Waterfall Mannose, its worth taking prophilactly , I swear by it , and you can take it during an episode of cystitis and then as a maintenance dose there after.  Reg Paracetamol until you feel better and a hot water bottle at your back. 

Scampi

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »

I second Evelyn's suggestion - it's amazing stuff!  Not cheap, but worth every penny - it really does work, and fast.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »

How are you today?

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »

I second Evelyn's suggestion - it's amazing stuff!  Not cheap, but worth every penny - it really does work, and fast.
  you say not cheap. Do you take the full recommended dose for maintenance? I haven't decided how effective it is yet.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »

Barley water is supposedly good too ......

Evelyn63

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »

PF if you google D Waterfall Mannose, its worth taking prophilactly , I swear by it , and you can take it during an episode of cystitis and then as a maintenance dose there after.  Reg Paracetamol until you feel better and a hot water bottle at your back.

I'm glad this has been mentioned.
I have some D Mannose sitting in a drawer but I'm not quite sure how to use it.
Should it be used daily to prevent a UTI or just when the UTI actually strikes.
Also, how much should be taken?

At the first sign of attack take two, and repeat every two to four hours up to a maximum of eight though I found four more than adequate.  Then take two daily for another few days.  They recommend you take them on  a daily basis once the urgent symptoms have settled but I usually forget !  In the midst of an attack, before taking anything , try and get a sample of urine, then  drink a full glass of water every twenty minutes for three hours !  Once an hour add a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda or one of the cystitis powders you can buy.  Take two paracetamol or similar analgesia initially then two hours later take two ibroprofen.  you can repeat the Paracetamol 6hrly up to a maximum of eight tablets daily.  A hot water bottle also helps.  I got this information from Angela Kilmartin's book on treating cystitis and can vouch that it does work !    Just be aware the DManoose can fill you with wind !
Pages: [1] 2