Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Should I bleed on Ovestin 2 week load?  (Read 3272 times)

TinaOptimist

Should I bleed on Ovestin 2 week load?
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »

Can anyone comment on whether Ovestin made them bleed?
I  have just started on Ovestin and am on day 6 of the 2 week initial load and started bleeding yesterday? This is the same as what happened when I started Vagifem 5 months ago. I had to stop after a week as it didn't agree with me but it brought on a period amount of bleeding. Now 5 months later with no period in between I've started bleeding with my first week of Ovestin. Is this normal. My gynaecologist's on holiday and the male doc I saw hadn't even heard of Ovestin and thought it was a pessary. Any ideas? Should I stop altogether. I stopped today as I was sore :(

Hurdity

Re: Should I bleed on Ovestin 2 week load?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »

Hi TinaOptimist

This does sound strange - it shouldn't bring on a bleed - as it contains estriol which has no effect on the uterus as I understand. Usually bleeding from the uterus would be due to - normal period, progesterone withdrawal after a period of taking it, when the uterus has been previously stimulated by oestrogen, sudden fall in oestrogen levels ( eg from HRT or at ovulation), or spontaneous shedding when the lining has thickened due to anovulatory cycles.

What sort of bleeding is it?  Could it be brought on due to fragility of the vaginal tissues and continued abrasion from insertion of the applicator? Did you have any signs of a period before?

I presume that you are still peri-menopausal - so before the bleed when you were taking Vagifem - how long since your previous period? If you are still peri then bleeding is no cause for concern unless you are especially worried and it is perhaps very heavy. I wouldn't stop using the Ovestin personally on the basis of the bleed but if you are sore - then it could be that the daily application process is irritating you? If the bleed is not heavy can you try eg inserting it gently with your finger or something which would be gentler than the applicator maybe?

Sorry I can't help further - definitely one for your gyane I would say - but of course it could just be a normal period (if you are peri)!

Hurdity x

TinaOptimist

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »

I am peri but my last unprovoked period was Oct 2016. Then I trialled Vagifem at end of Dec and I then had a period. I stopped taking Vagifem for various reasons after one week and have had no period since then. Now I have just started on Ovestin and could feel it making me a bit sore and now 5 days later the clear gel from my vagina started containing blood which resembled the start of a period and I felt 'periody'. I just think it is too much of a coincidence? I will try the finger method tonight. I left it last night as I was so sore.

TinaOptimist

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »

Oh, in answer to your question: before taking the Vagifem in Dec my last period was October and I had only missed 2 periods before that. However, I am having a very very low time since October and feel miserable and have had a UTI, thrush, vaginal soreness from thrush, which is better but now have sensitive vulva, bad sleep, low libido. The other weird thing is my hot nights have come back while on Ovestin and this also happened on Vagifem. I find it hard to believe that both times I have tried vaginal HRT I get bleeding and it is just coincidence?