Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: In praise of social media  (Read 4830 times)

babyjane

In praise of social media
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »

I don't like social media, I find it pointless and intrusive but that is just me.  However I keep an account to remain connected with the grown-up children and grandchildren.

Anyway I take back all the nasty things I have said about it over the months and years. 

We have an elderly neighbour who was trying to track down a workman that we have used but I had no contact details, not even a name.  I have been spending some time today googling and looking for anything that might lead me to him.  In the end I found him on Facebook, sent a message and he has just replied and I have put him in touch with our neighbour.  so, many thanks FB and social media, this time  :)

PS, I still don't like SM, especially as you can be tracked down so easily!!  ::)

Annie0710

Re: In praise of social media
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »

My fiancé started a group for friends from our childhood on fb.  What started as a very small group is in the 1000s now, we have enabled reunions from people all over the world who all grew up on our estate.  We share memories, then bullies have apologised to their victims and OH was interviewed on radio and appeared in our newspaper as it has also become a neighbourhood watch.  When there's burglaries or suspicious behaviour it is posted on there to warn others.  So many lost items, phones, cash, keys etc have all found their way back to the owner because of the group.  It's hard work being admin but there's only a few that choose not to comply . There are policemen who are members (with our permission) who don't post but collect possible info about crimes and will occasionally contact me asking me to post an announcement on their behalf.  It's brought back a community spirit that was once lost