Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie saying Hi  (Read 3492 times)

Nannyneet

Newbie saying Hi
« on: May 06, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »

Hi I've been having crazy mood swings and feeling really low and generally out of sorts so I went to my GP, I do have episodes of depression but she thinks this is probably linked to peri menopause,she recommended this website so here I am
I'm 53 years old and have lots of hobbies which include knitting,crossstitch,keeping chickens, gardening,reading and riding
I have two daughters one and I'm about to become a grandma
I'm looking forward to meeting people people and finding out I'm not alone 😀
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:19:47 PM by Nannyneet »

Annie0710

Re: Newbie saying Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »

Hello and welcome to our incredible support network.  You've got such lovely times ahead becoming a nanny xx

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »

Welcome, Nannyneet! It's lovely to 'meet' you. You'll find lots of lovely ladies here. Hugs, Tempest xxxx

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

Hi Nannyneet

:welcomemm: from me too!

What else did your GP recommend if anything and have you reached menopause yet? There is definitely no need to suffer so if you want to consider something to alleviate unpleasant symptoms then hopefully we can help :) . There is also a fantastic amount of information on the website (top tabs pale green banner....)

Hurdity x

Nannyneet

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:37:54 PM »

Thanks for the welcome ladies,I haven't had time to have a look around yet,today has been a busy day, the baby is due on the 25th of July and we are all really excited,I'm looking forward to being a nanny 😃

Nannyneet

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »

Hi Nannyneet

:welcomemm: from me too!

What else did your GP recommend if anything and have you reached menopause yet? There is definitely no need to suffer so if you want to consider something to alleviate unpleasant symptoms then hopefully we can help :) . There is also a fantastic amount of information on the website (top tabs pale green banner....)

Hurdity x
She didn't really recommend anything, I think because I was a bit vague about my symptoms, she told me to take a few weeks to log how I'm feeling and what's happening and then go back to her and we will take it from there, I also have other health issues ( Fibromyalgia) so she isn't sure if my symptoms are down to this, I'm still having periods although they are a bit erratic so she said it sounds like I'm peri menopausal,she then directed me to here for advice 😊

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »

Hi nannyneet

Great support on here. Your GP sounds half decent!
 :welcomemm: :welcomemm:

X

Nannyneet

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »

Hi, she is ok,I'm still getting used to her after moving to this surgery when my original GP had to take early retirement due to ill health,he was my GP from 18 years old so I had a long history with him and he was brilliant, she seems like she wants to help anyway and I know I'm not very good at explains myself so she has her work cut out 😀

Nannyneet

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:25:31 PM »

I've just had to edit my original post because I realised I had put myself down as 54 and I'm not I'm 53 😀I have another 3 weeks and 4 days to go until I am 54, I'm definitely losing the plot

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »

You'll fit right in. Losing the plot is good. Most of us have a plot that has gone AWOL and ain't coming back for the foreseeable future😁

DaisyB

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »

Welcome nannyneet :)  my first grandchild was one this week and I am still reeling from where the year has gone! Enjoy every minute of it and stay in touch for the best support you will ever get re menopause

DaisyB x

Dottyaboutdurham

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 09:10:58 AM »

Hi Nannyneet,

Welcome to the forum, I have just joined too !
Like you I feel all over the place but it's lovely having a little online ' gang ' to help you along !!!!
Many members are very knowledgeable and everyone shares their ideas and thoughts.
Big hug
Dotty x
🌹💐🌼🌷

Vajazzle

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »

Hi all, I too am a newbie as of this morning! I had a Total Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy 2 weeks ago today and now therefore in surgical menopause.

At age 48, I have been peri menopausal for around 8 years and having all of the usual symptoms, particularly hot flushes for around 3 years.

So far in surgical menopause, my hot flushes are more frequent but less severe than before the op.  No HRT as yet.  I have taken Promensil (a supplement which contains red clover) for about a year and found it really helped previously. 

Gynaecologist recommended I wait around 5-6 weeks post op for hormones to regulate and see then, if I want HRT or whether my symptoms are manageable.

ATM I'm hoping to ride it out rather than postpone menopause symptoms until after I come off HRT.  So I'll be taking a look around the alternative therapy threads..... but then again, this may be like a birth plan.... all goes out of the window when you can't cope anymore!

Nice to e-meet you all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »

Nannyneet - browse round, make notes.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary really useful.  When I visit my GP I take a list! which he reads with me so that we can prioritise.

I do suggest that if you have a history of depression that this is addressed sooner rather than later (ducks behind the parapet) as regardless of the underlying cause, it may take a while to find an HRT that eases these symptoms.  Better to get it sorted and when you have worked out whether you need HRT you will be feeling less low and anxious.  I've been on ADs since the 1980s and am sure that this is why depression didn't take hold at peri.!!

Vajazzle - maybe begin your own thread so that you don't get 'lost' here.  I will say that alternatives may be of benefit initially but when hormones take over, these benefits may be lost.  Have you found the alternative room here?  Also, some alternatives should not be taken longer term and if you can get relief from them or/and HRT, don't worry about postponing menopause symptoms.  Quality of Life, Girl, Quality of Life  ;).  Make notes.  Let us know how you progress. Better to discuss HRT with the Gynae now - because once symptoms hit it can take longer to find something that helps!  Maybe this Gynae doesn't know much about HRT so is making excuses not to discuss with you: not that I'm cynical  or anything !

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

Nannyneet - have you had blood tests etc to check other conditions like thryoid problems? Sometimes these can cause similar symptoms (also fibromyalgia - sometimes symptoms disappear with hormone replacement, inc thyroid). Good idea to keep a log of how you are feel but be sure also to log your cycle as well! I was your age when I started HRT and have been taking it for 10 years. Don't be afraid to consider this to lift your mood! Crazy mood swings will stop once you reach menopause and the hormones are no longer fluctuating wildly.

Hurdity x

PS :welcomemm: Vajazzle - yes do start your own thread or the replies will be leapfrogging over Nannyneet's!