Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Female pattern hair loss  (Read 2800 times)

freya

Female pattern hair loss
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:36:31 AM »

Hello everyone

I've been losing my hair since I stopped taking the pill (Microgynon) in 2012. Apparently I'd also gone through the menopause while on it, and didn't have any further periods when I stopped. I'm 53 now, and post-menopausal, and suffering from a lot of menopausal symptoms still. My hair loss only started a year after stopping the pill, probably because I tried ProGest progesterone cream, and has got worse and worse, more rapidly over the last couple of years.

I went to a private clinic (Philip Kingsley) two weeks ago and they diagnosed me with female pattern hair loss. I feel devastated. I've lost so much hair already, although it used to be so thick you couldn't really tell. Now I've lost it at the temples, and the hairline - you can see my scalp there - and my parting is widening. I also suffer from a really itchy, burning scalp and have for a long time. I'm very sensitive to any shampoos (even the organic unscented one I use makes my scalp itch). I tried bio-identical hormone therapy briefly in 2015, for a month, but more hair came out, so I stopped.

At the clinic I was offered drops containing minoxidil (up to 5%) and oestradiol valerate (0.004%). I haven't ordered them yet because I'm really worried they'll make my hair loss worse - apparently more hair can come out initially, and I feel demoralised enough already. I'm also reluctant because of my scalp sensitivity. And, if you start, you have to continue because if you stop your hair loss starts again (and that's assuming it works in the first place...) Does anyone have any experience with these drops (they're called PKT3 and are only available through the clinic)? And does anyone have any ideas of anything else that might help? I have ME and Fibromyalgia, so I'm mainly housebound, and to have this on top of everything is very difficult.

Thanks, and sorry for grumbling,

Freya

Annie0710

Re: Female pattern hair loss
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »

I had the itchy burning scalp and a dermatologist recommended Nizoral shampoo, it really helps with the itching
I'm at work today but will hopefully post more later x

freya

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »

Hi Stellajane,

thanks so much for this, I appreciate it. I used transdermal creams - Biest (0.5mg) - bioidentical oestradiol (0.1mg, estriol 0.4mg), building up over a couple of weeks to half a pump daily, then after 2 weeks added progesterone (15mg per 0.3ml dose), building up to half a pump daily, as directed by the doctor, but more hair came out even just using Biest. I only used half a pump because of my sensitivity to medication, but enough hair came out to make me stop. I wouldn't use conventional HRT as my mum has had breast cancer and I don't want to risk it. And I understand what you say about starting and having to continue, that makes sense, thanks.

Annie, thanks for this, too - I'll look into Nizoral.

Freya

hoping4best

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 03:07:36 AM »

Freya, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I am going through it, too, since about a year or so into my sudden menopause about 4 years ago.

I've seen a few dermatologists and a scalp pathologist and several endocrinologists. I am on minoxidil and it was helping for a while, but I think I'm in a huge shed right now due to a Jauary HRT break.

Which leads me to the question: has it been steadily worsening? Or have there been any periods of recovery? Any fluctuations?

DaisyB

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:32:53 AM »

Hello Freya
I am so sorry that you have been dealing with hair loss. Particularly difficult for women - I do hope that once hormones are settled this will stop for you. I read about a product developed here in NI by local man that was getting a lot of good press - mainly by word of mouth. Follow the link - you could email and ask about success for hormonal related hair loss?

https://www.megamane.co.uk/

DaisyB x

DaisyB

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »

Freya - afterthought! I should have asked have you had a complete profile done of your thyroid? I only mention because my mum struggled with same issue since diagnosis of under active thyroid - meds needed tweaked when hair started falling out in handfuls again. I posted recently about my thyroid - I've been reading that antibody test is more accurate and should be requested.
DaisyB

freya

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »

Hello Hoping4Best,

thanks so much for your reply - it's been worsening since I came off the pill (but only a year later, after using progesterone cream). It's been more rapid recently - more comes out when I wash my hair. But I think it's been steadily getting worse. I haven't noticed any periods of recovery. Having been diagnosed with female pattern hair loss, I was told it wouldn't stop, but wasn't told how much hair I'd lose. I'm still hoping it might settle down. I'm sorry you're going through it, too - I do understand what you feel.

Daisy, thank you so much - I'll look into megamane. And thanks for mentioning thyroid - I had a test done two years ago (privately), with antibodies etc, and was told it was fine. I did wonder, though, about sub-clinical hypothyroidism, but at the moment I can't afford more tests. I'll look at your post, though, thanks. And I hope your mum finds a balance with her meds.

Take care,
Freya