Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Fiona Phillips and stress - last night  (Read 3863 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Fiona Phillips and stress - last night
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »

Did anyone watch?  I found it very simplistic, like every 'expert' knew what we should do to change anxiety to excitement: yeah, right  >:(.  'perceived' anxiety could be altered to excitement, apparently ........ then there's the various berries which could ease stress.  I was getting angrier and angrier  ;D but I learned that Himself has anxiety: rolling gut, sweaty palms ......... B4 various events, now I'll be watching him and stressing that we will both panic  :'(

CLKD

Re: Fiona Phillips and stress - last night
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »

It seemed so easy to 'cure' though  >:( ....... and I know from personal experience that it ain't.  We nearly came to blows here as it brought up pst issues .......

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

As you say, it's better out there and hopefully more programmes could be made off the back of this episode.  I told Himself that I would love the sports psychologist mentioned to take me on board, I could prove him/her wrong about their ideas  :D

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »

Very simplistic and didn't take into account hormonal factors, which play a massive part in how we behave/ react. Brain training can help, but my goodness when you're a hostage to hormones it ain't that easy! Had an interesting discussion with my husband on this. He very much believes in the power of positivity and I do believe that this can help, but it's not that simple. I bloody wish it were. 👹

Mbrown001

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

I think most people have pre event nerves CLKD. It's perfectly normal as long as it's in context.
It's when anxiety is out of context that there is a problem.
I wouldn't worry about your hubby....he is being bog standard normal I think. I also don't think you watching his every move and stressing on his behalf will help him at all.

It's ok for others to say that anxiety is easily dealt with. Well walk a mile in a sufferers shoes and then come back and tell me the same. I think it might be a totally different story.

I think the only positive thing about that programme was that it highlighted that anxiety is not uncommon.

Mrs Brown.

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »

I enjoyed it a bit and tried the 'I'm excited'! thing when I got the dreaded adrenal surges before hot flushes the next day. Didn't work. Hubby was in stitches actually as I tried it first thing, and later in the day when I got another one I said out loud 'actually, I'm p&&&ed off'! He said 'There. That's more like it, isn't it'??  ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »

I think that, like any CBT, if it's started immediately a person suffers stress/anxiety then it might work  :-\

However: it didn't work for me this morning  :'( ........... bugga ...........

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Are there any clean swear words - eventually the neighbours will hear me  :-\  :-X

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »

I havent watched it yet but know the techniques as I teach them. However, with the physical (hormonal) anxiety the only difference I've made with my mind is matching my anxiety to something that would naturally make me feel anxious, like watching a scary film! It really makes you enjoy the fear.

Now I'm having less tachycardia, I can exercise too and fast walking on the treadmill or doing an online step class also matches the adrenaline but the scary stuff seems to feel more inline!

I found watching something relaxing and, normally, calming made me feel worse as the pounding away became even more apparent.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:52:10 PM by dangermouse »

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »

Yes exactly!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 10:09:10 PM »

That would hype me up even more  :-\ but it is probably akin to Fiona being sent down a zip wire  :o