Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Rather confused Perimenopausal new to HRT  (Read 2960 times)

carosid

Rather confused Perimenopausal new to HRT
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »

Any advice much appreciated - I'm 48 with almost every menopausal symptom mentioned! I am also on a Progestogen only pill......and I am now also on Premique low dose 0.6 - I am confused as I am not post menopausal - I only haven't had a period for years due to the POP contraception. I saw one GP and was prescribed present HRT and then had a telephone consultation with another as I thought I may have been prescribed wrong HRT but am told the one I am on is fine ........are there any other perimenopausal ladies on Premique low dose??? all advice seems to say this is incorrect for me - I have only been taking it for a week and not had any blood tests or anything to check my FSH levels - I am a bit apprehensive....any views please - thank you

DaisyB

Re: Rather confused Perimenopausal new to HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »

Carosid - just popped in to say welcome aboard! I am very new to MM as well but if you read my posts you will get the gist of what I have been experiencing over last 3 yrs. sorry I can't be more helpful re HRT as I have only just started on it and am relying on the ladies here to advise and guide me. I am sure someone more experienced will be along soon to offer some advice.  :welcomemm: You have certainly come to the right place.

DaisyB x

carosid

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »

:) Thank you for the very nice welcome DaisyB.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »

Hi carosid

:welcomemm: from me too!

I presume your doc has given you Premique no bleed HRT because you are already on the POP and not getting bleeds and the POP by itself does not usually contain sufficient progestogen to protect the womb lining from overgrowth due to oestrogen stimulation. However many women would find that too much progestogen and the side effects would far outweigh the benefits of the added oestrogen. Also Premique is the old-fashioned HRT (made from horse urine!) so you might want to take one with estradiol instead, if you are thinking of changing.

You are right though that continuous combined HRT is not normally given to women who are peri-menopausal but in your case I think this prescription has taken into account your circumstances: as the pill has stopped your periods then it is difficult to say where you are in menopause but your symptoms combined with your age should be a guide. As far as I understand it you will not get a true reading of FSH levels while taking progestogens anyway.

Personally I would not want to take such a high dose of progestogens - although many women taking the CCP do take high doses. Have you thought of having a Mirena coil which would act as a contraceptive and also give uterine protection? Then you could add oestrogen as tablet, patch or pill. Alternatively if you get on well with progestogens anway, as you are only 48 you could try the gentler CCP QLAIRA which contains oestrogen in the same form as HRT ( ie estradiol)  but controls the cycle and provides contraception too. It only has two tablet free days, although the oestrogen dose varies throughout the cycle but you would only be taking progestogens on 22 days out of 28. There is information here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php (scroll down)

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

carosid

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:56:57 AM »

:) Thank you so much Hurdity. I really appreciate your reply and the good advice - I have made a GP appointment to further discuss next week. You have certainly highlighted my concerns and given me some good arguments for changing the HRT I am on. Thank you

carosid

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »

;D Update.......Been to GP and all changed.....now on Femoston 2/10 and told to stop Progestogen only pill (I was only on it for stopping heavy bleeding- not contraception. ) I am expecting great things now! but hoping that I don't get heavy bleeding again - only one way to find out- persevere for 3 months .

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »

Thanks for the update carosid and fingers crossed it all works out well for you - let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

carosid

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »

oh my goodness :'(....I'm not sure I can cope with this feeling - first part of hrt pack (Estradiol) I felt ok - headaches settled and definitely felt less tired but I did have a few gastric issues (I haven't got a gallbladder so this isn't unusual). Gave myself a talking to....know I have to persevere for 3 months. Now 9 tablets into second part of pack - Estradiol and Dydrogesterone - woke up this morning at 4am with dreadful breast pain - only one side and feeling, what I can only describe as jittery - its almost feels like I'm panicking inside and my hands should be shaking uncontrollably...but they aren't.I seem to have restless legs syndrome all over!!  :o I'm supposed to be completing a dissertation today but instead have so far had a bacon sandwich, a bowl of cereal and keep finding reasons to get up and walk around - don't feel ill but really don't feel myself. Any advice please - should I stop my HRT or keep going??? any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

DaisyB

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »

Carosid - someone will be along with plenty of HRT knowledge. My personal experience recently was after Mirena went in I nearly went crazy as no estrogen. Since then I added estrogel and have went from .25 to .50 and even doubled that a few times last week to see if helped balance things out

Hopefully someone can be specific with advice for you.

Take care

DaisyB x

carosid

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 06:21:55 PM »

Thank you  :) its quite a rollercoaster this menopause lark!

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »

Hi carosid

Sorry to hear about your bad experience on changing to the combi tabs of Femoston. I'm not sure why this would have occurred but if you are still ovulating then your own cycle may well come into play - it might have been suppressed  on the POP depending on the type, and if so then you could be experiencing your own hormones being thrown into the mix? Another explanation could be the progestogen side effects accumulating? If the latter then hopefully given time you will acclimatise to these. Dydrogesterone is one of the better tolerated of the synthetic progestogens because it is similar to progesterone.

If you can cope and are not worried about your symptoms, then I would persist if possible - breast pain can be caused by progestogens (many women experience breast pain in the second half of their cycle). Increased oestrogen can also cause breast pain temporarily too.

I do hope your symptoms subsided as the day wore on and that you managed to finish your dissertation OK?

Hurdity x

carosid

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity. Your response is very gratefully received. I do feel much better again today but admit I didn't take a tablet yesterday as the symptoms I had frightened me a little......all your explanations sound very logical. I think I am expecting to have a magic wand waved and feel 'normal' again but need to be patient and expect a few odd symptoms whilst new medication kicks in. Thank you again for your advice and taking the time to respond - it is very reassuring and much appreciated.