Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has the menopause affected your interest in being social?  (Read 6926 times)

Tempest

Re: Has the menopause affected your interest in being social?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »

Me too. Concerts, dining out, weekends away. I miss ME!!! :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »

Been there, done all that and the thought of dressing up  :o - I'm out of bed, what more do people want  :whist:

Lizab

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »

I miss being social. I don't schedule much lately because I just don't feel like it. I have some friends who have self-diagnosed themselves with social anxiety, and they try to pin that label on me, but it's not the social part that gets me. It's the settings, the standing around with no place to sit when I feel weak, sometimes the noise, the eating whatever is served that I don't really like. My sofa, my food, my television are quite comfy. I'm really becoming a grouchy old person at 40! I should see what the retirement homes have going on weekend nights. I would likely enjoy their parties! I am trying to put away my hermit tendencies for a few hours each week though, and usually enjoying it.

Little Sam

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »

This is me to! Its not anxiety just dont want to go to events. Its weird I thought it was just me

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 09:05:10 PM »

Since we moved with hubby's new job from South Wales to Yorkshire, I don't have any friends, which I struggle with, I do have my sister & family 40 mins away, which is great. Lost all my friends back in Wales thanks to my severe PMS. Luckily I have always enjoyed my own company! I do have people I've met through swimming regularly & zumba.

Smalltownok

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:50 PM »

I don't feel anxiety - I can hold my own in most situations. I feel indifferent. I want to be on my own - I've always loved my own company but now I really love it.

I really "get" this.    :o  I don't have anxiety - in fact, I am an introvert that can be extroverted when needed.  Indifference it a great word for it....  I've always liked my alone time.  I love being with friends at times, with my family (a lot)... but I don't mind having a lot of me time.  I'm not upset with anyone, it's just nice.  ::)   

I am one who goes to events, but I am already looking forward to being back home BEFORE I get out the door. (Anyone?)  If I have a lot of days in a row where I have to be "on" I need several days where I can be home and "off."

I love people - I really do!  It's so hard to explain.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »

I want to get the event over and done with, fast - so that I know if I've a) had a panic attack or b) if I've actually enjoyed it - by then of course, it's too late *to* enjoy it.

I got fed up with small talk.  Of local gossip.  Of people wanting me to do stuff for them but not reciprocating so I now say 'no' more often.  Himself and I go out and about together, we meet people at our sports venues or old work mates a few times a year ........ I certainly don't like to be with family as too much is expected of us ........

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »

Omg CKLD ditto small talk & gossip. I was always doing things for my friends - walking their dogs, taking children home from school bus drop off even picking one child up from school never got reciprocated & I still didn't say no. At least I don't have that problem anymore, love to see how they cope now!! :P

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »

I decided after I'd been let down by a few 'friends' not to get as involved when we moved far, far away - I was very stand offish initially but got drawn in .......... but then I put my own stamp on what I did/not do for others.  When I cracked up in the mid 1990s I soon found out who friends were  :-\

I am friends with those in the various groups I go to and sociable with people I meet on a regular basis but we no longer do the dinner parties your place/our place - that is so 1970s >yawn<  ;)

How lonely are U Yorkshire Girl?

DaisyB

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »

Yorkshiregirl - I too have no close friends - my daughter calls me weird  ;D I hate demands being made on me - my family are all close by so I have plenty of company when I want it ;)
That said I started with a new chiropractor recently and last night he was hosting a small class on aromatherapy oils. I was a bit hesitant as I reckoned they couldn't teach me anything I don't already know  :o I have been using oils since I was a young girl. Anyway I went and realised afterwards that it was more the social aspect I liked and am missing! Just 3 other women attended but we had good craic ;D i think I will look for a new class/hobby over the summer - just to get that sociable experience that I am missing :'(
DaisyB x

atalanta

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »

yes massively! I have not seen any of my friends socially since the start of the year. I moved house recently and I haven't invited anyone round yet! Its difficult to explain why but I guess it is peri / meno related. I'm not known for being massively social but I didn't previously actively avoid everything as I do now. I feel relieved when I'm on my own. I mean I still do a lot, I'm not a hermit but I pretty much like doing everything on my own.   

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »

I decided after I'd been let down by a few 'friends' not to get as involved when we moved far, far away - I was very stand offish initially but got drawn in .......... but then I put my own stamp on what I did/not do for others.  When I cracked up in the mid 1990s I soon found out who friends were  :-\

I am friends with those in the various groups I go to and sociable with people I meet on a regular basis but we no longer do the dinner parties your place/our place - that is so 1970s >yawn<  ;)

How lonely are U Yorkshire Girl?

Hi CLKD It's like we're twins in this! Before we moved from South Wales all the really good friends turned their backs on me all because of my severe PMS which took hold of me 3 out of every 4 weeks they just didn't care anymore. Just before we moved one of my closest friends was having a 40th I put £20 in for pressie, I was then told not to come & I never got a thank you. Moving to Yorkshire in a way has been a blessing in disguise & I can be very lonely at times but I'm wary of making friends. Thankfully I don't mind my own company & my sister is a 40 mins drive away xx
Pages: 1 [2]