Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Menopause Is Like Quitting Heroin  (Read 5849 times)

babyjane

Re: Menopause Is Like Quitting Heroin
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »

I don't know about this so I can't comment, but Night Owl's comment struck a chord

a friend who is aged 79  believes her body still attempts to run a monthly cycle - maybe this is true, the body never gives it up.

I believe I still have a semblance of a cycle at 60 as I can pinpoint changes in my body and mind over the month with strange regularity  ::)

Tempest

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »

Me too, BJ! And I have no ovaries...... :o

I read that post acute withdrawal syndrome in drug abuse is cyclical too - roughly on a "lunar cycle' just like a woman's monthly cycle!  It must just be how the human body is programmed......Who knows the complexities of it all?

I know for the first year after my surgery when I was on no HRT I used to sob uncontrollably at the same time each month, as if I was grieving for something. One night a year in when I was bad I noticed it was just before the full moon, and years ago before my hysterectomy at 36 I remembered that my period used to start around that time. That realisation made me feel so very low as I suddenly realised my mind was in distress as it couldn't 'find  my ovaries any more....... :'(

It's hard to explain, and probably sounds really odd but I've never been so distressed in my life. And it still happens now, at the same time every month
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:32:04 PM by Tempest »

dangermouse

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »

You should read about the Wiley Protocol. It's BHRT replacement mapped to the moon phases and think it's the one Oprah Winfrey follows.

The reasoning being that women's cycles used to be in sync with the lunar phases in terms of fertility and how they would all be pregnant at the same time like the animal world. Think is was about making love in the summer months when it was warm enough and then hibernating whilst pregnant over the winter months and giving birth in the Spring. Then we got houses and central heating and it all went to pot!

dangermouse

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »

Also to add, it's the biorhythms from the moon that create our Circadian Rhythm which dictates our sleep cycle where our adrenaline rises at 5am etc. which you'll see in this graph.

https://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep_files/images/c/c9/Circadian.gif

Tempest

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »

Thank you, Dangermouse! That's truly fascinating! Wow. I wish we had more choice in our HRT's here in the private sector as well as the NHS - I truly believe custom BHRT is the way forward but I know its a very touchy subject on here sometimes.  :-\

Oprah looks great on her regime, by the way - and she manages hypothyroidism too! xxxxx

DaisyB

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »

Tempest- no offence taken ;)  I haven't read the link but I totally get how you can draw similarities between the two. My husband was chatting today and saying how I was a different women to the one a few weeks back (before I found this forum) - he made an excellent point. He said 'I understand now what you have been dealing with and had you not found this support I don't want to think what state you would be in right now. What I don't get is why there are not clinics and support groups as well as easily accessible services up and down this country? When you think of the money that is put into mental health services (although we have a long way to go there too!) and yet millions of women are suffering possibly dying and are being ignored' -   

We need properly trained GP's as they are the first port of call and gateway.       
We need an infrastructure of services that ensures women - whatever your postcode - get diagnosed, treated and supported.
And we need an NHS that can provide tailored treatment. If men went through menopause do you think this would be in place already??? I DO!!

Dangermouse - aromatose inhibitors??? Please enlighten me :-\
DaisyB x

Tempest

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 10:07:08 PM »

What a lovely Hubby you have, Daisy! :)

I know Michelemabelle kicked off a thread on starting local meet ups -for some reason, us Scottish members seemed particularly keen (we don't  get out much. It's the weather)!  ;)

And yes - we DEFINITELY need all of these things! I'm wondering if we should get together a thread for drafting a letter from us members here to the British Menopause Society asking if they could present our concerns and requests to any and all powers that be within the NHS in the hope that our voices are heard. Or petition Dr. Currie as she is the Chair. I'm sure she reads posts here but if we could make a formal request, that would be something! xxxxx

DaisyB

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

Love the idea Tempest - you know many of these wise and experienced ladies have wrote about paving the way for younger women - but what actually is changing in frontline services?? It's hit and miss from what I am reading on MM!! I am in NI but am so grateful for this help from MM that I have let michellemabelle know I would fly over if something was arranged. That said it is a big ask to expect one person to take the lead - and I did understand some ladies concerns re; security and anonymity. I though am happy to waive anonymity in favour of face to face support. Although I do agree that this may not be everyone's cup of tea!
Ps a new thread sounds like a plan!
DaisyB x

dangermouse

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »

The aromatase inhibitors lower oestrogen when it's causing problems like with oestrogen driven breast cancer and for some in perimenopause.

More can be read here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatase_inhibitor

DaisyB

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »

Fascinating - just googled a list of foods - will pass to my SIL who has had Breast cancer twice and was on tamoxifen- thank you :)
DaisyB
Pages: 1 [2]