Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Rosacea  (Read 7744 times)

Leesh

Rosacea
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »

Aaarrrgghhh....

Hello all  :)

From having a totally spot-free life I have gone to awful rosacea and I hate it! I'm assuming it's hormone related as it first struck with my third pregnancy at 36, went after a few months, and came back about 2 years ago and it's pretty persistent.

I've tried all sorts to help it. Metrogel was ok but left me looking like I had walked through a spider's web as it just peeled off. I switched to rosex cream but it calms it downs for a day or so and then comes back worse. It's also leaving my face really dry and rough. Coconut oil is my current try-out but I've only just started with that. I did start taking turmeric but I got sick of the taste of it!

I'm wondering if HRT would help? I'm a single mum and would love to date but it's really knocking my confidence, as even makeup can't hide the lumps and bumps. I'm pretty lucky with other symptoms - no mood swings, manageable hot flushes - night sweats are interesting - and periods which resemble a slasher movie.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Rosacea
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »

Have you used the 'search' button here, if you type in 'rosacea' you should see threads pop up.  You can then add your comments.

Leesh

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »

No I haven't, still finding my way around  :)

Thank you x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

Hi Leesh. Sorry to learn about your Rosacea. I only developed it around a year ago and I hate it too. I have been on HRT almost continuously for the last ten years and I can say that, whether on or off HRT, it makes no difference to mine. I'm using Azelaic Acid at the moment prescribed by the doc as I can't have the best treatment, Metronidazole, as I'm allergic to this particular antibiotic in pill form and nobody wants to risk prescribing it to me in gel form either. Have you tried the pill form? It's supposed to work better than the gel. 

I find my worst triggers are alcohol, stress or sunshine. Not sure what to suggest. I'm thinking of booking a private consultation with a dermatologist.

Taz x   :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »

Hi Leesh

:welcomemm: from me too.

I'm not exactly sure what rosacea is but when I was going through menopause and probably getting later in the transition (periods very occasional) my facial skin had developed a weird redness and I used to get these warm itchy bumps on my cheeks - not exactly acne - but not pleasant at all. They looked horrible and were really annoying. It sort of felt like they were related to hot flushes or triggered by them ie my skin was heating up too much. The spots never had heads on - more like nettlerash I suppose. As soon as I started HRT they disappeared and my skin is now normal ( I never had acne as a teenager anyway). A few years ago I stopped HRT for 3 months and along with other menopausal symptoms returning - lo and behold my red itchy cheeks also re-appeared so for me it was definitely hormonal. When I restarted HRT (still using it) they disappeared again and cheeks are fine now.

Sorry to hear yours is there whether or not you are taking HRT Taz - does this mean yours is not hormonal? I can imagine alcohol would trigger it - my cheeks go bright red anyway when I drink alcohol, but fortunately not the hot spots.

What are your periods doing Leesh - besides being heavy - have you skipped any yet and is your cycle length variable?

I do sympathise with anyone who suffers with this distressing condition.

Hurdity x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »

Hi Leesh, I'm a sufferer too!

Mine started right at the beginning of peri when my allergies were triggered too, but for me it is most definitely triggered by sun exposure. I wear a high sunscreen throughout the year, in my foundation in the winter too.

I'm very lucky because I manage to keep mine at bay. If it starts to flare, it's always to the right side of my mouth and the docs immediately prescribe Oxytetracycline for 6 weeks and it works every time, though can take a while. I haven't had a break out for years now. I know from previous discussions on here, lots of women can't take the tetracyclines, though I find the Oxy kinder than the others. I tried virtually every other prep but without success. If I ignore it or don't move fast it really starts to spread.

Unfortunately I also developed Ocular Rosacea which is a massive pain as I have to pay daily attention to my eye hygiene. I can't wear eye makeup anymore aside from a super sensitive eyeliner and mascara, anything else makes me react terribly.

I do hope you find a solution, my dermatologist said it very commonly starts in peri and is prevalent in those with fair complexions. I have never suffered with spots, always had very clear skin but I'm as pale as a jelly fish!! The Americans refer to it as the Celtic Condition! xx

Leesh

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Elizabethrose - I also have ocular rosacea and it's awful when it flares. Itchy, stinging, dry - it drives me mad. I am certainly of the Celtic complexion - Irish mother, fair skin, freckles blah blah. What sunscreen do you use? I think the sun definitely plays havoc with mine so I need to find one which doesn't clog my skin or irritate it.

Hurdity - rosacea can take on a few forms. some get facial flushing and redness, others (like me) get acne rosacea which results in horrible painful bumps which do come to a head sometimes. It makes the skin really sensitive and painful, itchy, dry...it's very unsightly. Periods - sigh. Yes, I have gone from every 25 days like clockwork, lasting 5 - 7 days, to every 45 days sometimes, other times every 2 weeks, and flooding, but lasting less time(4 days). The other night I had to sleep with a towel between my legs, and still soaked through two night time pads and the towel in less than 2 hours. Bizarrely I can't seem to keep a tampon in properly since this all started, but my most recent smear didn't show anything untoward like a prolapse or anything.

Taz2 - no I haven't tried pill form yet, I do tend to have a sensitive stomach when it comes to meds, but maybe I will try it to see if it can clear it.

Oh, I have also noticed I am shedding hair a lot more! I have long hair and it falls out so easily.

It's a joy, this menopause lark isn't it?  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »

Hi again Leesh,

Just found some previous threads that may offer more hot tips for you! Ignore them if you've searched already x

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32732.0.html
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35516.msg568109.html#msg568109
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23288.0.html

Sorry was just about to post the above when you responded.

I wear Clinique on my face the City Bloc 25, can't use the Super City Bloc 40 as it makes my eyes react despite never putting it near my eyes. (These would be if I'm not using makeup, i.e. on a beach which to be honest I avoid like the plague!!).  I also use the Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30, which is a foundation if I'm going to be exposed to the sun without being able to avoid it. For everyday throughout the year I wear Even Betterâ„¢ Makeup SPF15, which feels the most comfortable.

I can't use any sun preps around my eyes at all so have to wear sun specs. The only eye cream I can use now is the Avène soothing eye contour cream which is just brilliant and calming. No foundation or shadows on my eye lids but I can use the Clinique Airbrush Concealer under my eyes which doesn't irritate. It is all a monumental pain in the butt!

On my body I use Avène sun preps, it really is a fab range especially if you are sensitive. x

meno lesley

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »

I had rosacea for many years in my thirties and the only thing that worked for me was a continuous low dose oxeytetracycline. Think it was hormones with me as would get worse at certain times of the month x

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:23:58 PM »

Some interesting facts here about Rosacea and it's possible link to a mite http://www.pharmacymagazine.co.uk/the-different-faces-of-rosacea

I think a trip back to my GP might be worth it. Mine is the bumps and really sore spots type plus broken veins. It started on one cheek and is now on both cheeks and across my nose (very painful) and has just begun on the middle section of my forehead. I have always had really clear skin (like my mum) so it is odd to develop this at my age (63). GP did say I was a bit late!

Taz x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 05:20:36 AM »

Thanks for that Taz, interesting read. I'd read about the mite before, always a delight to remember the many bugs we have hanging around!

Whilst a pain, I appreciate how lucky I am being able to control this if I catch it early. None of the topical creams worked for me the only solution has been the Oxytetracycline, which unlike Stellajane, has never made my face more sun sensitive. My daughter was on another tetracycline for acne treatment and she was warned about sun exposure with that one.

The increasing sensitivity to skin care and makeup products is hugely inconvenient but I've found the French skincare houses, restricted for sale in pharmacies only, are generally kinder. I use both Vichy and Avène for sensitive skins, which do not irritate. I've used Clinique for over 40 years but find myself more reactive to their products and am now down to just using the Extra Mild Facial Cleansing Bar in the shower, DDM, some makeup but nothing from their eye makeup collections excluding one mascara. Interestingly, their anti ageing and extra boost type products will make me swell in seconds.

Clinique used to have a brilliant product called Comfort on Call, which desensitised the skin, really calming it after sun/ weather exposure. It was the more mature woman's go to product. However, they suddenly discontinued it and despite world wide hue and cry from customers and Clinique store consultants alike, they refused to bring it back. The Red Solutions range was seen to be the replacement but I didn't find it offered the same solution and my skin didn't do well with it.

DaisyB

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »

Hello Leesh and welcome x
I'm 50 and have been in peri for few years. All came to a head in January of this year - one of the symptoms was a rash from my nostril around my mouth and across cheek. Wouldn't shift and eventually a guy in a Khiels store said it was rosacea as he was a sufferer also and recognised it. He gave me a calming balm that took weeks to work and didn't totally irradicate but got rid of the most of it. I use coconut oil to remove makeup and I've started blending a big dollop in turmeric latte last few days. I can't be sure what's keeping it at bay currently as I did start HRT recently. But I also made my own face cream - from beeswax, coconut oil, lemon essential oil and avocado oil. Was very easy to do and is absolutely lovely on my skin! Couple of tiny pin head postules now that are not even noticeable. I hope you find something that works for you xx

DaisyB x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »

Interestingly, the later I moved into peri/meno, some of the incredibly ridiculous reactions, that had started at the beginning of peri, started to diminish. I can only hope that will continue.

It's so weird the way we all react so differently to everything, it would be so much easier if one size fit all! The tetracyclines can all cause sun sensitivities it would seem, though some more than others and none of us will know how we'd react unless we try. Such a pain!

I am completely unable to expose any flesh without a high sun protection factor Stellajane, even a walk up the garden to the compost heap would be enough to trigger a reaction. My face is actually probably the least reactive to the sun though I don't push this and always wear sunscreen!

I am absolutely not a summer person, bring on the winter for me!!

Rachel487

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »

I have been prescribed Soolantra by my GP for rosacea, and it has worked really well. It is fairly new so you may have to educate your GP about it.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »

Thanks Rachel and welcome  :)

I've found this study on Soolantra (Invermectin) http://www.lancsmmg.nhs.uk/download/newdrug%20reviews/Ivermectin%20cream%20for%20WEBSITE.pdf

It does look encouraging. I've had no success with azelaic acid and I see that the success rate of Soolantra is slightly higher so may be worth a try. The cost is almost three times higher though so I may have to go in to see the doc prepared to do battle  :valkyrie:

Why not introduce yourself under new members so that more can welcome you.

Taz x  :welcomemm: