Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Depression & Sandrena gel as treatment  (Read 7339 times)

Marinamumma

Depression & Sandrena gel as treatment
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »

Hi all,
First post here. Has anyone had constant depression (I may be peri menopausal) that they found aided by hrt? The Sandrena gel is recommended for hormonal depression & as my depression hasn't shifted (have a history of pnd both kids, and depression outside of pnd) ive started the gel. I've tried several new anti d's after mine ceased being effective but no joy. I'm at at my wits end and have anxiety with it too.
A friend started the bio identical hrt and the gel eased her depression very quickly. I've used it for seven days, how long should it take to notice it working on mood?
My gp has said to try it (I got it from a friend). She said if it helps I'll have to take the progesterone obviously.
I'm 44 and still getting periods. I've always had pmt that left me shitty but not desperate. But this depression has been brutal. I'm using 2g ever night, applying to inner thigh.
My depression has been constant and it's exhausting and debilitating. Terrible appetite too. Looking for hope! Thanks.

Dancinggirl

Re: Depression & Sandrena gel as treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
If your depression is due to hormones then some HRT could be helpful. It can take at least 3 months for any hormone treatment to help. I believe HRT cannot solve everything but as part of a range of strategies, HRT can be well worth trying.
Be patient and see how things go. HRT is not like ADs or SRRIs which usually offer relief with a 2-4 weeks - it may take time.
Keep us posted abut your progress. DG x

Marinamumma

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »

Thank you. I just have high hopes due to a friends experience of fairly quick relief from the gel. Hopefully some other users may have experienced a constant depression& found relief in this way. 😀

peri

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

Hi Marinamumma

I found quick relief with patches and in fact had a sense of wellbeing within 24 hours of starting them. The hard part for me is that progesterone part which I'm still trying to get right.  Like DG says I would persevere and fingers crossed it works for you, wishing you well and keep us posted  x

Marinamumma

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:47:48 PM »

Did you suffer with depression? X

peri

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

Yes, I believe I need oestrogen levels  to be at a certain level to function.  My issues started when I became peri-menopausal and I realised there was a cyclical nature to it all.  As soon as I replaced the oestrogen I began to feel better - it's why I aim to stay on hrt forever.  I don't like anti-depressants personally, they turned me into a non sexually functioning zombie which I found unacceptable (although I accept this is not the case for everybody) x

Marinamumma

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

Thanks. This depression hasn't been cyclical and not shifted so hoping the gel helps. Be great to hear from others too x

peri

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »

Hormones are precursors to our mood so it should do.  Why not commit to give it 3 months, maybe keep a diary so you can look back and see changes. Wishing you well x

Marinamumma

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »

Yes, that's a good idea. I'm just so desperate for it to work. X

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

Hi Marinamumma

:welcomemm:

I am a bit confused here - if your depression is not hormonal then HRT may not help! If you suffered PND and hormone treatment improved things then it is possible that Sandrena gel will do the same. However if you say your depression is not cylical then that does not indicate a hormonal cause unless your oestrogen levels are so low that your mood never lifts even for the few days either side of ovulation - the usual feel-good time of the month? You said earlier that you suffered pms though  :-\.

I agree though one week is definitely not enough time! You are not your friend and your body will react differently. Mood is not like a metabolic process so is more unpredictable, and yes try it (along with a progestogen) for 3 months at least.

Have your periods changed at all eg become irregular or lighter/variable in length or flow?

Also have a look at other lifestyle factors if you can to try to improve how you feel - eg body weight ( if necessary) diet, exercise, alcohol intake, smoking, stress, fresh air, relaxation etc!  Make some time for yourself and do something that makes you feel good on a regular basis :)

Hurdity x

Joesmum

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »

Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
Under active thyroid can cause catastrophic depression.
Thyroid problems occur round about the same time as menopause.

If you have had it checked then ask for your results.
You will need the TSH, FT4 and FT3 results.

If you haven't had it checked then it is imperative that you do.

The symptoms of underactive thyroid are very similar to menopause and many women have both issues at the same time.

Marinamumma

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »

Thanks both. This depression has been constant and hormones can cause this, Prof Studd confirms this. I'm going to get all bloods done tomorrow at GP. It's bloody awful and I'm just desperate. I'll get thyroid done too. 😀