Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Reducing cholesterol  (Read 3585 times)

Katejo

Reducing cholesterol
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »

What success have you had with this (without taking statins  which I am determined not to take)?
Before Xmas I decided to increase my exercise and lose a few pounds before the next blood test. I kept this up until mid March and then got a throat infection which lasted weeks so haven't done as much. I have a walking holiday coming up soon.
My diet weakness is cheese but, apart from that, I don't  eat much red meat and have plenty of veg.

Salad

Re: Reducing cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »

Sounds like you're working hard - I've not found out if it's been effective yet but I'm taking Red Yeast extract which is supposed to reduce cholesterol - I'd be interested if anyone else has used it successfully.  :)

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »

Reduce your carbohydrate intake. Lot of evidence that it's nothing to do with dietary cholesterol and all to do with how body converts carbs into trigylicerides. Read the likes of diet doctor, Mike Kenderick, and dr Mahlotra. I reduced mine considerably by reducing carbs( I am diabetic) and drinking one of those benecol yogurt drinks a day.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »

Totally agree with coldethyl, its got nothing to do with high fat intake and too much dairy, they have now proved, that a diet too high in carbs and sugar is the danger, my OH reduced his carbs and sugar and his cholesterol readings dropped from around 7 to well under 5.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »

Totally agree with coldethyl, its got nothing to do with high fat intake and too much dairy, they have now proved, that a diet too high in carbs and sugar is the danger, my OH reduced his carbs and sugar and his cholesterol readings dropped from around 7 to well under 5.

I haven't tried Benecol (spread or yoghurt) because I was dubious about its claims!  Will have a look at reducing carbs and sugar a bit. How much of  a change did your OH make? Did he try to cut them out completely (which I would find hard). I only very occasionally  eat things like gateaux and pastries  and don't have desserts after my main course.
I eat lots of pulses/beans/lentils  (homemade carrot, cauliflower and mixed barley soup this week) which are supposed to reduce the effect of bad cholesterol. Nuts are also recommended but they can be fattening.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »

You must be right Cassie because since OH lost loads of weight and reversed his diabetes his cholesterol levels are also low. His main weaknesses were bread and biscuits which he only ever eats rarely now. He does also use those cholesterol lowering spreads on his crispbreads though (and is pretty generous with them in my opinion!) - so perhaps they do help?
I would find it near impossible to give up bread but I do always  buy decent quality wholemeal/ granary types with seeds in. Will try a Benecol spread.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »

I don't really understand the whole thing about cholesterol and what is supposed to be the problem with it - well I thought I did. However my levels were over 7 at last blood test but doc said all was fine but to repeat the test in two years - no action needed. She said some people just have higher levels..... I have followed a pretty low carb/sugar diet for almost two years now, but eat a lot of eggs! I am not overweight and take a moderate amount of exercise 9 walking, fitness classes etc). When I read about high levels I then get worried re heart attack etc but if the doc is not worried then presumably I shouldn't be? I can't understand why have not been advised to try to lower these levels.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question Katejo - but perhaps in a tangential way!

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »

He stopped with sugar in his coffee that was difficult he first began having a sugar replacement such as Xylitol but it was so bitter he went cold turkey is quite used to it now, cut back on his Coke, beer, bread & jam, potatoes etc and upped his fat intake and vegetables, salads etc. He does cheat make no mistake, had pudding and custard on Sunday and at Xmas time it was all the trimmings, one has to have some fun, but it did make a huge difference, even to his blood pressure.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »

He stopped with sugar in his coffee that was difficult he first began having a sugar replacement such as Xylitol but it was so bitter he went cold turkey is quite used to it now, cut back on his Coke, beer, bread & jam, potatoes etc and upped his fat intake and vegetables, salads etc. He does cheat make no mistake, had pudding and custard on Sunday and at Xmas time it was all the trimmings, one has to have some fun, but it did make a huge difference, even to his blood pressure.
  I have started by stopping sugar in coffee. Cut it out in tea in 1988!  Much harder with bread/ potatoes/  pasta. Just having salad doesn't  fill me and I find it boring to eat a plate of salad only. Alcohol  no problem  for me. Very low drinker.

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »

You can fill up on nuts, things like sliced ham, cheese, fruit sticks, full fat yoghurt etc etc, it does take a while but ones body soon adapts.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »

You can fill up on nuts, things like sliced ham, cheese, fruit sticks, full fat yoghurt etc etc, it does take a while but ones body soon adapts.
Might be ok in summer but not in colder weather. Think I will go for smaller portions/more exercise  but not cut carbohydrate completely. I don't want to increase fat intake.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »

I don't really understand the whole thing about cholesterol and what is supposed to be the problem with it - well I thought I did. However my levels were over 7 at last blood test but doc said all was fine but to repeat the test in two years - no action needed. She said some people just have higher levels..... I have followed a pretty low carb/sugar diet for almost two years now, but eat a lot of eggs! I am not overweight and take a moderate amount of exercise 9 walking, fitness classes etc). When I read about high levels I then get worried re heart attack etc but if the doc is not worried then presumably I shouldn't be? I can't understand why have not been advised to try to lower these levels.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question Katejo - but perhaps in a tangential way!

Hurdity x
  I am surprised that you only get tested every 2 years. My GP practice does it twice a year. if I don't get the tests done, I won't get my repeat prescriptions. On a previous occasion several years ago I saw a different doctor (locum I think). He told me that they combine the cholesterol test with several other factors/results to produce a final figure. If the result is over 20, the patient needs statins. Mine was then 5 so I was well clear. I saw a GP last week for something else but also asked about the blood test. He asked me if I wanted to take statins and I said 'No absolutely not'. I explained that I was trying to do more exercise/lose a few pounds but that it had been held up due to recent throat infection. I am only very slightly overweight (still within normal BMI range) so am trying to lose a few more pounds.

nearly50

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 01:27:44 PM »

Hi

I was told to put my results into this
https://qrisk.org/2016/
in order to calculate risk. My good cholesterol is very high which offsets my high bad cholesterol - I really have nothing I can possibly change in my diet so am leaving it there.

My GP never tests my cholesterol - I got mine as part of a private blood test.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »

Hi

I was told to put my results into this
https://qrisk.org/2016/
in order to calculate risk. My good cholesterol is very high which offsets my high bad cholesterol - I really have nothing I can possibly change in my diet so am leaving it there.

My GP never tests my cholesterol - I got mine as part of a private blood test.
I have just tried this and entered 7 as my cholesterol level plus the extra info. It gave me a risk of 5.4%

wombat62

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 11:42:56 PM »

I had a 7 reading once which freaked me out! Although I'm convinced that was something to do with going through bad meno symptoms at the time. Usually I'm around 5-5.5 and no amount of exercise or diet seems to get it down. 

After that reading, upped the exercise, looked at diet - even though my diet has never been bad (and that didn't stop me getting gallstones!), ate more oats etc and then next blood test it came back down to normal for me.

It also depends on the ratio of good v. bad readings. My good has always been very good but over the years the bad has crept up. Actually haven't had one since I lost all the weight after the gallstone saga so I would be interested to see what it is now.

However, they've been on about cholesterol in the news recently saying it's only one factor in heart disease and maybe has had too much emphasis put on it especially if a reading isn't too high. From what I know about statins, unless you really need them I think they do more harm. I know several people who complain about aching joints and muscles whilst on them!