Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Raised levels of calcium in blood?  (Read 1848 times)

TJ64

Raised levels of calcium in blood?
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:17:51 PM »

Had an ECG today due to the continuous palpitations over the past week - didn't get one while the test was running

I also had a chest Xray and numerous blood tests - was told all was fine but one of my results came back with with raised levels of calcium but they weren't too worried about it at this stage.
I did some research and found the following

If you have an elevated calcium level, the cause needs to be found and needs to be found as rapidly as possible for your bone health. If you have an elevated calcium level- even if it's only 'slightly elevated', continually 'borderline elevated' or it was elevated only one time, you absolutely need to be seen by an endocrinologist. Calcium is sucked from your bones into your blood stream, where it ends up causing bone mineral loss which will eventually lead to osteoporosis. Even a minuscule increase would 99.96% indicate it is more likely to be Parathyroid disease - A benign tumor on the thyroid -  I've seen some posts on Osteoporosis and Menopause, just wondered if any of this means anything to anyone?

Husband thinks i'm paranoid reading stuff - i prefer to think of it as educating myself so i don't get brushed off by the doctors.  :-\

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:28:23 PM by TJ64 »

Chrissie2017

Re: Raised levels of calcium in blood?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 06:16:10 AM »

Hi. My sister had the same thing a few years ago..it was only discovered during a routine blood test through work and she had no symptoms other than fatigue which she took to be normal as she had been working long hours at that time. It turns out it was her parathyroid which she had to have removed. It did cause her to have osteoporosis but she was lucky it was found early enough for it not to become a huge problem. She took alendronic acid for a while and takes vitamin D supplements and she is perfectly fine now. I think it is very wise to educate ourselves as much as possible on anything to do with our own health..  from past experience I don't always have a great deal of faith in GPs and it is invaluable to arm ourselves with as much knowledge as possible when trying to look after ourselves :-)

crazydaisy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »

I know a bit about Calcium problems though mine is low due to my parathyroids not working.

You do need to learn about it but only go on NHS websites, look at the symptoms of high calcium, do you suffer from them? headaches, constipation, needing to wee a lot, thirsty, low mood, fatigue?? palpitations is also one.

Do you take a lot of vit D ? calcium suppliments 'they can raise calcium levels too high.

I would make an appointment to see your GP explain to him about your high calcium result, if they have a copy from hospital what was the result?  normal calcium is between 2.2 and 2.6.

hope you get some reassurance from your GP and another blood test.

TJ64

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »

Thank you both, i'll be making a GP appointment on Monday, probably won't get one for 2 weeks, but will discuss and ask lots of questions.
 :)