Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: menopause and palpatations  (Read 2737 times)

TJ64

menopause and palpatations
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I've been going through some posts on palpitations and the menopause which has helped put my mind at ease slightly.
I had a hysterectomy (partial) still have ovaries when i was 40 (Now 52) it was confirmed a couple of years ago i was in the middle of menopause, main symptoms were hot flushes and feeling teary all the time. I talked to my doctor who prescribed me patches, not sure what they were called as i didn't end up taking them, read the side effects and thought i'd rather have the symptoms.
A couple of months ago i started getting palpitations, i get them sitting down at work, walking down the street or when lying down at night, had them for a few days and they went. A month later i got them again, i figured this was something to do with menopause or time of the month, because i still get all those other menstrual symptoms.

I'm now at that time of the month again and i've had palpitations on and off all day/night for 3 days straight. Hence why i came to look up on this forum. I can see a lot of women get these at certain times or when trying to sleep, but is it normal to have them throughout the day/night?

I've decided i'll have to go back to docs, mainly to do with this but also because i'm getting aching joints, feeling teary and feeling very agitated/moody, hot flushes aren't that bad anymore. I think patches would suit as i'm awful at remembering to take pills. Did any of you ladies make the choice what you had or did you let your doctors work it out with you?

Thank you in advance  :)

MicheleMaBelle

Re: menopause and palpatations
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »

HI TJ- normal to have palpitations at all times of the day. I get them in the morning after I've used Oestrogel but I can get them all time of the day and night. It's normal so please don't worry.
Sounds like you might want to consider restarting Oestrogen only HRT and the patches work for a lot of women. They are convenient and some women cut them to get a dosage that suits them!
It's probably a good place to start. Just tell your GP that's where you want to start, try and give them 3 months to work. Accept that you might have to tweak the dosage or delivery method if you feel that they're not working.

Have a look at the info on this site and go back to your doc. Let us know how you get on x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »

Hi TJ64

Yes definitely start with the patches - they are so easy to use and you only have to remember to change them twice a week. You are lucky in that you do not need to take a progestogen as you have no uterus, and this is usually the problem with HRT causing unwanted side effects. If you read the information on this website the benefits of HRT outweigh the risks at your age, and you have only just reached the average age of natural menopause anyway.

I would suggest asking to try a low dose to start with and gradually build up over a few weeks. The one I use is Estradot which is tiny and sticks well - and also comes in a range of doses starting with 25 mcg. Why not ask for these and move up to 50 mcg after a few weeks. Hopefully this will alleviate the worst of your symptoms, as your body begins to recover from oestrogen deficiency.

It might be an idea for the docs to give you other blood tests at this stage to check for other conditions - which sometimes occur around the same time eg thyroid.

Sorry I can't help with the palpitations - not a problem I have ever encountered - well only occasionally, but my gynae GP said that low oestrogen can cause them, and they are a common menopausal symptom.

Hurdity x

TJ64

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »

HI TJ- normal to have palpitations at all times of the day. I get them in the morning after I've used Oestrogel but I can get them all time of the day and night. It's normal so please don't worry.
Sounds like you might want to consider restarting Oestrogen only HRT and the patches work for a lot of women. They are convenient and some women cut them to get a dosage that suits them!
It's probably a good place to start. Just tell your GP that's where you want to start, try and give them 3 months to work. Accept that you might have to tweak the dosage or delivery method if you feel that they're not working.

Have a look at the info on this site and go back to your doc. Let us know how you get on x

Thanks Michelle,
Just need to book an appointment

TJ64

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »

Hi TJ64

Yes definitely start with the patches - they are so easy to use and you only have to remember to change them twice a week. You are lucky in that you do not need to take a progestogen as you have no uterus, and this is usually the problem with HRT causing unwanted side effects. If you read the information on this website the benefits of HRT outweigh the risks at your age, and you have only just reached the average age of natural menopause anyway.

I would suggest asking to try a low dose to start with and gradually build up over a few weeks. The one I use is Estradot which is tiny and sticks well - and also comes in a range of doses starting with 25 mcg. Why not ask for these and move up to 50 mcg after a few weeks. Hopefully this will alleviate the worst of your symptoms, as your body begins to recover from oestrogen deficiency.

It might be an idea for the docs to give you other blood tests at this stage to check for other conditions - which sometimes occur around the same time eg thyroid.

Sorry I can't help with the palpitations - not a problem I have ever encountered - well only occasionally, but my gynae GP said that low oestrogen can cause them, and they are a common menopausal symptom.

Hurdity x

Thanks Hurdity,

Will be sure to make some notes to take with me to the docs :)

lollipop

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »

Hi tj64 had no periods since 2012ish,but I get palps every so often usually the week after my period was due still sort of know when I should ave a period get the mood swings lol but also get them if stressed been told often that they are normal,before I used to think I was having heart attack my daughter is a cardiac nurse and said all very normal x

TJ64

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »

Hi tj64 had no periods since 2012ish,but I get palps every so often usually the week after my period was due still sort of know when I should ave a period get the mood swings lol but also get them if stressed been told often that they are normal,before I used to think I was having heart attack my daughter is a cardiac nurse and said all very normal x
Hi Lollipop
It's weird my last period was 2005 I've kind of linked the palpitations to the time i would have had my cycle, give or take a day or two. Only got more worried because they're now lasting days and I find myself becoming extremely agitated and moody for no reason.
 :)

lollipop

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:56:31 AM »

Morning yep that sounds about right,mine are exactly the same but I have come to think oh well something else to get on with otherwise we wouldn't live a normal life or as what I call normal ;D it is all down to bloody hormone fluctuations thank god for this website xx

Yammy1

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

This week I started keeping a diary of How Im Feeling to see if there's a pattern, obviously it will take a few months , I have suffered from anxiety on and off for many years but since my hysterectomy in 2012 I am a lot more anxious. The two worse symptoms for me are palps, heart jumping and feeling dizzy. It's really hard to believe that there is nothing seriously wrong when heart is pounding and head so dizzy

TJ64

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »

This week I started keeping a diary of How Im Feeling to see if there's a pattern, obviously it will take a few months , I have suffered from anxiety on and off for many years but since my hysterectomy in 2012 I am a lot more anxious. The two worse symptoms for me are palps, heart jumping and feeling dizzy. It's really hard to believe that there is nothing seriously wrong when heart is pounding and head so dizzy
Good idea, i guess i should do the same to be sure there's a pattern :)