Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Not doing well  (Read 2987 times)

Cathh3110

Not doing well
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »

I don't have a question but just wanted to write how I feel at the moment - I am not doing well. I am 53 and tried HRT etc which didn't work. Had Mirena coil fitted on 7 December due to very heavy periods but been bleeding since then. I went to see a consultant last month and had scans and awaiting results of biopsy, she also changed the coil in case it was faulty and gave me a course of norethisterone. The norethisterone has not agreed with me at all, felt awful on it with headaches and generally feeling unwell - and the bleeding didn't stop, so I have stopped taking it and now feel really emotional and sat crying last night (I was like this last year!). I am bleeding heavily and have quite large clots which I didn't think would happen with the mirena.
I go back to see the consultant on 8th June and it may be that I have to have a partial hysterectomy.  :(

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Not doing well
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »

Hi Cath H-  :bighug: I can't comment on the Mirena but I do know from bitter experience that any progesterone derived from testesterone ( norethisterone) makes me feel especially bad, weepy, low and terrible headaches).Sounds as if you're having a similar reaction. What I don't understand is why your consultant gave you this in addition to the new mirena? X

Cathh3110

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »

Hi Michelemabelle Thank you for your response. I really don't know why I was given them either, she said we had to try them and see how they go for 6 weeks, then stop taking them for 2 weeks which then takes me to my next appointment with her when we will discuss the next action which could be ablation or removal of the womb, but as I am bleeding constantly then it looks like the womb removal will be the best option.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »

Hi cath- I would need to bow to her greater knowledge on this so I hope things settle down for you and you get a lasting solution. Keep your chin up x

Peacegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

Cath, all I can say is many of us on here have been or still are where you are. It's so tough. All I can do myself when it gets bad around the parts I can't change
1. Acknowledge to myself that it's tough right now
2. Be kind and compasssionate to myself
3. Try and do what I need to do, I.e. In my case not rushing around trying to be super-woman but resting. In the end I couldn't do much anyway but accepting that with kindness took practice.

I hope you find some peace and light soon.

Sending hugs xxx

TJ64

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »

I don't have a question but just wanted to write how I feel at the moment - I am not doing well. I am 53 and tried HRT etc which didn't work. Had Mirena coil fitted on 7 December due to very heavy periods but been bleeding since then. I went to see a consultant last month and had scans and awaiting results of biopsy, she also changed the coil in case it was faulty and gave me a course of norethisterone. The norethisterone has not agreed with me at all, felt awful on it with headaches and generally feeling unwell - and the bleeding didn't stop, so I have stopped taking it and now feel really emotional and sat crying last night (I was like this last year!). I am bleeding heavily and have quite large clots which I didn't think would happen with the mirena.
I go back to see the consultant on 8th June and it may be that I have to have a partial hysterectomy.  :(

Hi Cath,
I don't know your history, i've only just started on this site. You sound like me a few years ago, have you been checked for Fibroids?  I had one the size of a football and didn't know, was walking around for months with zero energy and couldn't move from one room to the other without leaking everywhere.
Hope you feel better soon  :)

Cathh3110

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »

Hi thanks for your replies they are very helpful.
TJ64 I had scans and they did not show any fibroids or polyps, which the consultant was surprised about as I think she more or less expected one or the other. She took a biopsy but I haven't had the results yet so I'm thinking if there was anything to find they would have contacted me by now.

I ended up feeling so exhausted last week that I had to take some time off work, which I never do, but I do think I need to start listening to my body and look after myself.

xxxx

Butterfly22

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

Ah cath so sorry to hear this, I don't have any advice but like others say your not alone.
Us ladies have to put up with a lot and hormones on top can make you feel down, crazy, sad, angry.
When I feel down I do try to remember it won't last.
Sending hugs xxx

DaisyB

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »

Hi Cath - I am so sorry to hear how unwell you have been this past while. I am quite new here and wouldnt have the knowledge to advise you on your specific issues. What I would like to share with you is the importance of being kind to yourself and listening to your body - if you need rest try to get it!  A friend, who has had a dreadful year with cancer, said to me recently she had to remind herself everyday that nothing ever stays the same forever. This kept her going on the toughest of days. There are some wonderfully knowledgable women on this forum who have already provided lots of info. I wish you well and hope you get some relief soon.

DaisyB x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »

Hello

Notheristerine is given in addition to the Mirena coil to stop bleeding. It's given in larger doses for bleeding than it is for HRT. As others have said it can cause PMT, it did for me. I was prescribed it alongside the Mirena too.
Now you have stopped taking it, I think you are experiencing progesterone withdrawal. If you put it in the search bar on forum, there's quite a few of us who suffer with it. Weepiness, low mood, etc.
It will get better as days pass.
I had same problems as you and ended up having a total hysterectomy.

Optimist

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 05:17:54 AM »

Hi Cath,
Not sure if this will help but when I was having really heavy bleeds I was started on tranexamic acid by GP, worked straight away if you're able to take it, it's worth a try. Also would recommend an iron supplement as your levels will likely be depleted with so much bleeding. Up your fibre intake and fluids if taking extra iron as you don't want constipation as well!!
Hope you feel better soon 💐X