Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone irritability - what is the science?  (Read 4408 times)

Peacegirl

Progesterone irritability - what is the science?
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »

So I keep reading that many of us experience this and I've tended to write my own experience off as me just being the irritable cow I can be. I use mindfulness to help me manage this. But, a couple of times recently I noticed that there were happy, pleasant thoughts drifting through my mind yet I still felt intensely irritated. It almost felt physical. So im wondering if theres any medical reason for this sensation. Does anyone know of any research?

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Progesterone irritability - what is the science?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »

I'm afraid I am no scientist, but I totally know what you're talking about. As I understand it, for some women, progesterone can cause irritability, low mood or anxiety. Plus, a sudden drop in progesterone (as in the days before your period) can ALSO cause irritability etc, hence PMS.

Optimist

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »

I feel I could write a book on this-the drop of progesterone levels leaves me exhausted, irritable and unhappy and I feel better on the progesterone/oestrogen part of the sequi than I do on just the oestrogen of which when I've tried to increase also makes me irritable! I've also experienced that surreal time of feeling happily calm but irritable...how is that possible?
Why are we such complicated creatures?
When I say to my other half "you're so lucky being a man" I get, "we have to shave every day" lol if only that was my only daily chore 😂😂😂

Peacegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

Ha ha, Or your oh could grow a beard 🙄 Lol. Hmm, I'm glad others share this experience. I'm very interested in what's happening medically/physically to make us feel irritable. Some moments I'm just 😡 and it seems to come out of the blue!

How do you cope when it happens?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »

Have a look-see at the National Association for Premenstrual Syndrome [NAPS] site  ;)

Dr Kathleen Dalton did LOTS of research and gave LOTS of advice regarding PMT as a whole, including presenting in Court for women who went berserk to the point of murder during their PMT !

Peacegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »

Good post, thanks CLKD x

Optimist

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

CLKD......you mean I could get away with it 😂😂😂

Peace girl, this morning I put on a mindfulness meditation that I have on my phone and in the split second I wanted to kill someone, (another driver), I suddenly felt calm, (as mentioned previously). It was bizarre because I almost felt self righteous, it was surreal! I can't do mindfulness in every situation obviously but it really does help.

I came back to a load of work emails also, a few that made me really mad.... but I've learnt to close those ones down, write a note and come back to it later as I've usually calmed by then!

God I feel that I sound like a mad woman....

How do you cope?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »

Bash a cushion or bean bag?  Shout. Kick doors. Throw stuff [though nowt of value].  I was intensely angry at times pre-bleed.  Things that I would deal with for 3 weeks suddenly became a cause for  :rant: ........  :'(

Peacegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:11:46 AM »

CLKD......you mean I could get away with it 😂😂😂

Peace girl, this morning I put on a mindfulness meditation that I have on my phone and in the split second I wanted to kill someone, (another driver), I suddenly felt calm, (as mentioned previously). It was bizarre because I almost felt self righteous, it was surreal! I can't do mindfulness in every situation obviously but it really does help.

I came back to a load of work emails also, a few that made me really mad.... but I've learnt to close those ones down, write a note and come back to it later as I've usually calmed by then!

God I feel that I sound like a mad woman....

How do you cope?

Hiya,

Thats great - being aware and acknowledging is half the problem solved already isn't it? Me? Well I trained as a mindfulness/psychotherapy practitioner so you'd think it would be easy wouldn't you? But this irritability has taken me by surprise! I guess like you I try to notice what is happening and in my case holding it with compassion or humour helps. I think that's working because my partner seems able to tell me or laugh with me if I start 'going there'. This is a good sign that I'm holding it more lightly. I better not sound too smug though as I don't feel entirely secure around my ability not to have a meltdown at some point :o

Bashing/smashing stuff - been there too and probably will do again at some point - I see it works for some people but unfortunately it makes me feel worse after the temporary relief ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »

I stopped when Himself wrung out the wet cloth I had hit him with B4 he threw it back ....... so I had a floor to mop  >:(

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »

Hi Peacegirl

I don't have time to research and respond at the moment as really busy and away on and off - but progesterone and oestrogen cause physiological changes in the body at cellular level. Progesterone increases rapidly during the second half of the menstrual cycle - and when it drops after the corpus luteum dies (or after stopping the combi part of hRT) these changes are reversed - and give rise to some pms symptoms.  I understand it is all very complex and include for example sodium levels in cells and therefore flu Once the excess progesterone has left the system all returns to normal (some is produced all the time by adrenals and is sufficient for normal function - in men and women).

Apologies that is really garbled!

Hurdity x

Optimist

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »

It really is all very complex, I'm trying to gain an understanding of the physiological and psychological changes that the hormones bring as it helps me to accept what will be will be (think that tends to help me too peacegirl). I'm 5 days off the progesterone/oestrogen on which I felt fine then had a meltdown on oestrogen only Saturday/Sunday and now I feel happy again and quite calm, I feel I'm back to good again on the HRT which is where I was prior to the bleed I had in February/march. Have missed another period and I hope to God it continues!
CKLD I can't stop laughing thinking of you and hubby having a wet t-towel fight in the kitchen 😂😂😂 hope you got him a goodun!
Xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 09:16:11 PM »

In order not to be the Shouting Witch I would mutter about him ....... that particular day I was at the sink nagging beneath my breath when he came in and over-heard so I flung the wet dish-cloth hitting him square in the chest: he wrung it out ......... I still mutter, usually at the TV about stuff I have no control over  :-\

Peacegirl

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »

In order not to be the Shouting Witch I would mutter about him ....... that particular day I was at the sink nagging beneath my breath when he came in and over-heard so I flung the wet dish-cloth hitting him square in the chest: he wrung it out ......... I still mutter, usually at the TV about stuff I have no control over  :-\

I must admit I did call my printer a c**t today  :o