Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oestrogel and suncream  (Read 13058 times)

Dollydream

Oestrogel and suncream
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:04:46 PM »

Hi Ladies,

At last after a year or so I have found a HRT regime which suits me.  Last December I had the mirena fitted and have been using oestrogel and although it has caused some spotting, I am thinking that it outweighs the other issues I had with sequi and continuous tablets. 

So, with a holiday approaching the question is, as I put the gel on my arms in the morning, will it interact with suntan lotion?  I have looked in the leaflet under Other Medicines and it says - other skin products containing alcohol eg. astringents and suncream may interfere with the effect of oestrogel and this might lead to irregular bleeding  :o I certainly don't want irregular bleeding or sunburn, so what does everyone else do?  The only thing I can think of is to apply the gel on the buttocks area - but would it absorb there!!  Any suggestions?  8)

Thanks.  DollyD

Dancinggirl

Re: Oestrogel and suncream
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »

Oestrogel takes around 2 hours to absorb so apply the Oestrogel on clean dry skin and you can then apply the sun cream after the 2 hours. Simply cover your arms in the mean time allowing 10 mins for the gel to dry. You can always apply the gel to inner thighs instead. I always applied to inner thighs - let it it dry for 10 mins and then dressed. DG x

Jinja

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »

I put oestrogel on my inner thighs my routine last summer holiday was put it on when I got up 7-7.30 we then had breakfast and went down to the pool at around 10 when I put suncream on, seemed to work ok. Can't say whether it caused irregular bleeding as I've had that almost continuously since having my mirena fitted nearly a year ago!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »

I am worried about this, too as we're off to the sun in July. I usually apply my oestrogel to my upper arms and shoulders after my morning shower. But, I think I will change my routine on holiday, and apply it after my evening shower, before going out for dinner (always shower morning and evening when it's hot).

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »

I always put oestrogel on at night when I used it, therefore was fine in the daytime. Never had any problems after applying sunscreen.

Bane

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:21:46 AM »

Applying estrogel on my inner thighs works fine...let it dry, then put the sun cream

Ljp

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »

Hi, I am also a Mirena coil and oestrogel user.
I changed to applying my oestrogel later in the day, after shower before evening meal, then it took away the sun cream dilemma.
All I did was for a few days before going away, I used onecpump mornin, one pump tea time, then just two pumps early evening when on holiday.
Hope thus helps x

Dollydream

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »

Thanks very much for your replies ladies.  :) xx
I think I am going to change my application time to early evening before going out for dinner.

Just wondered, has anyone used fake tan whilst being on the oestrogel regime? 

Otes73

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »

I use fake tan with oestrogel  :)
I either put the oestrogel on in the morning and tan at night or the other way round. My GP said it was absorbed in a couple of hours so was fine. I've had no problems anyway!
X

Dollydream

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »

Thanks Otes73, I'll do that before I go away x :)

Dollydream

Re: Oestrogel and suncream - update
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »

So I've returned from holiday with an update.

A week before I went, I started to put Dove body lotion with fake tan and had some slight spotting, so I stopped using that.  When I got on holiday, I would put the gel on at night on my arms and sun cream on during the day.  By day 3, I had some breakthrough bleeding which I can only account for the sun cream which is for allergies and water resistant acting as a barrier even though I tried my best to scrub it off in the shower.  So, I put the gel onto my buttocks which was the only safe area I could think of which wouldn't have sun cream on and the bleeding stopped for the rest of the time.

Now I'm thinking of changing onto the tablets for the oestrogen part of my regime as my skin is quite dry and I would like to moisturise it without upsetting the gel application. Could someone give me the equivalent of two pumps of gel in tablets - I've been trying for 18 months to get my HRT regime right and two pumps seems to suit me.  I'm in the seventh month of the Mirena coil by the way.

Thanks very much in advance xx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »

Although reduction in oestrogen can cause oestrogen withdrawal bleeding in some women, I understand this is more usual when the lining has thickened - which it should not have done when using the Mirena. It is often the variation in progestogen levels during HRT - which causes bleeding and spotting - but in your case this is stable due to the Mirena. Of course it may be what happened to you (spotting due to variation in oestrogen levels) but could it just be coincidence? If gel suits you generally I wouldn't be in such a hurry to stop using it and changing to tablets. There are always patches which you can stick to your butt and then also not worry about the application of suncream and timing. If the spotting persists and is new since it settled after having the Mirena inserted then at this stage perhaps a visit to the doctor might be in order just to check all is OK?

Hurdity x

Dollydream

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I've had random spotting up until the 6th month on the mirena/oestrogel, but had 3 weeks clear before putting on the body lotion and that's when it started up again and stopped when I stopped using it.  I've got an appointment on Thursday to discuss with the GP.  What is the patch equivalent of two pumps - I normally like to suggest something to her or she will just prescribe the cheapest option.  xx

Katia

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »

I too have thought about sunscreen and how I would manage it with the gel.  I've also not been moisturising my body properly and not using the bath oils I used to love to use.  Which is the tablet that matches the gel?

dangermouse

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »

What about adding an extra pump when using any lotions (or sweating more) to offset the dilution?

One of my GPs (when I was trialling HRT) said she prefers patches over the gel because of how sweating on hot days affects absorption so this may be affecting it too.
Pages: [1] 2