Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sleep - does it get any better?  (Read 5861 times)

edelweiss

Sleep - does it get any better?
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »

Anyone got very bad insomnia?

I just posted on another thread that I do not feel sleepy at all ever - at least for the last months - since my HRT stopped working.

Before that I could could 'sleep on a clothes line'. as they say.

Now I have to take a pill, and that puts me out for about 3 hours - so 2am until 5am. Otherwise nothing at all.

It's so extreme. I only realised quite how bad it is when I wrote it down.

I just don't want to believe it will always be like this.

Has anyone got any positive experience to share, please? xxx

Annie0710

Re: Sleep - does it get any better?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:45 PM »

I have trouble dropping off to sleep and no matter what time I actually do drop off I wake at 6am

Now for non work days it doesn't stress me but when I know I have a 9 hr day ahead where I have to be on the ball I really do stress and Tempest bless her suggested Phenergan, I only use it on a pre work night and it's heaven !

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »

Hey! I'm glad it's still working, Annie! :) :) :) xxxxxx

edelweiss

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »

I have some Phenergan in my cabinet. Haven't tried it yet. Have tried melatonin (nothing).xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »

Maybe more gentle exercise in the fresh air?  Also have a bed-time routine.  Write down chores for the next day however simple and routine; out of your head, onto the paper.  Begin shutting down anything that activates the brain at around 8.30 p.m. - that is TV, lap-top, no telephone calls, mo texting and choose soothing music instead.  Deep bubble bath with a cuppa.  Warm bed to get into.  Well aired room.  It may take 3-4 months to get into a routine but as my Victorian Gran would say, 'sleep heals.  if one can't sleep at least the body is being rested.' 

I couldn't sleep for years properly.  Until I thought early one morning 'well not sleeping hasn't killed me yet' and promptly dropped off  ::). I was in a stressful full in-your-face job at the time.  Now I get nights when I wake after 1-2 hours and can't get back ...... or I can't get to sleep until the early hours but they are rare.  Sometimes I wake in the night to see whether I've been to sleep yet  ::)

edelweiss

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »

Thanks CLKD. But honestly it's in a different league of sleeplessness.  I've had insomnia now and again in the past but this is completely different.  Literally nothing makes me feel sleepy - the sleep hygiene stuff makes not a bit of difference. And I hate being awake because the tinnitus is so bad.

I'm having a right old pity party here aren't I? xxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »

Great post CKLD
My sleep is very erratic - I do The breathing meditation and try to relax. DG x

edelweiss

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »

Yes I agree DG, and I should say sorry CLKD I didn't mean to sound ungrateful at all, you were kind enough to write all that out to try and help  - thank you very much. i will make sure I don't overlook those important things. Hope you all sleep well tonight xxx

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »

(((Maybe try a Phenergan, just for tonight)))....... (It was recommended by a Psychiatrist. Long story).....xxxx

Dana

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 05:57:20 AM »

Yes I agree DG, and I should say sorry CLKD I didn't mean to sound ungrateful at all, you were kind enough to write all that out to try and help  - thank you very much. i will make sure I don't overlook those important things. Hope you all sleep well tonight xxx

I totally get what you're saying though. It can be a bit frustrating when people say just do so and so, when you know yourself it won't work. Sleeping shouldn't be hard work and you shouldn't have to jump through all sorts of hoops to achieve it. Sleep should be one of our most natural bodily functions.

I was always a perfect sleeper until I suffered really severe menopausal insomnia and none of the suggested things worked. HRT was a godsend for me. I'm not sure what your HRT routine is, but perhaps it could be as simple as changing the type you're on or the dose.

Sorry, I wish I had another suggestion, but from experience I know it's probably just a lot of trial and error.

Cecelia

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 06:44:03 AM »

Is phenergan prescription only? Just googled it ,sounds like it's just what I need for my severe itching and insomnia. Couldn't work out if it's available over the counter though.   

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 07:08:54 AM »

Cecilia it's a double whammy for me as I'm a terrible allergy sufferer, all sorts from asthma to hives to swelling and anaphylaxis so phenergan gives me both benefits

Personally , I couldn't be bothered with a 3-4 hr bedtime routine, I have a busy life and couldn't think of anything worse than winding down hours before bedtime, no one else in my personal life does it and I'm not willing to be a slave to something that's meant to be natural, so phenergan 2 nights a week is my saviour x

jorainbow

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 07:13:14 AM »

Good old phenergan! My gp prescribed that for my non sleeping toddler in the 80's 😁😁 bet that would be frowned upon now!!!!!

DaisyB

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »

Edelweiss - you are really getting it tough at the moment :(  I am just beginning to come out of a really bad spell ( assisted by my first flirt with HRT ;) ) I bought a little device few months back when sleep was an illusion - called the dodow- got on Amazon and it was designed by insomniacs for insomniacs! It worked! Anything was worth a go at that point - it basically is a blue light projected onto ceiling - doesn't effect brain in same way as light from phones/ technology etc do - you breath with the light and in the space of 8 minutes your breathing has been slowed to 6 breaths per minute - as it would be normally as one drops into deep sleep. For bad nights there is a 20 min programme but I found 8 was sufficient  :)  only issue I have is it's a French manufacturer and website is not the easiest to navigate. Otherwise they were very responsive to my emails after purchase so have a look on YouTube if you are interested

DaisyB

edelweiss

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »

Hello DaisyB and thank you very much. Sounds pretty too! xxx
Pages: [1] 2 3