Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Baths - types of  (Read 4996 times)

bramble

Baths - types of
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »

I am thinking of redoing my bathroom. I had it put in nearly 20 years ago when I bought this house and have decided it may be time for a change. So, 2 questions:

1. do any of you have a whirlpool bath and would you recommend it? I do a lot of gardening so lots of aches and pains.
2. do any of you have a bath with the taps in the middle? any pros or cons?

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Baths - types of
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »

First thing is to consider how to get to the taps if they need washers replaced or the whole tap/s replaced.  Ours were at the end originally and virtually impossible to get to  ::).  10 years ago I had the bath swung round in order to accommodate a shower cubicle, the taps are now easily attended to as and when.

I wouldn't bother with a whirlpool.  I never found them relaxing and the vents can get clogged up with 'germs'  :o - we have several different outlets in our shower but rarely use them.  I would go for a deep bath and lots of bubbles in a product [surround] which keeps the water warm for longer ........ when we were looking we saw a HUGE bath which would have required extra joists in modern homes or it would have landed into the lounge the moment it was filled [water weighs heavy] and stepped into  :o  :D

How about a few weeks of going to Hotels to see what they have and consider the ease of maintenance ;-) ?  Will you have a shower over the bath as well?

Mbrown001

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »

In our last house we had an enormous P shaped bath. It had a P shaped shower at one end with a big glass door.
I had always wanted a really big bath....was the reality as good. No unfortunately it wasn't.
I'm not the tallest person in the world, about 5"2.
I kept sliding down the bath when I wanted to lie down. The end was far too far away. If I tried to lie right down with the water over my shoulders I was in danger of drowning.  ;D.We had a shower that came off the combi boiler and mid taps. In retrospect I would have had a slightly smaller bath.
In the house before that we had a corner whirlpool bath and I think that was my favourite. It wasn't too long and with the jets on it was very relaxing and got rid of sore muscles.
That would be my recommendation.

We have a bog standard bath in this house that I've used twice in seven years. The money was spent on a all singing and dancing shower with jets coming from all directions.

Guess it come down to what floats your boat  ;D ;D

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »

As an aside when we stayed in Scotland the water came out of the taps directly from the Moors so it was peaty and sometimes had grass in it  ;D one had to run it for a few moments down the plug to get rid of the grass ........

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »

We stayed in a hotel on Skye once, where they had their own pump-drawn water supply.  In our bathroom, we had a huge great big deep bath with a massive mixer tap.  When we ran the water, it gushed out in torrents, like a waterfall.  I loved it!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »

We drew out the plan of our bathroom on the garage floor in chalk and stood each item as it arrived in the appropriate box - to make sure everything fitted B4 it was lugged upstairs  ::)

I have stayed in places with slipper baths - they get that name 'cos I slips down to the taps end as the slope is too steep  :D - I think those need to be made to measure!