Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thyroid antibodies  (Read 9274 times)

Chi chi

Thyroid antibodies
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about TPO antibodies?
I recently had a private blood test to check my thyroid as I have almost all symptoms of hypo, just lately my hair is awful too, even hubby has mentioned it  ???
Anyway my results came back

TSH                                1.86 miu/L.                 Range 0.27-4.2
Total thyroxine (T4)          89 nmol/L.                  Range 59-154
Free thyroxine                  12.2 pmol/L.               Range 12-22
Free T3.                           4.2 pmol/L.                 Range 3.1-6.8
Thyroglobulin antibodies.   <10 iu/L.                    Range 0-115
TPO antibodies.                  9.5 iu/L.                    Range 0-34

Does everyone have thyroid antibodies even without a thyroid problem? Is my result a positive or negative result?

Thanks in advance

Annie0710

Re: Thyroid antibodies
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:29:17 PM »

I think because there's a range it must mean we all have some

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »

What's an 'anti-body'  :-\

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:11:07 PM »

Chi chi, in my most recent experience I can say that without doubt the only way to properly review if you have thyroid issues is to see an endocrinologist.

It was 'thought' that I may have secondary hypothyroidism but upon seeing the Professor of Endocrinology I saw this week he said that a sustained pattern of broad symptoms plus repeat abnormal tests is the only way to diagnose accurately and that there is a lot of overlap of physical symptoms with menopause such as rapid weight gain, hair dryness and thinning and changes in mood etc.

Also, the thyroid interplays with the rest of the endocrine system so in menopause when hormone levels are fluctuating you can imagine that one set of tests is merely a 'snapshot'.

If you're really concerned and symptoms persist, be sure to see your GP and ask for a referral. This is important if you believe you do have thyroid issues as it makes balancing any HRT  that bit more tricky.

Good luck! xxxx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »

I used to work as an advisor for a thyroid charity.  All your results are in the normal range according to the figures you have provided.  We all have some antibodies within a normal range as stated and its only when the results are outside that normal range that Dr's take notice!

The nhs usually only checks TSH/T4 and free T4 so you have had a more comprehensive test done.

As all your results are in the normal range then it is presumed you are negative for a thryoid condition but you should show your results to a Dr for confirmation.

If you are in Uk then you would not be referred to endocrinologist on nhs. Even someone with thyroid condition will not be referred unless there are serious complications/issues. If you are in another country or can pay privately in uk  then you may be able to get opinion of endocrinologist.

If you are peri menopause or post menopause then this could also be the cause of all your symptoms rather than your thyroid.

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »

I wasn't sure about referrals I must admit, Countrybumpkin. I just assumed I must admit!

Mine was a tertiary referral via my Gynaecologist as I have complex issues, so I should have checked really before I posted. So glad you've clarified this for Chi Chi. xxxx

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I have thyroid antibodies.  I am on T4/T3 combination treatment.

CLKD antibodies are what the immune system uses to destroy bad things like viruses and infections.  When you are immune to something you have antibodies in your blood that will fight that illness or infection

In an autoimmune illness your immune system gets it wrong and forms antibodies to your body's healthy tissue and starts to attack it (thyroid - hashimotos, pancreas - diabetes, stomach lining - pernicious anaemia, connective tissue - rheumatoid arthritis, mucous membrane - Sjogren's syndome) there are many of them.

Chi chi

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies,
I understand I'm "within range" but am I "optimal" for me??
There was a GP at my Dr's that whenever I saw her she always commented on my neck and asked me to swallow, I never really knew why but since I've realised it's because my neck/throat looks swollen. I've always been a tired kind of person used to crash out on the sofa when I got in from school, I've always felt the cold a lot more than others too.
My hair is fine, brittle, lank, greasy and coarse, it's like baby hair but without the softness  ::) I can't do a thing with it, it won't even stay backcombed.
My feet feel like they're on fire when in bed and my legs feel restless, I've developed dry itchy skin, feel like I have bruises where there are none, my face and eyes are puffy as are my hands, feet, ankles, generally my whole body feels bloated and puffy.
I'm constipated most of the time, even on holiday when everyone else gets the opposite! When I do go it always feels like theres more left! I often get a horrible taste in my mouth that lasts for days and what I can only describe as a furry tongue.
My memory has become awful, I recently typed in my car reg back to front in the car park machine, and when in new restaurants etc when I go to the toilets which I always need to do I get disoriented with all the doors and can't remember which one I came in through ( this is particularly scary for me).
One of my fingers has started to go numb quite frequently and I get ringing in my ears.
I know this may sound like I'm copying all the symptoms of hypo but they're all very real for me, not to mention the low moods, anxiety, zero libido and general lack of enthusiasm for anything. If we go out shopping, walking etc I'm totally shattered and could quite easily go to bed afterwards.
I know these symptoms could be down to anything, my thyroid results have always been in range, just!
Nobody on my mums side has had any thyroid issues but as I grew up not having anything to do with my dads side I don't know about any of his family?
Something just isn't right but it's getting the Drs etc to listen and take you seriously without putting everything down to depression and anxiety!  :-\  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »

I cannot comment on your circumstances as I am not medically trained.  the only thing that jumps out at me from my own experience is that your free T4 is only just in the reference range at 12.2 and could be too low for your own optimal health.  Although your TSH is well within range that may not be optimal for you personally.  When my TSH is over 1 I get hypo symptoms and my endocrinologist fine tunes my dose to keep it ticking over at just under 1 which seems the optimal level for my health. Even though it would be classed as 'normal' at a much higher level it would not be normal for me.

The GPs tend to go on the blood results whereas my endo goes on clinical symptoms and has a much more open mind on it all.  I am very lucky to be under his care.

Chi chi

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

Thanks babyjane  :)
Back in July 2015 on blood tests that  prof studd took my free thyroxine dropped to 11.9, in the letter to my GP he wrote that it was suggestive of hypo and would discuss it with me at next appt, he never did and since it's returned to just in range  ::)

Can I ask did you have trouble getting diagnosed /listened to? What were your symptoms?

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:41:44 PM »

chi chi I could have written your list of symptoms.  I spent years back and forth to the GP getting treatment for them.  Then my mother was taken very ill and taken to hospital.  Long story short she was found to be hypothyroid.  My symptoms mirrored hers.  I asked my GP to please humour me and test me for thyroid problems.  He did but reassured me 'it is very unlikely'.  He telephoned me at 7.30 one evening to explain my results showed that I was extremely hypothyroid (TSH was 52 and haemoglobin was 6!).   It took 18 months to get the levels stabilised and I had been close to needing a blood transfusion.

This was all 30 years ago and since then it has been discovered there is a strong genetic link to this problem in my mothers side of the family.  I did not really stabilise properly until I was referred to the lovely endocrinologist I am still with today.  I think I probably owe that man my life.

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »

Chi Chi I have / have had most of your symptoms, along with double vision, I too thought thyroid and I now have white dead fingers and toe/ankle/finger spasms that I can't control.  I paid for a full thyroid test and have very similar results to you and the company didn't write anything about there being a problem.  A neurologist strongly thought I had Myasthenia Gravis then he didn't think  I did.  My thoughts since are that if I have an auto immune 'something with more specific symptoms' will emerge to get me a diagnosis

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »

Tempest I am glad you got to see your endocrinologist and going via gyny or another consultant is probably the best way to do it - Gp's have their hands tied with endo referrals!
One thing I learned during the training for the support charity is that no one ever knows what is the normal level for anyone other than by trail and error and how the patient is feeling.  They originally came up with that range by testing a set number of people with no symptoms of thyroid disease who felt well and this was the range they got from those people and its what they still use.  So one person in that group cold have been at one end of range and another at the other end - its a very imprecise measurement.
Drs should not just go by blood results but also by patients symptoms and how they feel but it seems rare for them to do this.
I too noticed that the free T4 was just in the normal range as well.
Chichi one thing you could do is to discuss with your GP if they would be willing to give you the absolute minimum dose of thyroxine for 6 weeks (25mcg) and after the 6 weeks to be retested to see what your tsh etc is and also report on how your symptoms are. Some GP's are willing but most are not as they are prescribing off license and you usually have to sign a waiver if they are willing but I know someone who did this and felt much better on the tiny dose so she was able to stay on it.

Cassie

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »

Your test is a bit different from my results, it should say either positive or negative to antibodies, I am positive, still not really sure what it means, when I asked my GP, all he said was, your thyroid has been "attacked" at some stage, he prescribed Eltroxin which I drink daily. Your TSH is nice & low, they like to keep that below 2 ideally, below 1.5. You need to remember that although your results may fall within the so called normal range, you do have to go by your symptoms as well that is really the only way to address thyroid dysfunction.

Jimsmrs

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »

I used to work as an advisor for a thyroid charity.  All your results are in the normal range according to the figures you have provided.  We all have some antibodies within a normal range as stated and its only when the results are outside that normal range that Dr's take notice!

The nhs usually only checks TSH/T4 and free T4 so you have had a more comprehensive test done.

As all your results are in the normal range then it is presumed you are negative for a thryoid condition but you should show your results to a Dr for confirmation.

If you are in Uk then you would not be referred to endocrinologist on nhs. Even someone with thyroid condition will not be referred unless there are serious complications/issues. If you are in another country or can pay privately in uk  then you may be able to get opinion of endocrinologist.

If you are peri menopause or post menopause then this could also be the cause of all your symptoms rather than your thyroid.

I'm in Scotland...my Thyroid went over-active a few years ago, to the point were I was 'rattling'....my GP was convinced it was my anxiety that had come back,until he took my blood pressure and pulse, both were though the roof, my pulse was 146 at rest, he took blood and fast tracked it...in the meantime he put me on Propranolol and Carbizamole. 4 days later he phoned me and my Thyroid levels were extremely high and he was referring me to the Endo dept at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, 2 days later I received a phone call from the Endo's secretary giving me an appointment the following week, all on the NHS !!!!
He diagnosed Graves' disease
treated with Radioactive Iodine to kill the Thyroid which put my Thyroid under active, I am now on Thyroxine.
Pages: [1] 2 3