Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: vague vertigo  (Read 3062 times)

PoF

vague vertigo
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:55:01 PM »

Well, every year or so I post a forlorn rambling message as I discover yet another delicious menopause-related affliction.

I truly appreciate the ladies on this forum - every so often I return here for inspiration.  What ladies write does really help me, it really is a source of comfort.

So, i'm figuring from other messages that vague VERTIGO symptoms are also possibly menopause related?  I've heard of others speak of the 'spaced out' feeling; the slightly woozy head feeling, the ever so slightly dizzy feeling??

I have had a couple of vertigo attacks in the last 10 years, but I've noticed I get the vague woozy feeling more often, now I 've come to note down when it happens.   At first I thought it was just me, but there's a definite mild dizzy feeling that comes on sometimes and lasts for some days sometimes, then it goes away.  Yet again, it just really gets me down ...      I've been through prolonged infertility, premature menopause; major periods of panic attacks, adrenalin surges ..... headaches ....    just fed up of feeing rubbish really  :'( :-\

I get so tired of all the media images of women and 'well-being' as if we all just need to eat fruit and veg, meditate and take exercise to float around feeling fabulous, invigorated and peaceful every day.

the only well-being I ever experience is the few minutes after a strong sugary café latte and a big bar of choccy.   I don't care if it's bad for you   ... let the person who wrote that rule be menopausal ..... :(

Tempest

Re: vague vertigo
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »

Girl, YOU ROCK. That first paragraph and last sentence - classic. ;)

Hugs,

Tempest xxxx

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »

PoF if everything could be fixed with fruit & veg. Unfortunately they can't & we should be allowed a latte or in my case a large soya hot chocolate with marshmallows! No need for guilt. I girl needs what she needs, end of! 😂

wombat62

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »

Fruit and veg is the answer to everything....if only it was that easy! Eat loads of the stuff, still feel ****! None of that special ingredient that's in chocolate... ;D

I get so cross at articles which say eat well, exercise blah blah...it's the answer but I do all that stuff, on hrt and still have periods where you feel rubbish!

I had my first attack of vertigo a year ago, frightened the life out of me. That came after a couple of stressy days and must have turned over too quickly after waking up.  I had a mild attack a few weeks ago, again on turning whilst waking up and that morning one side of my head was really stuffy, ears, nose etc. Maybe it's the drying out of everything that causes it?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »

Hi PoF - have you had blood sugar levels tested, amongst other things that could cause these feelings? Also are you taking HRT? I would definitely see a doc about this so that various explanations can be ruled out.

Nothing like a chunk of choc to cheer a girl up :).....However if you do eat a lot of sugar and refined carbs every day and are overweight (or even if not), not wanting to be a killjoy, but you could be at risk of developing insulin resistance and this could give rise to the feelings you experience. I'm sure not - but thought I should mention in case!

Hurdity x

PoF

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »

yes i take HRT patches which are mostly OK for me.
my BMI is only 19 so I am on the thinner side of normal weight luckily.

I am just fed up with feeling below par with various things.    Got premature ovarian failure at 32 but it really took years to figure out that was the problem so only went to HRT at 42 after infertility.  ALl that was resolved finally, and we adopted and are very happy at last.

but it means I've been 'menopausal' for 15 years and counting ... and am not even old enough to be at the normal age for menopause yet ... still have a few years to go!

another issue is that my GP surgery never seems to have appointments like in the old days where you could book 4 days ahead and make arrangements at work to go in a timely manner.   You either have to book about SIX WEEKS ahead, OR ring on the day to try and get a cancellation for that day.
 I literally can't do that easily as I am a teacher and have no time to get to a phone as I start on duty at 8.15 am so can't make a phone call easily (and the lines are busy if you try to ring at 8 am). For the rest of the day I am then teaching solidly.    Also, I can't really book an appointment on the day as I can't drop everything and just go to the doctors on the same day  either because no-one can cover my teaching load at such short notice.  And ... I did book 5 weeks ahead, in half term, but the surgery cancelled it twice!

personally I think it's not much to ask to be able to book a GP appointment 3 - 4 days in advance surely ..... these small things make me feel low and powerless and then I feel worse.   :'(
I think I might try and summon up the energy to try and 'ring on the day' and see what happens.   

edelweiss

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »

Hello PoF, I am sorry you took so long to be diagnosed and for your problems with infertility, but delighted to hear you adopted successfully many congratulations.

Your GP surgery sounds very difficult - arrggghh! Have you thought about writing to them explaining your situation i.e. difficult to call at 8.15am because of your job, but that you need to see a doc and you've been cancelled twice - please can they offer an appt asap, then perhaps you could get time off that day? Could that help at all?

You've probably thought of this already - sorry if so. It does seem mad you have to jump through these hoops to get seen at all! Good luck! xxx

PoF

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »

thank you.  I've got to plod on I suppose.  I can manage waiting 4 - 5 days, which I think is reasonable, but the two extremes of booking either on the day and then dropping everything immediately to attend the surgery, OR, booking (literally) 6 weeks in advance, seems very inefficient for everyone.

for lots of people, they can't just 'drop everything' at work and rush to an outside appointment ....
Often I will just see a nurse ... and even then, THEY will usually say 'if you are worried, go and see your GP ....' so it's going round in circles!  At least as a result of posting I have registered for online booking appointments and once I get a password from the surgery I can do that hopefully.
I also sometimes find it difficult to negotiate the system - I guess I am not very assertive.

a nurse TOLD me to book an appointment with the Family PLanning Doctor as she knew about HRT / contraception related things.   So I duly did that, but the receptionist asked me what the appointment was for, booked me in, then promptly rang me back to cancel because she said it was the wrong clinic. So one goes round in circles sometimes and that really gets to me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »

I have vague balance symptoms, like I put my foot down but it doesn't land where expected so I wobble - but never enough to visit the GP with.  Same as my woozy head, I think I have a nerve in my neck which when I turn suddenly, makes me go 'oh!' but the sensation is gone as soon as I utter the word.

Having suffered true vertigo a few years ago this isn't even similar but symptoms are enough for me to notice. 

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »

PoF, I was suffering like you and thankfully got doc apt. turns out I have fluid in right ear which doc reckons is causing dizzy spells, she also said meno isn't helping :P. she prescribed stemetil and although it's still there it's not so bad,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop so the Eustachian tubes may narrow  >:(

Kkay

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »

PoF, I am a PoFer too. I had terrible vertigo when I first went into menopause, until I found the right HRT which for me at the time was Estrogel. I could barely walk.